Fiverr Forum

How can I choose the best ebook writers?

Hi guys, I am relatively new to Fiverr here. I have been trying to find some of the more genuine eBook writers out here. I had some bad experiences with my first 3 gigs so far…

I admit that I chose my sellers by the avg reviews and ratings. However, I realised most of the reviews are potentially fake. Some of them even have the same ‘buyer’ reviewing them for 3 consecutive gigs.

Secondly, I noticed that my sellers were very friendly to me at first, telling me that they will produce top quality content and urging me to buy their gig. However after I placed my order with them, their tone changed TREMENDOUSLY…giving one word answer and cold attitude towards me. I wonder if any of the buyers here have the same experience as me so far?

And of course the last straw came when they were late in their orders (happened all the time with my ebook sellers) and one of them even marked it as delivered and trying to delay the actual delivery. I cancelled an order today, which ultimately wasted my own time and money…

Sorry for the long rant, but for those seasoned buyers who had successful working opportunities with eBook wrtiers, how do you actually pick them to ensure that they are the genuine ones?

If those reviews are “outstanding experience”, “good experience” (etc) then those are actually reviews that Fiverr automatically adds to the star rating if a buyer or seller doesn’t fill it out with a personalized review. They’re pretty meaningless, but not necessarily indicative of a scam.

I don’t offer eBook writing, but I’m wondering: what is your budget? What’s the subject area? Are we talking those flimsy “report” ebooks that are often used as a bribe to get people to sign up to an e mail list, short (say 10k) books to sell on Amazon in whatever niche you’re targeting or a “proper” eBook (30k and up)? I hardly need point out that there’s a huge difference between the first and the last.

The best thing to do is ALWAYS do a test gig if you have a larger project in mind. That way, you’ll only be out a few bucks if the seller turns out to be a dud, and if you do find someone who nails it (or at least turns out to be competent and reliable, which is more valuable than nailing it in many cases…) then you’ll be able to move forward with confidence. Even then, if it was a larger eBook, I’d be recommending to do it on a chapter-by-chapter basis. You can’t do milestones or extensions here, as this is a “microgig” economy. Given the parlous state of freelance sites in general at the moment, it’s not surprising that many buyers are coming here now, but you do need to be aware of the limitations of the system on top of the natural limitations with sellers.

The shortness could in part could be explained as having “caught” you and turning off sales mode somewhat abruptly. Not great, but look at the numbers in the queue. More people in the queue, less time for personal attention. It becomes a bit more understandable then, if not ideal. But then again, it’s Fiverr… not a bespoke agency where all that niceness and eagerness to deal with everything you want ASAP is built into the bigger price points.

tl;dr test gig

RE: “However, I realised most of the reviews are potentially fake. Some of them even have the same ‘buyer’ reviewing them for 3 consecutive gigs.” Virtually ALL of my reviewers are the same as I ONLY do business with my “regulars” repeat customers. The only way new customers sneak in is when they order without contacting me first.

But for your original question - break your book into sections or chapters and spread them out as individual gigs. I DO NOT write e-books for others (knowingly) but know that I have when my regular customers continue to order 5 similar subject gigs week after week.

Order your chapters from different writers until you find the one that can clearly convey your message.

I dispute the notion that having the same buyer review you for consecutive gigs counts as fake!! Most of my clients are repeat buyers, its hard to get new buyers on fiverr so rather than wasting my time hitting up buyer requests I use that time to nature long lasting relationships with my clients, Even clients who initially come in to make a sinlge purchase end up coming back for more. That is why you will notice the same people constantly reviewing my gigs.

In relation to your eBook, I had a bad experience with a buyer who just wanted me to work my “A” off and completely write their eBook for them based on a very small idea they had without any guideline notes whatsoever. Their budget was even insulting considering the amount of work I had to put in. Since they had already ordered and fiverr punishes us when we cancel, I bit the rock and delivered.

All I’m saying is I hope you are a genuine person who isn’t just looking for excellent service but doesn’t want to match the payment.

cheers.

“break your book into sections or chapters and spread them out as individual gigs”

yep that is what most people do, its the best way to minimize the risk, however spreading the gigs out to different writers might affect the style and flow of the content.

As a regular buyer of many different things here, my method is pretty much the same for all bigger purchases.
I choose between 3 and 5 sellers and order a $5-10 gig from each.
The best gets the bigger job, the others get reviews based on their quality of work/my experience with them - not whether I use it or not. They may all get 5 stars or not, my personal choice of a seller over another does not mean that the one I don’t choose is bad, just not the best.

Spending $15-50 to find a good seller is nothing when you have an order of $200+, especially if you potentially have more work in the pipeline. A reliable and high quality seller is very valuable. You may notice that I use the same sellers repeatedly, I have used some 10-15 times, and I get a great reception and service from them whenever I contact them. This didn’t come about through luck, I spent time and money finding people who do quality work, are trustworthy and who I work well with. There have been many useless sellers discarded after $5-10 trials.

I still monitor the progress and may divide it into smaller pieces depending on the job. For something like an ebook, remember to use the other 4 pieces you receive in some way (if they are decent). This could be by giving them to the main seller as inspiration or by taking points out of them and using them as blog posts/articles etc.
Also, be realistic about budget. Don’t look for the cheapest quote or the quickest time frame. Work with your seller instead of trying to employ them - it gives a much better result.

Finally, when you receive exceptional work or better than expected - TIP THEM!
As a seller there is nothing nicer than getting that notification. As a buyer, it ensures a “welcome back” for next time and is simply the right thing to do. Approx 1 in 5 of the orders I place get tipped, some sellers get tipped almost all the time, other times it depends on budget and work quality.
I suggest a minimum $5 tip or 20% - whichever is greater.