Fiverr Forum

How can I get order please dear bro sir?

Too much is too much. Half the topics on this forum are of people asking this, and then a bunch of other people giving worthless advice like “share your gig on social medias” (sic) and “always send the buyer request”.

Funny enough, I never see posts asking “How can I get better at my craft?”, “How can I identify a profitable low competition niche?”, “How can I do something that people ACTUALLY WANT TO BUY?”. Nothing. Then you wonder why you ain’t getting orders.

30 Likes

I was looking for who asked this question, but didn’t expect to be enlightened. Thank you.

8 Likes

so, what you can do is share your gig on social media, or answer a buyer request.

…oh, wait… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’ve never in my entire life have been greeted with “please dear bro sir” lol
Anyways, my best advice is to keep good reviews and make your customers happy.

12 Likes

That’s different… One thing is introducing yourself in the forums saying where you’re from, etc. That’s not bad in itself. Saying “Hi, I’m from bangladesh” in the forums doesn’t denote a lack of awareness for how things work. Saying “Hello bro dear sir, senior members please help me make sell” shows you don’t know what you’re doing and will never get anywhere.

9 Likes

That was a joke lol.

As to your advice… while true, it doesn’t really help. It’s pretty evident you should try to get good reviews (not like it’s something you can control anyway, depends on the client) and make them happy (again, some people are impossible to please). But that’s not something you can actively do, and it doesn’t help you get orders if you get no contacts (which is the main problem for most people).

My advice in the field of “get good reviews and happy clients” is to try to stop automatic orders, insist on prior contact, and vet buyers carefully. You’ll want to turn down around 50% of buyers on average. They are not worth it. This applies to my field (creative), naturally. If your gig is an automated “pay me $5 and I’ll send you an ebook” or something that does not deliver an original product, tailor made for the client, then it doesn’t really matter who’s buying.

This ties in with a principle of selling services. There are two ways to make real money selling services.

1 - Sell cheap services at a high volume
2 - Sell expensive services at a low volume

They may seem the same from a purely mathematical standpoint (you’ll make the same selling 100 things for $1 or 1 thing for $100), but you have to factor in overhead. Unless you have an automated process (like the pre-made ebook), the 100 things for $1 are a far worse deal for you, because in addition to the work itself you’ll need to deal with 100 times the number of buyers, spend 100 times as much time on communication, deal with 100 times more potential cancelations and bad reviews.

In a platform like fiverr, if you are doing original work for each client, it’s clear that high ticket is the way to go.

7 Likes

you’re right, but there are other factors too. $5 gigs sell much faster than $100 gigs.

few years ago, when this platform started, I felt almost addicted for a while to the $5 gig. “just $5?! wow! buy this, buy that”…

at the end of the day I spent more than $100 on worthless $5 junk. just because it was “only $5 each” :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, but that doesn’t matter. A $5 gig doesn’t need to sell more than a $100 gig to be worth it - it has to sell A LOT more. Like, if it sells 20 times more, it’s not worth it. 40 times more? Maybe. You’ll be making double the money, but you are having WAY MORE than double the work. That’s what you need to keep in mind. How much are you making per hour?

Look, I have been there. Delivering 50 orders in one month, having to work everyday, and then i make $1000. OR, I can make the same in ONE order that takes me a couple days. In the first case, I get 50 orders a month. In the second I get one order a month. I’d rather be in the second situation every single time.

Also, project burnout is a very real thing. I can’t deal with having to work on hundreds of projects every month - it destroys creativity, everything becomes a blur.

6 Likes

all I’m saying is Walmart, just like Fiverr, made a fortune with their selling cheap (aka Made in China) orientation.

I totally get your point (and I agree as well with your perspective), but people have also an addictive tendency to spend huge on …cheap :slight_smile:

Look, I’m a software engineer, and for me fiverr is more like an additional experiment, to see if I can diversify myself, to become more independent… I’d make more money on other freelancing sites, if I was looking for big deals. Or directly, with local clients. To me, fiverr is very interesting for what you could do with volumes of cheap…

2 Likes

But there’s a big difference that people don’t seem to realize. I see people comparing Fiverr to amazon, etc. all the time. It’s not the same.

Wallmart is mass production. It’s the same work for them to make a plastic garden flamingo or 1000. Also, they control the platform, they decide who gets refunds, they decide who gets to “cancel”, etc. Not the same on Fiverr. Wallmart doesn’t create products for each individual client on the spot according to their needs.

It’s like comparing buying a suit at a store vs going to a tailor and getting a suit made from scratch for you. Which will be more expensive? It’s obvious. Not to mention another aspect - who is making the real money on wallmart / amazon / the clothing store? The owners. Not the sellers. I am a seller. That business model is absolute crap for me. That tailor is making way more money than the clothing shop employees.

Going cheap and wide is great if you are at the top and have people working for you for next to nothing. If not, going narrow and expensive is always better.

7 Likes

Never underestimate Walmart:

2 Likes

That’s not tailor made. Those are automated templates. Go to wallmart and ask them to create something just for you from scratch that doesn’t exist and nobody else can buy there. They won’t do it for you.

That’s what I do for every single client.

4 Likes

Did you look at those products?

No they don’t have little old ladies in a back room stitching the pillows of course.

2 Likes

Yes. It’s a bunch of stuff they already have, and then they drop your photo into it. It’s like a t-shirt printing business, for example. I don’t call that tailor made. There’s no creativity on their part for each client. Client sends photo, they place the photo on the product, done. There’s no “instructions”. There’s no problem solving. It can literally be done in a web form - attach your photo, done.

It’s equivalent to me selling a personalised after effects template. That’s not what I do. That’s not what a logo designer (a good one) does. That’s not what a painter does. We create from zero.

4 Likes

You are saying Walmart does not give you a personal employee.

1 Like

No, I’m saying Wallmart does not create original products for each client, which is true.

Let me put it this way. Go to wallmart to buy a table. Tell them “I like this one, but make it with 6 legs instead and in metal instead of wood”. They won’t do it. Either they have what you want already made and in waiting, or they won’t make it from scratch for you.

2 Likes

You would have to go to a custom woodworker shop, or an individual for that. Why are we comparing Walmart to a custom furniture maker?

EXACTLY.

That would be the same as comparing Fiverr to Wallmart or Amazon. That was my point from the beginning.

Naturally, in all likelihood the wallmart table will be cheaper than the woodworker shop one. That’s economics of scale.

2 Likes

Those are retail establishments, not service websites for freelancers. No they don’t compare. But any large site that has customers buying from it can take at least some ideas from Amazon. One of the best things about Amazon is the ease of shopping and reliability of the site.

And that works great for mass produced products. It doesn’t work at all for creative tasks.

It can work for brute force tasks, like transcription, where it does not matter at all who’s doing it. But for artistic / creative purposes it fails completely, because it’s inherently subjective.

4 Likes