How do you deal with clients who keep changing their mind all the time?

I’m just wondering how do you deal with clients who give you contradictory instructions during the order, giving an excuse that there was a misunderstanding and what they said had a different meaning for them, or when they clearly show that they have no idea about what they want, as they keep changing their mind all the time (and, sometimes, trying to make the freelance feel bad, like if was his/her fault).

I’m looking for tips to improve the way I deal with this type of situations.

And I also take this chance to ask if you noticed even more clients trying to scam you during the pandemic situation.

Thanks.

I try to include all the previous “bad” experiences I had upfront on my quotes trying to avoid the same problems in the future. For example: one revision will be allowed as long as it is reasonable and according to the initial briefing. For extra revisions, a charge will be applied."

Also, I feel the same about the scams and to be honest, I have turned down a few tasks because I was getting a bad feeling.

I wish you good luck!

I try to include all the previous “bad” experiences I had upfront on my quotes trying to avoid the same problems in the future. For example: one revision will be allowed as long as it is reasonable and according to the initial briefing. For extra revisions, a charge will be applied."

Also, I feel the same about the scams and to be honest, I have turned down a few tasks because I was getting a bad feeling.

I wish you good luck!

I try to include all the previous “bad” experiences I had upfront on my quotes trying to avoid the same problems in the future.

I do the same here, but sometimes you notice that the client (maybe) is reselling your services only after the order is placed, for example, and that’s when the problems start to happen, and some people try their best to get free stuff. I guess we need to have even more careful when setting all the details with the client.

I totally understand. The number of scams are increasing around here too.

Wish you all the best and many many sales.

I try to include all the previous “bad” experiences I had upfront on my quotes trying to avoid the same problems in the future.

I do the same here, but sometimes you notice that the client (maybe) is reselling your services only after the order is placed, for example, and that’s when the problems start to happen, and some people try their best to get free stuff. I guess we need to have even more careful when setting all the details with the client.

I totally understand. The number of scams are increasing around here too.

Wish you all the best and many many sales.

I agree. I feel that sometimes people come to Fiveer to outsource and they feel that freelance is not a “serious” job. I love freelancing and the lifestyle and I wish people would respect freelancers and their time. We are not here just desperate for sales. It is our job. Good luck to you too!

I’m just wondering how do you deal with clients who give you contradictory instructions during the order, giving an excuse that there was a misunderstanding and what they said had a different meaning for them, or when they clearly show that they have no idea about what they want, as they keep changing their mind all the time (and, sometimes, trying to make the freelance feel bad, like if was his/her fault).

I’m looking for tips to improve the way I deal with this type of situations.

And I also take this chance to ask if you noticed even more clients trying to scam you during the pandemic situation.

Thanks.

how do you deal with clients who give you contradictory instructions during the order,

It is not recommended what I am doing, but unless the buyer buys directly from me on the GIG page, I make sure all details are cleared before order.

And then I send an offer to him/her with every single tiny detail.

For example:

Hello,

as per our conversation, this offer includes voice-over with my voice under style as per sample demo #3 you have selected with a duration of spoken timing necessary to deliver 300 words that will be provided by you in order requirements and pre proofread for grammar errors. Copyrights and broadcast rights are included in the price.

The first draft of the Audio file will be delivered in the order page with an audio watermark so you can give feedback or request revisions.

After you accept the audio file will be delivered without an audio watermark in mp4, avi or any other audio file format requested.

Any revisions after delivery are charged extra.

Proofreading of the script is charged extra and it is not included.

Thank you.

Plus a lot more things you can think of.

The same goes for mandatory requirements in case they make an order without contacting you.

In the gig requirements a second box after the main instructions, I say something in the lines about “I understand and have read the gig description, etc… The instructions I made above will be the basis of what the seller will do blah.”

And in the response its either “I understand.” “No, I don’t. Please clarify.”

In the gig requirements a second box after the main instructions, I say something in the lines about “I understand and have read the gig description, etc… The instructions I made above will be the basis of what the seller will do blah.”

I would not add these as options because you gain nothing with him clicking the NO, he can not stop the order or do anything at that point.

So all negative replies as options should be avoided in mandatory requirements.

"Here you can type any additional notes or comments you think will help me complete your order more effectively.

Please remember that any changes you ask for or need that differ from your statement/info above after this final step of your order placement could be CHARGED EXTRA.

If you are not sure you will like my work, ask for a sample.

Thank you and stay safe!"

how do you deal with clients who give you contradictory instructions during the order,

It is not recommended what I am doing, but unless the buyer buys directly from me on the GIG page, I make sure all details are cleared before order.

And then I send an offer to him/her with every single tiny detail.

For example:

Hello,

as per our conversation, this offer includes voice-over with my voice under style as per sample demo #3 you have selected with a duration of spoken timing necessary to deliver 300 words that will be provided by you in order requirements and pre proofread for grammar errors. Copyrights and broadcast rights are included in the price.

The first draft of the Audio file will be delivered in the order page with an audio watermark so you can give feedback or request revisions.

After you accept the audio file will be delivered without an audio watermark in mp4, avi or any other audio file format requested.

Any revisions after delivery are charged extra.

Proofreading of the script is charged extra and it is not included.

Thank you.

Plus a lot more things you can think of.

