Help Break The Stereotype!

Hi everyone.

I was thinking of posting this for quite some time now and today I finally made up my mind to do so. Before I begin, please, please, don’t take my words in the wrong way - I don’t mean to start any dispute, and would just like to convey my message to the Fiverr buyers and sellers.

While working on Fiverr, as an article and blog post writer, you’ve all probably seen - in the same way I have - some seller writers who may not have a completely thorough knowledge of English. And yes, in some cases they do originate from countries where the native language is not English.

But then, is it right to judge us all due to the mistakes of a handful of people?

I see BR where it’s clearly written “people from Pakistan, India, Bangladesh” etc. please do not apply. I understand that you as a client may have had a bad experience before; but, please do remember that we sellers are not all the same.

This stereotype very clearly needs to be broken, because it’s ruining the image for those of us who CAN write. I am a Bangladeshi, and proud of it. I can write in flawless English, as well as any of you.

My earnest request: if you see someone struggling with their English, people please just gently correct them. Don’t mock. If it were you in their place, you’d have wanted the same courtesy right?

Again, no disputes, just peace.

Regards,
A fellow writer

Your point is well taken. I have 3 main subcontractors that I use for various tasks. One in Peru, another in Turkey and a third in Namibia. All are great at what they do, there is no language barrier and we get along great.

Two thoughts come to mind here.

1. I think that much of the frustration you see is when people from “some countries” put up a profile in the proofreading and writing categories, and have the most atrocious English skills possible. They are generally accompanied by a fake profile picture as well as many other “red flags” that we see on a daily basis. There is no way that a gig such as yours would ever be confused with those. It is professional and I would not hesitate to do business with you for a second.

2. It may be more than just the language barrier that puts people off. You will see references to those “2 countries” over and over again, not only for the fraudulent gigs they create, but also for the fact that most times I have been ripped off, mistreated or cheated, it was those “2 countries”, and many here have the same scars.

Just my 2 cents.

You do write well. And I love the fact you back your talent. You don’t hide behind fake pictures or a fake location.

I hope you serve as an inspiration to the rest of Fiverr. I hope other sellers realise it doesn’t matter where you’re from, what you look like, AS LONG AS YOU’RE TALENTED! :slight_smile:

Keep killing it!

I’m glad that you’re getting along well with your subcontractors; it makes me so happy to see that many great relationships like this exist too.

I understand what you mean by the people with atrocious English in their profiles, and fake profile pictures - they’re a big part of why the horrible stereotype now exists in the first place.

It’s also true that clients may have had more than one bad experience when it comes to writers.

A possible solution is instead of boycotting some country’s sellers all together, maybe, just take a second to look though the seller’s profile and judge whether its genuine. In that way, there’s a lesser chance of being cheated, and everyone’s happy.

Thank you so much for your reply :slight_smile:

Haha thank you so much for your awesome words Sara! I hope so too. It hurts me to see sellers getting mocked for their English, and the stereotype just seems to be getting worse.

Maybe together we can spread the message:

Loved this quote btw :smile:

The most honest dependable capable guy I ever knew, an auto mechanic, was Bangladeshi and he was responsible for my having the highest regard possible for those from your country. Have you ever heard of anyone tipping a mechanic $100? He got that routinely from many of his loyal customers.

$100? Wow! He must have been one terrific guy.

He was. I will never forget him. I hated to move away from where his shop was. I am an old foreign car enthusiast so having a great mechanic is important to me.

But therein lies the problem… it takes time, and some risk assessment, to figure out if someone is genuine. Time is something that a lot of us don’t have a lot of.

There’s also this form of a stereotype that only NATIVE English speakers can write great content. I see many times in the BR where buyers say ‘Only Native US or UK speakers need to apply’. I think these prejudices should be abolished on Fiverr.

I was taught by my English teacher that someone can be good at spoken English but very poor in written English. The reverse is also true. Sellers should be given equal opportunities regardless of which part of the earth they come from.

Happy selling!

People can buy what they want from whom they want. Don’t be so ridiculous to assume that people don’t buy from you because of where you are from. There a several hundred reasons why in my old job as a Scottish hotel manager, I would not hire someone from Bordeaux in France, never mind Pakistan, to write a local guidebook for me.

Quit the victimhood. Start proving yourself. Most of my buyers don’t think I’m a native English speaker. This is a non-issue unless you need it to be to justify something to yourself.

I don’t think that all of them make such request because of “stereotype”. Most probably they are looking for someone to write from their native place or someone they think are more aware of current trend in their country. For example, if someone is looking for a script in “Hindi”, out of so many Hindi speaking countries, that guy will most probably look for a guy from India. Or even end up writing "people from Fiji, Pakistan & Bangladesh” etc. please do not apply.

I’ve always said a person’s location has little to do with their ability to produce a great product. Your strength is the ability to take the time to read a client’s requirements and produce a well-written bid on buyer’s request.

If someone blatantly states they don’t want to work with someone from a particular country, trust me, they are probably not the type of person you’d want to buy from you. That is their loss and not yours.

You are an honest seller, who exceptional skills - I know, without a doubt, you will go far. I know it’s a bit painful to start out but when you do become a TRS, you know you earned it with hard work.

I told you, out of like 40 or so bids, yours was definitely the best.

I completely agree with you on this <3

Amazing people like you are the ones who make working on Fiverr worth every bit of the hard work :heart:

You got that backward. It’s amazing, professional sellers like you that keeps buyers coming back for more. You do great work, for a great price and aim to please the client.

Thank you for my great article. I have no problem recommending you - no promise you’ll get an order but I have you marked as a favorite. :slight_smile:

This had to be said; I definitely see that type of discrimination a lot.

I laugh sometimes, but I’m humbled by the thought that this could be anyone and we’d hate for it to be us. Treat others how you want to be treated!

I dislike this practice too but at the same time, when I have posted buyer requests and got 30 jumbled, nonsensical, overpriced offers from clearly rubbish sellers in those (and other) countries then it would not be unreasonable to not want those again.
While I have received bad offers from native English speakers, at least it doesn’t look like someone just fell asleep on the keyboard!

Agree with you,
PS: We are not taking you wrong, Your opinion is valuable

Haha I understand. It must be difficult for you as a buyer to have to go through all those requests. But, there are two sides two every coin right; when you eliminate sellers from a specific country, you take out both the good and bad.

I guess it’s a matter of personal choice - some are willing to sort through all types of offers, and then there are some who are not.