Fiverr Forum

How do you deal with buyers who can't follow simple instructions?

Hi Everyone! I’m fairly new to selling here (today is day ten) and I would like to know how you deal with buyers who can’t follow the instructions in your gigs.

My example: I do a lot of logo reveals and kinetic typography. One of my gigs features a lot of moving text and lots of images. I clearly state in the gig description and the information to buyers that they must supply their own text, pictures and music. So a guy ordered today and seemed quite shocked that he had to supply his own pictures and music - of which he had none, apparently. How it’s possible to watch the demo video and read the description and then seem surprised when I asked him for images amazes me. And I have no idea why you would want an image-heavy animation without images! Anyway, rant over and to my question: How do you deal with these kind of buyers? Perhaps I just have a low tolerance to idiocy!

I’d be interested to hear your views.

All the best,

Paul

reload_design

Hi reload_design - I just reviewed the gig descriptions on your profile, and maybe I’m missing something, but just reading the text, I have the impression that you are going to be creating the logo’s and doing the design of the projects.

"I will design a professional 3D logo animation for your company or cause in one day in FULL HD 1080."

Nowhere could I find that it says that I need to supply any information to have you complete this.

One of the gigs had a part where it read something like “your logo or text here”, but even that seems to be just a place marker and doesn’t say to me that I need to supply the actual text and/or logo.

It’s possible that you may not be clearly representing the product or stating the requirements for the buyers.

Some minor adjustments could spare some headaches for you and your clients, and possible avoid unsatisfied clients and negative feedback.

Just a couple thoughts after checking them out!

Nice gigs, by the way!

Hey Guys! Thanks for the tips. I clearly state exactly what is required in the ‘instructions to buyer’ section but I guess they only see that once they buy? I’ll go back and rewrite my descriptions. Thanks again!

Like the others, I suggest that you really put in caps NOTE: YOU MUST SUPPLY YOUR OWN TEXT, IMAGES, AND MUSIC.

Although you have placed all these precautions, you’ll still probably get those buyers who do not follow instructions! I get it A LOT with my testimonial gig. Gig video, gig description, gig images, AND instructions say 70 words MAX per gig, but some buyers will still send me a script of 100-some words… or worse… no script at all!

What I do at that point is request a mutual cancellation stating something like, "Hi! I’m not wanting to cancel this gig, I just want to get your attention. I’ve noticed that your script is over 70 words… I am being underpaid for this gig etc. etc."

Most buyers are nice and will compensate me extra. Others are a**holes. I don’t give in to more work for little pay, so I make it clear that I will not be doing their gig unless they pay me the required amount :wink:

In all, I recommend just being really nice and sincere and tell buyers to follow instructions… it would be silly to be rude to someone who is offering you smiles and rainbows.

Good advice, thanks! I just find it really hard to comprehend that someone would order a gig based on text (as most of my gigs are) and then not supply any. They want me to read their minds? I guess it’s the nature of the beast: 5 bucks is so cheap that you get a lot of time-wasters. If they were paying over a thousand bucks (which most of my ‘real’ clients do for my work) I’m sure they would be a little more serious about the process.

Reply to @reload_design: It’s the nature of a lot of humans too!

But yeah, if they only see your ‘instructions to buyer’ after ordering, then they won’t know this until then.

I often give the advice of putting important information first. However, I’ve had three buyers recently order without reading the first line, let alone the rest of my description! I often wonder why I should bother reading their instructions when they can’t be bothered to read the first line but it is the nature of business on Fiverr.

When I do work with other clients, I make sure I have all the information before accepting the job and can control the deadlines a bit more if there are large bulk orders. But, like you @reload_design, they are paying a lot more and possibly take it more seriously.

More great advice. I hear you all loud and clear but do I really have to put so much emphasis on the fact that the ‘client’ must send me text for a typography video? If the answer is ‘yes’ then I’ve lost all hope for humanity! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately @reload_design, yes you do. There is a saying, “Common sense isn’t common.” You can’t assume that everyone who comes across your gig will “get it.” In many cases you have to clearly (and repeatedly) spell your instructions out for buyers. The great thing is, you really only have to do this once. If your description is clear enough and you encourage potential buyers to contact you with any questions before they order a gig, you’re less likely to have the issue. However, there will ALWAYS be those who don’t read and then turn around and try to blame you for the negative experience.