The same goes for mandatory requirements in case they make an order without contacting you.

Why it’s not recommended? It seems a really good strategy to me. That way you can discuss the project properly and make all the questions and eveluate if the client is available to give you all the information that you need.

I say something in the lines about “I understand and have read the gig description, etc… The instructions I made above will be the basis of what the seller will do blah.”

Thank you for sharing this. I made a requirement when the client has to check if he understands or not as well, but regarding the payment for additional fees and additional services. Thanks a lot. I guess I will check my requirements again and make some adjustments. Thank you.

Thanks a very nice point of view. :thinking:

I would not add these as options because you gain nothing with him clicking the NO, he can not stop the order or do anything at that point.

"Here you can type any additional notes or comments you think will help me complete your order more effectively.

Please remember that any changes you ask for or need that differ from your statement/info above after this final step of your order placement could be CHARGED EXTRA.

If you are not sure you will like my work, ask for a sample.

Thank you and stay safe!"

You know, that actually is a good point. So far though I haven’t had any issues with this initial arrangement. Haha, well to be fair - no one has ever replied no too. Nor had I any weird buyers who order out of the blue with unclear instructions. But something I would consider, thanks!

Why it’s not recommended? It seems a really good strategy to me. That way you can discuss the project properly and make all the questions and eveluate if the client is available to give you all the information that you need.

I say something in the lines about “I understand and have read the gig description, etc… The instructions I made above will be the basis of what the seller will do blah.”

Thank you for sharing this. I made a requirement when the client has to check if he understands or not as well, but regarding the payment for additional fees and additional services. Thanks a lot. I guess I will check my requirements again and make some adjustments. Thank you.

Thanks a very nice point of view. :thinking:

Why it’s not recommended?

What I do is basically complete 50 to 90% of the order even before the order has been placed. For example just yesterday I had inbox chat with potential client. I did the work, showed her the final file in inbox, sent her offer, she paid, got delivered, all finished under 24 hours.

But (BUT) she could technically say she doesn’t need it anymore and bygones be bygones.

To me that is acceptable risk since order cancelations brings more problems then lost of time doing the work before getting paid. I completed 134 orders and only 3 times I did the work and did not get paid so to me that is acceptable loss. Plus in all 3 times I gain knowledge on how to to things more effectively so in my book they are not loss. For example, one conversation got me to Adobe AE free plugin that I used to make 4 sales.

So on one end I lost time, but I gain skill to complete 4 new orders I would otherwise skipped due to not knowing that plugin exists for free.

But my style of conversation is direct and to the point and I ask probing questions in first 10 minutes so anyone who is not actually ready to make order usually stops replying early.

Why it’s not recommended?

What I do is basically complete 50 to 90% of the order even before the order has been placed. For example just yesterday I had inbox chat with potential client. I did the work, showed her the final file in inbox, sent her offer, she paid, got delivered, all finished under 24 hours.

But (BUT) she could technically say she doesn’t need it anymore and bygones be bygones.

To me that is acceptable risk since order cancelations brings more problems then lost of time doing the work before getting paid. I completed 134 orders and only 3 times I did the work and did not get paid so to me that is acceptable loss. Plus in all 3 times I gain knowledge on how to to things more effectively so in my book they are not loss. For example, one conversation got me to Adobe AE free plugin that I used to make 4 sales.

So on one end I lost time, but I gain skill to complete 4 new orders I would otherwise skipped due to not knowing that plugin exists for free.

But my style of conversation is direct and to the point and I ask probing questions in first 10 minutes so anyone who is not actually ready to make order usually stops replying early.

Oh, now I understood. Yes, it’s a risk, but, from what you are telling me, that gives you the confirmation that you have very good communication skills, and that’s great. I’m happy that that’s working with you. In my area of expertise I would not risk that, but when a client send me a message prior to the order I try to discuss the project the best way I can to avoid any unpleasant situations. But, sometimes, you can’t avoid them. It happens.

Yes, I try to do that too, but my experience is different. With me they usually don’t stop replying, but they ignore the questions that they don’t want to answer or when they don’t know yet. In that case, I invite them to reply and continue to discuss the project with me when they have all the details ready.

Just don’t take them on. I’ve been able to weed out buyers like this by the initial messages. I’ve had too many issues with clients like this. They’re basically saying, “I’ll know it when I see it.” And that leads to an endless list of possible conclusions that YOU’LL have to sift through despite your limited time and fixed rate. So just don’t even take on these clients at all. A buyer should know what they want and be able to communicate that. If they can’t do that, then adios.

Just don’t take them on. I’ve been able to weed out buyers like this by the initial messages. I’ve had too many issues with clients like this. They’re basically saying, “I’ll know it when I see it.” And that leads to an endless list of possible conclusions that YOU’LL have to sift through despite your limited time and fixed rate. So just don’t even take on these clients at all. A buyer should know what they want and be able to communicate that. If they can’t do that, then adios.

So just don’t even take on these clients at all. A buyer should know what they want and be able to communicate that. If they can’t do that, then adios.

I totally agree with you and, I try to figure it out when they contact me first. The problem is when they seem to know what they want and, after placing the order, the attitude changes. Or when they simply place the order directly without sending a message. Those ones you cannot avoid.

Archived