How do you delete a message that was previously sent?

I recently signed up specifically because I was referred to a Fiverr Seller by a friend who can vouch for this person’s work. I sent a message to the Seller that mentioned my friends name, and apparently there’s some social or cultural problem with that, so I tried to delete the message by clicking the trash can icon in the top right of the screen.

I messaged again a couple days later, omitting my friend’s name.

BUT the old message is prepended to the new message! The old message was completely gone, but now it appears out of no where.

Why did Fiverr pretend the previous message was deleted, but now it prepends the previous message, which was gone from the screen, to the new message? It’s bizarre behavior from the site.

There’s no point in putting a trashcan icon if you can’t actually delete the conversation.

• Like 15

You can only delete the message for yourself, not for the receiver. If you contact that person again, you will see your message because he can see it.

It is not possible to delete or modify messages in the inbox after sending it.

That is why most of us set Enter to go into another line, not press the Enter to send so we can check again before sending.

• Like 14

You can only delete the message for yourself, not for the receiver. If you contact that person again, you will see your message because he can see it.

It is not possible to delete or modify messages in the inbox after sending it.

That is why most of us set Enter to go into another line, not press the Enter to send so we can check again before sending.

Thanks. Is there somewhere that I can make the complaint or suggestion to Fiverr? There really shouldn’t be a trashcan if it doesn’t actually do anything. I’m totally new to the service and the forum.

• Like 9

No.
This is a business site, not social media chat room. Communication must be transparent and logged.
You have option to delete conversation with seller and never talk to him again if you do not want to see your messages.

If you want to talk, all your messages are preserved in the system permanently for legal matters.

It is in the TOS.

• Like 11

Thanks. Is there somewhere that I can make the complaint or suggestion to Fiverr? There really shouldn’t be a trashcan if it doesn’t actually do anything. I’m totally new to the service and the forum.

No.

This is a business site, not Viber or Whatsapp. Communication must be transparent and logged.

You have option to delete conversation with seller and never talk to him again if you do not want to see your messages.

If you want to talk, all your messages are preserved in the system permanently for legal matters.

It is in the TOS.

• Like 9

You can’t delete messages for security reasons. Fiverr is a serious site and not only Buyers, but Sellers too, (if delete to everyone existed), could easily remove evidence of bad things they wrote. So make sure and double-check before sending a message.

• Like 9

Thanks again. I heart all your responses. Not being able to delete messages makes sense. Having a trash can icon or a message mysteriously reappearing makes less sense but thanks to marinapomorac I understand the intention.

I had sellers come to me and beg me to hire them. I did not report them since I was not aware that is what you suppose to do so I just deleted that conversations so they do not appear in my inbox. That is the purpose of deleting button. So I do not see senders message or his icon on my scrolling.

• Like 9

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2020 at 4:38 PM, marinapomorac said:

No.

This is a business site, not Viber or Whatsapp. Communication must be transparent and logged.

It is in the TOS.

This is not a good business practice! sometimes we have a question to a seller a job we need to be done for an invention we created and we need to send images or samples, we don't want these to be in the chat for protecting the idea! I don't mind that the chat will be preserved in the system but not in the inbox of the seller

Edited by trendytrendee
  • Like 9

• 10 months later...

Hi,

What happens when you have sent private and confidential information for a project and the receiver does not end up working on the project?So many people on fiverr are bait and switchers. They show gig prices and then charge 5x10 times or more for the work, when you question that they block you. This is such bad business. So now this untrustworthy person has my private and confidential material and I can't do anything about it? Come on fiverr!

Edited by jlp_38
  • Like 8

35 minutes ago, jlp_38 said:

have sent private and confidential information

I don't know what kind of gigs you buy, but in my gigs, if anyone have to send me some confidential or private info I always recommend it to post it on the orders requirements, that way you are sending them to the person that's going to work on it.

If you need to send that info so the buyer can know if the work can be done, I suggest that you post them in a cloud service with password access and no option to download, they will always can make screenshots but you can remove access to it by changing the password or managing users.

• Like 7
  • Up 1

2 hours ago, jlp_38 said:

allow the sender of a message to delete it or delete attachments 

I get you from the buyers side, but I can't count how many times a buyer has sent me the references through chat and then in the order's requirement they say "as talked in chat" and don't attach the references.

So if I deliver the order and the buyer says thats not what he/she ordered and also deletes the attachments from the chat I can't prove that such references existed. And I'm not willing to screenshot every conversation.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...