I owned my own small business for several years (marketing, web & graphic design), and you wouldn’t believe how many of our past clients admitted to not reading emails or reading the contract they signed fully. Of course this never came into question until there was an issue, but one of the first things I would ask when an issue came up was “Did you actually read the email I sent?” or “Did you read through the entire contract?” In most cases the answer was no. Unfortunately for the clients, that got them in trouble. The difference in that situation was that I had ToS, a contract and threaded emails to back up my position if it ever got to the point of going to court.

Here on Fiverr, there isn’t that much protection for sellers. So if you make sure that you are as thorough as possible from the very beginning and in every piece of info you write up for your gig (title, description, info to buyer on the gig page, any subsequent messages throughout the project etc.), you’ll have a much easier time proving your point and getting proper assistance from Fiverr.

So yes, be overly detailed. Spell things out in the simplest terms you can think of. Repeat what you’ve said. Encourage potential buyers to contact you before they order with any additional questions, then be sure to follow up. Answer any and all messages that come in. Keep in communication with all buyers. That way if something goes south and you receive negative feedback that you feel you don’t deserve, you’ll have enough documentation to prove as much if you feel the need to petition Fiverr to remove the negative feedback.

@istanley - sound advice, thanks. @bachas85 - sure, I take customer service very seriously. I guess I’m not used to dealing with clients who don’t really know what they want. I run a design agency and have never really encountered this.

Reply to @bachas85: Oh sure, dealing with someone who doesn’t share your mother tongue can be tricky.

Reply to @reload_design: I am really, REALLY surprised by that! My sister, fiance and I are all in this industry. My sister has worked for companies like Turner Broadcasting (developing apps and the playoff bracket for the NBA) and Vitrue (who did a huge Facebook app for the World Cup a few years back). She’s also worked for companies with clients as small as micro-businesses and as large as Disney, Nike and Fox Media. In all of those cases (most especially the high-end clients), she came across people who had no idea what they wanted and wasted thousands upon thousands of dollars and lots of time because they didn’t.

My fiance and I have also experienced the same thing with our marketing & design firm. We had to overhaul our contract, refund policy, cancellation policy and ToS because of it. We’d get so many small business clients who wouldn’t know what they wanted but wouldn’t want to take our advice either. We ran that firm for about 4 years and it ended up being a disaster, enough to make us feel that we’d best move on from that kind of business model. I have no problem doing consulting these days, but I am VERY picky about who I choose to develop websites for because of all the negative experiences with indecisive clients.

You’re lucky that you haven’t encountered those types of clients in your design agency. Unfortunately though, I have a feeling you’ll encounter a LOT of them here on Fiverr. The setup just doesn’t allow you to be as thorough as you need to be for design-based services and in some ways it really hurts that you can’t post external links. Being able to forward potential buyers to an FAQ or your own ToS would probably help some.

Reply to @madmoo: Ah ok, good to know. Perhaps that will help with the buyers who aren’t reading the full description and instructions. Perhaps they’ll be more likely to watch a video than read.

Hi, I’m new, but I could bet my house on the fact that buyers don’t always read the instructions.

I’m active on a different site, and I can tell you that the clients there (=buyers here) can’t even read a person’s job application properly. I applied for a job, stated how much I was asking for the job as instructed, and the client writes back asking me how much I want to get paid. Thing is, one can’t apply for a job without saying how much they want to earn for it. My reaction was to withdraw from that job and I’m sure i didn’t miss a thing.

My politics is this: if you can’t bother to read the whole description when you order something, I better not work with you because we will both end up with a headache.

I literally fought with a seller over the same thing. He ordered a writing gig when he already hired someone else. What he wanted was a brainstorming gig but don’t have the article yet. I said to the guy politely. “Did you even read my gigs”. He was dumfounded. He canceled because the other seller wasn’t ready and he don’t wanna wait.

When not much info I just do what I think is best and when delivering tell the buyer that if he needs something changed it will be changed. But in rare cases buyers are “insane” or want something worth $1000 for $5 and in that case I just ask them to cancel and get their money back. Don’t want to argue with people and waste time if they are not reasonable.