Fiverr Forum

How do YOU deal with annoying buyers?

Hello to you citizens of Fiverr!

Once again, I am back with another mind-bending question about the meaning of life. How do prospective sellers deal with such ‘annoying’ buyers? Do you simply go head-to-head until a knockout, or walk away as if nothing has happened?

Share your methods below :smiley:

Cancel… cancel… cancel…

It is the better option. I usually can’t tolerate those cannot try to understand simple facts and think themselves as the right one. So I love to ignore them :wink:

It depends on what way they are annoying.

Also it depends on the amount of the order how much I can stand. Almost always it is a $5 order which is the most problematical.

Absolutely depends on what they are doing to annoy.

In the early stages I cancelled more. Now I tend to cancel far less.

Sometimes cancelling is the best option, sometimes just letting them post a weak review is fine too. It depends how much work has already been done, how much the total order was for, how likely they are to return, how willing are they to pay something for a revision, if it wasn’t my issue.

All based on context and my sense of their future potential as a client.

One of the trickiest things about dealing with clients is the language barrier. We deal with a lot of English as a second language clients. Sometimes their use of language seems rude when it is not intended to be. I learned this after almost cancelling an order - when a client was annoying me - and then he wrote and said - I hope you understand what I am asking - my English is really bad - so sorry. I realized he was trying hard. Other than that - we are in business for ourselves and as such… we’re going to cross all kinds of people! I built my Fiverr business slower than I could have because I turned down clients that seemed like they’d be a problem. Like people who contact me for the first time looking for a “deal” promising more work if I did a really good job. You want a deal? Buy 10 gigs from me first then we’ll talk. So focusing your business on people you want to work with helps. There are some who think - this is a stupid $5 product and treat you as such - we have to make sure we don’t respond saying this is a stupid $5 client. Sometimes it’s best to cancel and walk away. Email can be a hard place to communicate because you loose eye contact and the tone of the person’s voice. I try not to “translate” what they mean - and simply respond assuming they mean the best. If we approach our business with that kind of upbeat attitude - I think it attracts those kinds of clients.

It annoys me that the almost universal answer to the question of difficult/annoying clients is to cancel or walk away from them.
Why is this the advice? Sure, there are times to walk away when a seller is abusive etc but annoying? No.
If you have ever worked in retail then you know that 50-60% of people you deal with are annoying. There are many reasons but the solution in retail is not to just walk away from them. It is also not to adopt a cliche like “The customer is always right”.

On Fiverr, your completion rate matters, your conversion rate matters and your ability to attract and retain repeat buyers matters. If you turn away every annoying client then these factors will count against you and you will soon get to a stage of complaining that you have no orders and that you did nothing wrong. You will also likely have only 5 star reviews so you believe you deserve to have better rankings etc. Here is the thing: Any idiot/incompetent seller can handle the nice buyers, the ones who are patient and understanding - it takes a real freelancer/business owner to be able to make it work with difficult buyers and these are the sellers who will be most successful.

I have had a good number of fussy, rude, awkward, demanding and silly buyers on Fiverr. More often than not, I can turn them into repeat buyers. You will find that a lot of the time, the reason they are how they are is because they have dealt with such incompetence from other sellers and are frustrated by the time they get to you. Show your professionalism and capability and it will be such a relief to them that they will come back to you every time and be purring like a kitten. It’s true, once you convert an unhappy buyer to a happy buyer, they become the best buyers.

Well said.

Buyers are often a lot less tolerant with you if they’ve had frustrating experiences elsewhere, but all it takes is to work with them, gain their trust (not hard with persistence, determination to provide good service, and professional work) and then watch them come back to you.

If anything, buyers who have been frustrated elsewhere are much more likely to be repeat buyers if you impress, as you are the one seller of many they’ve bought from who has shown dedication to their demands.

I think if you’re thinking about this like a business, then you should react the way that a customer service representative should act in a large corporation. For the most part, I will just smile and still thank them for choosing me. If they cross the line, I will refuse their business and/or report them as well.

