Help with .srt subtitles client, please

lopezayelen

Hello, everyone! I started my career as a subtitler in Fiverr a few months ago. By now, I had a few clients and they were always happy with my deliveries.
But now I have a client that asked for a .srt file, which I delivered on time, but he claims that the format of the subtitles is not good for his video. He is using Premiere Pro, trying to burn the subtitles to his video, and he says they are formated for 720x480 and he needs them for a 1920x1080 resolution.
I explained to him that .srt files have no format, so I can’t do anything about it, and actually tried to help him researching about Premiere Pro. Turns out that platform has a problem with the 1920x1080 subtitles, so I explained to him that it’s a platform problem and he should try another one, but he won’t accept my order.
Any subtitler had a similar problem? What should I do?
Thanks in advance!

Hello, everyone! I started my career as a subtitler in Fiverr a few months ago. By now, I had a few clients and they were always happy with my deliveries.

But now I have a client that asked for a .srt file, which I delivered on time, but he claims that the format of the subtitles is not good for his video. He is using Premiere Pro, trying to burn the subtitles to his video, and he says they are formated for 720x480 and he needs them for a 1920x1080 resolution.

I explained to him that .srt files have no format, so I can’t do anything about it, and actually tried to help him researching about Premiere Pro. Turns out that platform has a problem with the 1920x1080 subtitles, so I explained to him that it’s a platform problem and he should try another one, but he won’t accept my order.

Any subtitler had a similar problem? What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Fiverr forums.

What should I do?

This is always a difficult position to be in. You’ve done your job, and gone above-and-beyond to figure out what the buyer’s problem was after you finished. Honestly, it’s not your job to fix his problem. Maybe you should state this outright.

“I’m sorry you’re having problems with your program. I have finished your order to the original scope. If you are unwilling to change platforms/programs, then I would be willing to do the embedding for you for an additional $15USD.”

(Or, whatever you charge per-minute, for the length of his vid.)

You might also have to quote the Fiverr Terms of Service.

Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the Seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig Page. Buyers may rate their experience with the Seller on the Order Page, including the overall level of service quality received.

Welcome to the Fiverr forums.

What should I do?

This is always a difficult position to be in. You’ve done your job, and gone above-and-beyond to figure out what the buyer’s problem was after you finished. Honestly, it’s not your job to fix his problem. Maybe you should state this outright.

“I’m sorry you’re having problems with your program. I have finished your order to the original scope. If you are unwilling to change platforms/programs, then I would be willing to do the embedding for you for an additional $15USD.”

(Or, whatever you charge per-minute, for the length of his vid.)

You might also have to quote the Fiverr Terms of Service.

Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the Seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig Page. Buyers may rate their experience with the Seller on the Order Page, including the overall level of service quality received.

Thank you so much for your response.

I’ll try to offer the embed service to the client, and hope that will work. I feel better now, knowing he can’t really cancel the order, but still really hope his review wont be negative, fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

Just to warn you, he can fight to have the order cancelled.

Fiverr… has a poor reputation of ignoring that line in the ToS, if the buyer contacts Customer Support first. It’s the Anchoring Cognitive Bias effect.

You might want to submit a ticket to CS yourself.

“I have recently completed and delivered an order to scope. There are some problems on the buyer’s end, and I’ve gone above-and-beyond the scope of the order to help the buyer rectify the issue. The buyer is demanding I cancel. At this time, I am attempting to work things out with the buyer, and wish to inform CS that I do not want this order canceled. I’ve included screenshots of the relevant conversation. Thank you for your time, and the service you continue to provide.”

Archived