Have You Ever Left A Buyer A Bad Review?

janet_louise

I’m just curious. I feel as sellers, we often feel obligated to leave 5 Stars even if the experience with the buyer hasn’t been great.

If I’ve had a difficult Buyer, I’ll often look at their reviews from sellers, and think to myself…well this was certainly not my experience.

To that end, I’ve started leaving what I think are fair reviews of Buyers. Just honest write ups of my experiences. For example. I had a Buyer who is also a Seller, who tried to avoid paying my rush delivery fee and became quite argumentative…but upon looking at her gig, lo and behold, she charges the same rush fee on her gigs…so…why are you haggling with me over my charges?

My review was polite and factual. I noted that it’s frustrating as a seller to have to haggle my prices with a Buyer who also offers the same gig extras in her seller profile. I don’t leave 1 star when I write these Buyer reviews…but I don’t give them 5 stars either. It really depends on the experience.

So…that being said, since I never seem to see sellers leaving bad reviews on buyers…am I in the minority here? Just curious. Have a great day Fiverr-ians

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

I have. Some customer are really difficult to deal with, and I think it’s better for the community if they go away with a correct estimation and review of the kind of client’s they are, to help another fellow sellers, avoid any confrontation, or be aware of the kind of customers they are receiving.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I left a buyer a 4 star before on a review. They ask me to write an 8 bar rap for them about any topic at all. Instead of giving them 8, I delivered 12 bars since I found the writing to be easy on my part. They then asked for a revision on the 12 bars asking me to add certain topics even though they stated I could rap about anything I wanted. They ended up giving me a 5 star rating but I gave them a 4 since i ended up changing half of the lines I previously wrote for them.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

No I haven’t (or any so far). Also, if it’s a re-seller I wouldn’t know whether they’d want the review on their profile at all (since it would then show to their buyers/potential buyers). Giving a bad review to them could obviously make them unhappy about it. It might be better not to post a negative review of the buyer at all (especially based on what one seller said they experienced).

• Like 14
  • Up 2

I have once, with a difficult buyer, who was clearly going to give a – not so great review – for not catering to his unrealistic expectations.

Other than that, generally, I have been surprised if a buyer has left me a 3 or under star review, because there had been no indication that they weren’t happy, and our correspondence had been good.

In these type of cases I feel sellers are at a disadvantage, because there unreasonable buyer has a 5 star review and a favorable comment - on his profile page - but on our pages we have the 3 star or below review accompanied by a negative comment. So no one gets to find out by looking at the buyer’s profile page - what they may be dealing with, rather - you have to jump all over fiverr, and check the seller’s pages for a better indication of the buyer, as well as the rebuttal of the seller.

I feel that the seller’s rebuttal should also be visible on the buyer’s page to help keep things honest, and on the level…

• Like 18

On 11/27/2019 at 7:08 PM, socialhonor said:

I have once, with a difficult buyer, who was clearly going to give a – not so great review – for not catering to his unrealistic expectations.

Other than that, generally, I have been surprised if a buyer has left me a 3 or under star review, because there had been no indication that they weren’t happy, and our correspondence had been good.

In these type of cases I feel sellers are at a disadvantage, because there unreasonable buyer has a 5 star review and a favorable comment - on his profile page - but on our pages we have the 3 star or below review accompanied by a negative comment. So no one gets to find out by looking at the buyer’s profile page - what they may be dealing with, rather - you have to jump all over fiverr, and check the seller’s pages for a better indication of the buyer, as well as the rebuttal of the seller.

I feel that the seller’s rebuttal should also be visible on the buyer’s page to help keep things honest, and on the level…

Exactly right. Sellers can’t give a buyer a review until they leave a review first but until we see the bad review we have no indication anything was wrong. The bad review comes out of the blue without warning. 

• Like 23

I think the lowest I went was 3* while, honestly, the person was insufferable and deserved less. But the project was finished and they seemed to have a blast working with me so I just kept it at 3.

I rarely have experiences that are downright negative so usually if something was off but not too off, I’ll leave 4* and describe in a sentence or two what the issue was.

• Like 16

Exactly right. Sellers can’t give a buyer a review until they leave a review first but until we see the bad review we have no indication anything was wrong. The bad review comes out of the blue without warning.

Yes! And usually involves a lie of some sort - like a 3 star on communication, when you have had great communication… or something along those lines. So the rebuttal is very important - as is the heads- up to for other sellers.

• Like 12
  • Congrats! 2

Yes! And usually involves a lie of some sort - like a 3 star on communication, when you have had great communication… or something along those lines. So the rebuttal is very important - as is the heads- up to for other sellers.

And usually involves a lie of some sort

In my case always it involves a lie. If it was something true that I did wrong it might be different.

In one of my bad reviews the person simply didn’t like people who do what I do and went around to many of us in our category leaving exactly the same review at the same time immediately upon delivery.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

And usually involves a lie of some sort

In my case always it involves a lie. If it was something true that I did wrong it might be different.

In one of my bad reviews the person simply didn’t like people who do what I do and went around to many of us in our category leaving exactly the same review at the same time immediately upon delivery.