50% to 60% - wow that is a high number. My number of trouble makers is WAY lower. But I totally agree - with good service people who start like they might be a problem can become GREAT long term clients. Honestly the major majority of clients I have on Fiverr are good. They way out balance the problem people.

Depends on where they buyers are in the process. If it is in the messaging process, I just tell them that I can’t work on their order right now due to me workload. If they get in appropriate, I report/block them.

If it is after order has started, I will be firm but fair on what they need. If we can’t work to an agreement, revise the order or pay for upgrade, I will cancel as a last resort.

Sadly even though buyers are rated, we can’t see buyer ratings. And buyers who get cancelled upon all the time wouldn’t show up in ratings anyways.

I would love to be able to flag a buyer so they can’t order from me in the future.

We, as Fiverr Sellers, have to understand the fact that there are only a few buyers who are difficult to deal with. However, it is our responsibility as sellers to communicate with them in a professional manner.

Most rude buyers are fed-up with the poor services being offered by some sellers here on Fiverr. So, if you provide them with an outstanding service, they will surely become regular clients.

For my entire career here on Fiverr (over 5 years now), I have dealt with many annoying buyers, but I never reported even a single buyer.

Keep in mind that order cancellation ratio also affects your ratings. So, no matter what happens or what it costs, I always strive to make my clients fully satisfied with my work. Don’t consider only about $$$ you earn; focus more on providing a top-notch service.

The most “enjoyable” part is when a buyer places an order of a 5$ gig, but halfway into the project, he/she ask for a 5,000$ worth-gig in a period of 3 hours. These are definitely my favorite ones. :grinning:

@lisabaarns
L’chaim for the cancel button, our holy savior! :pray:

@eoinfinnegan
Thank you for the professional advice. I really enjoyed the ‘be purring like a kitten’ part :ok_hand:

If they’re just confused or need a bit of hand-holding, I don’t mind that. I started out as a buyer on fiverr having covers made for my ebooks. I was pretty annoying and couldn’t figure out how to submit anything under order requirements. I also didn’t attach anything that I mean to…I’m not tech savvy. So now that I’m a seller, I can see it from the other side and I’m pretty patient with people who just don’t get how fiverr works. I don’t tolerate rude or pushy people at all though. Or if someone messages me more than ten times with questions about my gig, I say something like “In light of our conversation so far, I think another seller may be a better fit for you. It just seems like you’re very hesitant about placing an order with me and I think you should work with someone you are comfortable with.”

Just found a instruction video to this very common question:

It depends on the situation. If they threaten you with a bad review, that’s the time to refund the order. If they say they hate your work, ask them why. You can also send a custom offer to make revisions, or use resolution center for the same purpose.

It’s important to humanize yourself in front of your buyer. Say “I did my best” or “I really worked hard on this” or “I don’t usually make revisions, but I’m making an exception for you.”

Suppose they message you before ordering, and they want to purchase your most expensive package which takes the longest, tell them “Since we don’t know each other, I think it would be better if you order my $10 package. I would rather refund $10 than $50.”

Also, be honest with them. If they want to order your trademark package and you only check for trademarks in the USA and they live in Mexico, tell them they’re better off ordering another package.

Another tip is to give referrals. You deliver an order after the buyer asked for a revision, the buyer has questions about your work. Tell him/her that seller x, y, and z also do what you do and they will be happy to help you. Doing this also encourages other sellers to refer you.

That is assuming you will have to give a refund before they order. I have never had to give a refund after a delivery but everyone’s experience here is different. I can’t imagine telling someone who wants the most expensive package not to get it.

The goal is to have a happy client that keeps coming back. Someone who pays $50 and then isn’t happy with what he got, will never order again.

On the other hand, I’ve had clients who paid $10, then order again and tell me “well, I like what you did, but I would like to see more options.” Then if you’re lucky, they’ll buy your other gigs as well.

Remember, it’s all about long-term profits, not short-term gains.