Hi! I need help

aaalyssie

I just had my first customer. The job is to upload products on his website. So he sent me his website link, let’s call it The-Products-Website-dot-com. He didn’t give me any instructions on how to use his website so I did it on my own. I discovered how to upload products on this website on my own and later on finish my work. I submitted the order and after days he marked it as complete. Then he messaged me to offer a new Job, this is to redesign a new website for him. He sent me a link of a sample website design he wants, let’s call this His-Blog-dot-com. It was Sunday here in my country and I’m spending time watching Netflix. I answered his message using a mobile phone. I clicked the link and saw nothing but three images. I’m assuming he wants a simple website with no design since his reference doesn’t have a design. A few hours later he is accusing me of destroying his site. He’s a lawyer and he keeps on threatening me with his power. I just clicked the link, I didn’t do anything and I don’t even have a username and password, I don’t know the admin side link, and I’m only using a phone to visit the site. He told me that he uploaded an article before he sent the link. What do you think I should do?

Hello @aaalyssie, I am sorry to hear about your experience with this buyer. There are several things to note in this case:

• People threaten others with the power of law all the time on the Internet; but the truth is, it is very difficult to sue someone who resides in a different country, especially over something baseless such as your case. I would honestly doubt he is a real lawyer if he doesn’t even consider the fact that he has very little evidence and the fee and trouble he has to go through to sue someone overseas.

• It seems like there is no gig yet being ordered, am I correct? In that case, there is literally nothing to fear of. Just block the person and move along.

Hope this helps.

Hello @aaalyssie, I am sorry to hear about your experience with this buyer. There are several things to note in this case:

• People threaten others with the power of law all the time on the Internet; but the truth is, it is very difficult to sue someone who resides in a different country, especially over something baseless such as your case. I would honestly doubt he is a real lawyer if he doesn’t even consider the fact that he has very little evidence and the fee and trouble he has to go through to sue someone overseas.

• It seems like there is no gig yet being ordered, am I correct? In that case, there is literally nothing to fear of. Just block the person and move along.

Hope this helps.

Thank you @ignareint. I just hope he’ll understand that I didn’t do anything.

Thank you @ignareint. I just hope he’ll understand that I didn’t do anything.

If it makes you feel better, Fiverr does have this in their Terms of Service:

Limitation on Liability

IN NO EVENT WILL FIVERR, ITS AFFILIATES OR THEIR LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OFFICERS OR DIRECTORS BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE WEBSITE, ANY WEBSITES LINKED TO IT, ANY CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE.

THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

Full ToS: https://www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service

Archived