Fiverr Community Forum

How do YOU deal with this situation

We’ve all seen buyer requests that are a bit hazy in details. I often see some that I can do, and do well, but there are not enough details to submit an offer with a definite price.

Let me give you an example: There are often requests to review a book manuscript.

Since I know a lot about commercial novels (plot structure, scene structure, use of descriptive words, spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc), I immediately wonder what kind of help is needed. And further more, how many words the manuscript contains.

At this point I don’t have enough information to even guesstimate a price and delivery time, so I will sometimes mention that I have further questions and I am not able to quote a definite price. So I will put 1 day as a delivery date, and $5 as a price.

Big mistake! The example above is extreme, but I submitted an offer similar to this a few days ago, and it’s just been accepted. In my case it’s a bit under priced, and the deadline is a bit tight! Obviously I will go through with the order at my own expense because I gave my word. But my question is, how do YOU deal with this when Fiverr makes the price and delivery date a mandatory field in an offer, even if you don’t have enough information from the buyer request to quote properly?

Going back to the example above, if I over-quote for a simple job, the buyer will just skip right over my offer. If I under quote for a complex job and the offer is accepted, I’m at a loss? What to do? Convince them that they need to purchase a gig extra?

1 Like

Brother this also happened to me . But now I ignore that buyer request because he or she is not displaying the full info it can be a reason that they want someone to do te job in low price so if you ignore the request some one else will get in the trap . You won’t so I guess there is nothing we can do at this time I hope fiverr will come up with a solution soon :slight_smile: as its the best online market place in the world. Really enjoying working here with its great community. I hope my anwer will help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It must be a newbie - never ordered before - do not know how the pricing is structured - Indie writer or a blogger!

When I did B. R. for an editor/beta reader, voiceover, etc. I put in the exact word count.

If I were a seller, I would skip over those - there are way too many unknown variables. You do not want to do proofing on a 5000 word article or eBook for $5.

If your request is as good as your gig page (And your gigs are really well done), people are going to accept your order. My two pennies!

6 Likes

Thanks for that. I’m getting a lot of orders from Buyers Requests, so I don’t really want to skip something when I know I can help. But I really do need to find some sort of solution or mid-way pricing to combat this loophole. Maybe I should slightly overquote as best as I can, but specify a cheaper price in the offer description if their work meets [certain criteria]

1 Like

I haven’t done buyer requests for a while but I used to put $5 and 2 days (basically my minimum order/deliver time), but make it clear in the message what questions I had & that the price might change depending on the answers. I also mentioned that if they ordered without first contacting I reserved the right to cancel the gig. (adding extra time/in-order extras wasn’t an option then).

As long as you mention in your gig that quote and delivery time are provisional then you should ask for more time/money in the order if you need more time/money. You might have to cancel but so what?

1 Like

All cancellations affect your ratings. Unless a Seller has a quite healthy number of orders, that;s not a good idea.

I am a Seller, and I skip those. Of course, that results in no sales…

The other issue is that it’s not just time/money. Sometimes the Buyer wants something that the Seller can’t or won’t do, which is a bad situation, since the Seller has already, in effect, offered to do something. There’s not enough room to make a list of everything that you won’t do in an offer.

1 Like

I will NEVER submit an offer until I get all the details locked down. Let’s say someone wants to get something custom from me. I will let them know that it starts at $20, depending on complexity. Once I get more info, I will give them a better quote and a time, let’s say $50 and 7 days. Then if they are good with that, I will make sure I have all the details, make sure the delivery time is OK, and submit a final offer.

1 Like

As a new Seller, I try to take advantage of every opportunity I get, so when I see BRs like that, I type something like, “Because there isn’t enough information in your request, I’m bidding my maximum of $15 and 3 days - which is good for 13 minutes or 650 words - and we can go from there (up or down), depending on the details. Please message me so we can work out an arrangement that’s agreeable to both of us.” That way, I’ve put in SOMEthing and they know both what that particular bid covers & that I’m willing to adjust my bid, if need be.

This is irrelevant.

What we do know about cancellation is that the completion rate is private, and that some types of cancellations have a greater impact than others. That shouldn’t stop you cancelling if cancelling is the best option.

You’re right @capitalquality , but you also should not intentionally put yourself into a situation that has a high risk of cancellation if you can avoid it, IMHO.

BRs that clearly require custom work AND are interesting, I respond to with a message that shows that I’ve spent some minutes thinking about it. And then a fantasy qoute of $1234 “let’s chat”!

Because, this:

Yep.

Most buyers are quite respectful of our gig pricing etc. Very few (but some do) put very few details in their description hoping to “trick” someone. In those cases I either put in my bid - final price based on total word count (as I am a voice over artist) - or once they order I send them an order update explaining they have under purchased. No one has ever complained (yet) that I bid wrong… because how can you bid wrong on information you didn’t have? Ultimately if you simply can’t find a solution with the buyer you do always have the option to cancel the order. This often gets a buyer to wake up or if they are just looking for the sneakiest deal in town… allows that person to move on and get their money back.

1 Like

You take life into your own hands.
Cancel the order , move on. - Deal with the bad rating or not.
Worst thing to do is fight yourself over this because it will happen over and over and over and over and over and over …In several different ways…

Believe me , there is absolutely 0 way to maintain a perfect rating here.
I no longer see any good reason to try so hard for it.

There are too many holes on the platform for the buyer or seller to make those kinds of errors. and CS support is less than helpful most of the time (in my experiences).

Hope I saved you stress.
This place can be a grab bag of disasters the longer you stay and the more you focus on it. It just seems to get worse. The moment I stopped caring about my rating being perfect , my sales dropped significantly … the thing is … its just not worth the stress. This place sucks in so many ways now. I just come here to make sure people know whats up without kidding fiverr’s butt. . this place isnt for perfectionists and people doing real business.

Your only option is to ask to cancel the order ( and take a bad rating to your gig )
Or complete it and undervalue yourself … Whats worse?

OR You can contact support rodeo , I mean customer support and hope they have the skills to understand the problem much , then you have to pray they care , then hope they can fix it without telling you to “work it out with your buyer” — Sounds like a lovely game to play. Dont mind me , I’m just talking from experience.

1 Like

My experience with vague requests is simply more vague responses.

I put in a quote for a request stating “I need an eBook design”. After explaining that I would do a front cover design for xxx$$$. They accepted the quote, but were still very vague in answering direct questions that I asked them.

This resulted in long text messaging, which either wasn’t understood by the buyer or they just thought I could read their mind.

Fortunately, for me, this ended up with additional services and a positive review, but the overall experience was very difficult.

After a few of these kinds of experiences, I gave up on quoting custom offers for these types of requests.

Save yourself the time and hassle by quoting on custom offers that make sense and you’ll be much happier in the long run.

1 Like