HELP! Do you think you can build a professional business on fiverr?

itsryanash

Hi fiverr team,

I am new to fiverr and got my first sale in my first week. I am a professional consultant and have helped many business (startups to enterprises) learn how to sell. I am currently testing the feasibility of fiverr when it comes to building a ‘professional’ business. I am testing whether I am able to develop long term relationships with customers I have acquired from fiverr.

As I scan all the gigs on fiverr, I see alot of gigs that are VERY helpful but are things that you can do rather quickly without really understanding your clients business (i.e. business cards or logos). When it comes to selling (selling well) and sales strategy, there is alot more homework that needs to be done prior to competing one of my gig then when compared to creating something like business cards or a logo. Since I am a new seller, I have heavily discounted all of my gigs to hopefully pick up some sales momentum and traction but it is not feasible for me in the long term to keep my gig prices so low.

A few questions:

1. What are your average order sizes?

2. Do you think people search on fiverr for professional services that are worth more than only $5?

3. How many of your customers are repeat customers?

Looking forward to everyones feedback.

Ryan

According to Fiverr’s CEO, 75% of all sales are to small and medium businesses.
Since the launch of Fiverr Pro, there has been an increase (or at least I have seen one) in the number of clients who are not looking for the bottom of the barrel prices. For me, orders of $100-600 are becoming very common now and my average gig price has doubled in the past 3 months.
If you offer something useful, if you present yourself well, if you communicate well - you will get sales at pretty much any price.

Since the launch of Fiverr Pro, there has been an increase (or at least I have seen one) in the number of clients who are not looking for the bottom of the barrel prices. For me, orders of $100-600 are becoming very common now and my average gig price has doubled in the past 3 months.

If you offer something useful, if you present yourself well, if you communicate well - you will get sales at pretty much any price.

Wow! Thanks for the feedback @eoinfinnegan

Same here as first you have to start from small then increase the price after you build you profile

Guest jenihiggs

Hey there,

I don’t think it’s always the case that most orders are completed quickly and without a lot of work. I know that I end up doing a TON of work and going back and forth with clients for my ghostwriting gig.

My average order size is around $150, but that’s because most of clients want to break their full-length books up into smaller increments. I make around $600-$1200 per client with all their orders combined together. About 75% of my clients are repeat. I spend an average of 4 months working with each client.

I’ve been able to build a sustainable business on fiverr. It’s definitely possible. There are lots of clients looking for high quality, professional work and willing to pay for it.

Hey there,

I don’t think it’s always the case that most orders are completed quickly and without a lot of work. I know that I end up doing a TON of work and going back and forth with clients for my ghostwriting gig.

My average order size is around $150, but that’s because most of clients want to break their full-length books up into smaller increments. I make around $600-$1200 per client with all their orders combined together. About 75% of my clients are repeat. I spend an average of 4 months working with each client.

I’ve been able to build a sustainable business on fiverr. It’s definitely possible. There are lots of clients looking for high quality, professional work and willing to pay for it.

@jenihiggs interesting thoughts. Some of the stats you posted are really interesting! Also, the fact that you were able to build a sustainable business on fiverr is very impressive! Thx for posting.

Hi fiverr team,

I am new to fiverr and got my first sale in my first week. I am a professional consultant and have helped many business (startups to enterprises) learn how to sell. I am currently testing the feasibility of fiverr when it comes to building a ‘professional’ business. I am testing whether I am able to develop long term relationships with customers I have acquired from fiverr.

As I scan all the gigs on fiverr, I see alot of gigs that are VERY helpful but are things that you can do rather quickly without really understanding your clients business (i.e. business cards or logos). When it comes to selling (selling well) and sales strategy, there is alot more homework that needs to be done prior to competing one of my gig then when compared to creating something like business cards or a logo. Since I am a new seller, I have heavily discounted all of my gigs to hopefully pick up some sales momentum and traction but it is not feasible for me in the long term to keep my gig prices so low.

A few questions:

1. What are your average order sizes?

2. Do you think people search on fiverr for professional services that are worth more than only $5?

3. How many of your customers are repeat customers?

Looking forward to everyones feedback.

Ryan

you can do rather quickly without really understanding your clients business (i.e. business cards or logos)

You’re probably looking at $5 gigs where the client doesn’t expect much from the logo. Creating a professional logo can take weeks of preparation. It depends on a seller and that’s why logo design price range is from $5 - $2000.

As long as you’re offering high quality service that people need you can charge basically whatever you want for it.

To answer your questions

• personal
  • yes
  • 50%

you can do rather quickly without really understanding your clients business (i.e. business cards or logos)

You’re probably looking at $5 gigs where the client doesn’t expect much from the logo. Creating a professional logo can take weeks of preparation. It depends on a seller and that’s why logo design price range is from $5 - $2000.

As long as you’re offering high quality service that people need you can charge basically whatever you want for it.

To answer your questions

• personal
  • yes
  • 50%

@uxreview I was generalizing but thanks for the feedback. Once I get some traction, I will begin testing a higher average order value. 50% repeats is pretty impressive. Thx

@mariokluser wow 90%. Turning those prospects into promoters! Great job!

I actually don’t think about this that much. Fiverr is not my main source of income, therefore I’m very careful with who I take in as client.

If my guts tell me that it will be a pain to do a certain job, the client and I are not a good match or both, I don’t do it. Just last week I rejected a job worth $450,-. The problem was that I couldn’t bring it in line with my feeling of responsibility. I was thinking about writing a post about that, but I didn’t had the time.

I actually don’t think about this that much. Fiverr is not my main source of income, therefore I’m very careful with who I take in as client.

If my guts tell me that it will be a pain to do a certain job, the client and I are not a good match or both, I don’t do it. Just last week I rejected a job worth $450,-. The problem was that I couldn’t bring it in line with my feeling of responsibility. I was thinking about writing a post about that, but I didn’t had the time.

@mariokluser you know you are winning when you can refuse business!

Your strategy to lowball everything until you get some reviews is wise. It took me months to get my pricing and package sizes right. After 20-30 reviews, I raised prices too much and had to walk them back down.

Jeni has a great thing going, and her numbers look awesome. For me, it didn’t work to offer $5-$25 gigs and hope buyers would upsell themselves. I found that the $50+ buyers are a different animal than the $5 buyers, and only the former has any realistic potential to become repeat $500+ buyers, who make up the great majority of my revenue.

You seem to have very good business instincts. You will love how easy it is to try new ideas on Fiverr, and how readily you can experiment with pricing once you find an opening in the market.

Your strategy to lowball everything until you get some reviews is wise. It took me months to get my pricing and package sizes right. After 20-30 reviews, I raised prices too much and had to walk them back down.

Jeni has a great thing going, and her numbers look awesome. For me, it didn’t work to offer $5-$25 gigs and hope buyers would upsell themselves. I found that the $50+ buyers are a different animal than the $5 buyers, and only the former has any realistic potential to become repeat $500+ buyers, who make up the great majority of my revenue.

You seem to have very good business instincts. You will love how easy it is to try new ideas on Fiverr, and how readily you can experiment with pricing once you find an opening in the market.

@selfors that is some GREAT feedback! I appreciate it a lot - really helps with my strategy. Sounds like 20-30 reviews is a good target. Just throwing it out there, if anyone you work with needs some sales help, send them my way! Happy selling!

Archived