Ughh… so it was motivated by their personal vendetta…

And mine too! I think the thing that makes me most infuriated, is when the buyer gives less than 5 stars on “Service as Described” – when the work was completed exactly as described! Super annoying.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Ughh… so it was motivated by their personal vendetta…

And mine too! I think the thing that makes me most infuriated, is when the buyer gives less than 5 stars on “Service as Described” – when the work was completed exactly as described! Super annoying.

Yes it’s infuriating to be publicly lied about in a review.

• Like 11
  • Congrats! 1

I have two 3* reviews, both times there was the tiniest indication that something might be off but people would just refuse to elaborate. After all the questions and attempts to guess, I’d just throw my hands in the air at some point.

That’s the only positive thing about changes in feedback removal policy. I became more accepting of negative feedback, justified or not.

Back to reviewing buyers, I have a regular buyer who has the strangest manner of communication. It’s like every sentence is a riddle that I have to decipher. And they don’t use capital letters or paragraphs. And update the requirements 10 times after the order is placed. And randomly request faster deliveries in the middle of it all.

Sometimes I feel like I should leave a lower review just to warn people that this person is very chaotic to work with but we’re 70+ orders in and I don’t want to ruin the relationship.

• Like 19

I have two 3* reviews, both times there was the tiniest indication that something might be off but people would just refuse to elaborate. After all the questions and attempts to guess, I’d just throw my hands in the air at some point.

That’s the only positive thing about changes in feedback removal policy. I became more accepting of negative feedback, justified or not.

Back to reviewing buyers, I have a regular buyer who has the strangest manner of communication. It’s like every sentence is a riddle that I have to decipher. And they don’t use capital letters or paragraphs. And update the requirements 10 times after the order is placed. And randomly request faster deliveries in the middle of it all.

Sometimes I feel like I should leave a lower review just to warn people that this person is very chaotic to work with but we’re 70+ orders in and I don’t want to ruin the relationship.

You’ve done 70+ orders with them? I had someone message me that way and I refused to work with him. My nerves can’t take that. Every sentence he said was a riddle which I spent five minutes trying to decipher.

I use a lot of communication (as I’m sure you do too) and it just isn’t worth it to try and deal with someone that difficult. I have a lot of sympathy for you.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

You’ve done 70+ orders with them? I had someone message me that way and I refused to work with him. My nerves can’t take that. Every sentence he said was a riddle which I spent five minutes trying to decipher.

I use a lot of communication (as I’m sure you do too) and it just isn’t worth it to try and deal with someone that difficult. I have a lot of sympathy for you.

Rare revisions, generous tips. It’s like they need someone to just accept them as they are, I don’t know. 🙂

• Like 17
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Rare revisions, generous tips. It’s like they need someone to just accept them as they are, I don’t know. 🙂

I have such strange gigs I really have to have someone who communicates in a basic easy way or at least has understanding of what I communicate easily. Sometimes they tell me they are going to use google translate which I also refuse.

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

On 11/28/2019 at 1:07 PM, misscrystal said:

@misscrystal I was thinking exactly the same when I read @lenasemenkova comment. Usually when a client change his mind several times and show me that they don’t know what they want I prefer to not work on their project. I had lots of bad experiences with that. Even warning that any change to my end will cost an additional fee, it always ends with the client demanding free revisions and tense situations. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

No I haven’t (or any so far). Also, if it’s a re-seller I wouldn’t know whether they’d want the review on their profile at all (since it would then show to their buyers/potential buyers). Giving a bad review to them could obviously make them unhappy about it. It might be better not to post a negative review of the buyer at all (especially based on what one seller said they experienced).

I’m at a point where I don’t care if the Buyer is unhappy about getting a bad review. My reviews are fair and not over the top. I’ve not gone lower than 3 stars yet. If the Buyer/Reseller was being difficult, I want my fellow Fiverr sellers to be aware of this. If it affects their seller status, so be it. Respect is a two way street. And chances are if one seller has had a bad experience but was too afraid to post a negative review, there are plenty of others who also have had this experience.

• Like 18
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I though about doing it once because the buyer (also a seller) was trying to abuse the revision system and was asking for things that we never spoke about before placing the order. I finally agreed to do those things because it wasn’t a lot of work. Even so, this person was very rude when asking for more revisions and I really wanted to leave the review he deserved so people could know the kind of buyer he is. Sadly, he left the order to autocomplete and never left any review, so I didn’t have a chance to leave mine either.

• Like 14

This is cool. I’ve gone 1-star on a buyer twice. The first was completely deserved. The buyer asked rudely that I review an order which was automatically closed. That wasn’t a problem and since he had mentioned that he made changes to my final delivery, I politely asked him to send in his copy. He then sent it in as a PDF file so very politely I mentioned that he had sent me the wrong file as I expected it in editable Word Format which was what I submitted. The next thing I saw was very disturbing, he said so many unpleasant things and before I knew it he left a review in anger.

The second 1-star review was also disappointing but could have been avoided if I had agreed to cancel. The buyer was quite satisfied with the job and asked me to make some quick reviews because I used “certain words” he wouldn’t normally use. I asked for instances but he couldn’t provide any. On my second delivery, he sent in a dispute citing that the entire project was a waste. I was pissed, to say the least.

In my opinion, buyer experience is relative. In any case, I’d suggest you leave honest reviews about your overall experience rather than giving every buyer a 5-star rating for hiring your services.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...