Fiverr Community Forum

How do you handle a very difficult buyer

A Buyer asked me to revise and integrate a paper. I thought I had everything, but when I started rewriting the paper I noticed that there were data and info missing. I kept asking for the missing data and I kept receiving different things, to cut a long story short the final bit arrived this morning six hours before the delivery date. Then a ‘revision game’ started where I kept getting vague feedback, for instance ‘there are problems with the fonts’, then two revisions later ‘there are footnotes with the wrong fonts’ (OK I should have noticed them but it would have saved time if she had told me), or ‘there are issues with section X’ what issues? Then after several informal drafts and five revisions she tells me that she wants me to cancel the cover she designed. I am getting mega stressed, I do not want to cancel the order or the order to be canceled. I’d rather not that affect my negative rating and lose the money. Everything is recorded in the chat. In these cases, is there any help from customer services or are we at the mercy of the buyer?

17 Likes

This is why I don’t recommend offering too many revisions

4 Likes

not sure how that could help… a buyer can ‘request revisions’ even if you don’t offer any revisions , the only thing you can do in this case is to explain that there are no revisions or a certain number of revisions however that won’t stop the buyer to actually request a revision if he wants… even if it’s not offered in the package that he bought… There’s not much you can do with an abusive buyer … of course you can say no … I don’t want to cancel , I don’t want to give you free revisions but they it’s most likely that you’ll get a very bad review,at the end of the day it’s up to the seller if he wants to continue working with the buyer even if it’s probably wrong … or if he can afford a 1 star review

Perhaps contacting support and asking them to cancel the order without affecting your stats might work … that’s if you want to cancel the order ( above you said that you don’t want to cancel ) , however if you do cancel it you will probably avoid other unpleasant surprises … it’s simply up to you .

5 Likes

So basically there is nothing I can do except grin and bear it and take the abuse. I have a five star record and I’d rather not blemish it. That buyer will make me reject any revision work in the future.

1 Like

I have delivered, I think she is trying to get a refund after I delivered. She is now saying that there are grammar mistakes when there is none (I checked).

2 Likes

I understand … I also ran into abusive buyers in the past and the chances are that I will have to deal with them in the future as well… They will always find a reason to get a refund if that’s their idea from the start… also support can’t force a buyer to accept an order

2 Likes

Redeliver the order as-is and tell them something like:

Thank you for your continued interest in my service. I have, however, completed your order according to the scope and specifications. I have also provided X free revisions thus far, even though the order only offered X. If you would like me to continue working on this, it will cost $X for each additional revision.

4 Likes

that will just annoy the buyer … since he already asked for a refund according to OP

4 Likes

Sounds like she just tries to get the work for free. Some people do know how afraid many sellers are of a bad rating, so they simply use this fear and pressure to cancel an order giving some pointless reason. The same money/refund will be used to do this to the next seller too, until someone finally breaks the chain and she doesn’t get away with it.

It’s up to you. Could understand if you don’t want to damage your stats with a 1* review which is likely to happen if you stand your ground. But if you have done the work as stated in your gig, you deserve to be paid for it. It’s your business.

Happens to the best.

2 Likes

Also, if you get a 1 :star: review you can defend it by stating what happened. I think sometimes that lets scammers know you will not be an easy target.

2 Likes

I just dio not want to be penalised for cancelling an order or for one star freview.

1 Like

If she does not want to get the work for free, it looks as if she can only think of one thing at a time. We are at review number seven and I have been asked to move charts into the Appendices from where I placed them. The charts had been placed there since the first delivery. As somebody else wrote, I appreciate that customer services cannot force a buyer to accept an order but this is becomin unacceptable. In this case if the seller stands his round he should not be penalised for a late delivery, a one star review or something similar. I hope she ultimately gets fed up (I can be very stubborn) but if I am asked for a review I will write “Keep away”

2 Likes

There is probably no win here as the buyer will do what they intend and unless CS support you, they will win one way or another. So either placate them with a fix (which I don’t think they want) or decide which hit you prefer.

If it is the 1 star then you can indeed respond which a) tells other scammers that you are not a soft touch and b) tells potential buyers that you have honor. Plus you get paid (unless they chargeback - but that gets them banned).

Either way, get it out of your life.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

By the way, thank you to every fellow Fiverr seller who took the time to read my original post and wrote something. I know I have been venting, but you helped. You also made me determined not to give up. I am going to ask customer service not to penalise me for a late delivery if necessary. I am not letting her get away with getting a refund

5 Likes

As long as you’ve already delivered the order once (through the order delivery system) you’ll not actually be penalized for a ‘late’ order. Revisions don’t count.

1 Like

Hi Silvano,

One thing that can help is to say to the buyer, that if this job is cancelled and refunded, she has no right to use any of this work and that therefore, she has no ownership of the work and that Fiverr does pursue buyers who use work for which they are refunded–irrespective of whether you cancel it or she does.

Many buyers do not realise there can be legal repercussions (brought by Fiverr) if they are somehow discovered to have used the work for which they received a refund. Of course, given the nature of your work, it would be difficult to know if she uses the work but a rogue buyer can take this as enough to worry them in case they are removed from Fiverr. This can mean they decide not to cancel and prefer to work with you more reasonably.

I had a client very much like the one you describe, on a project for $4000. The situation continued for nine whole months! It was only resolved by me writing a detailed report to Fiverr customer support in which I detailed every issue, a chronology and screenshots (since they will not look back through your project and deliverables).

Fiverr CS was continually just saying ‘try to work with the buyer’ (useless!) but they also said, I should continue doing revisions and Fiverr would pay me for them. (They did so). In the end, I was paid in full by the buyer and paid for the extra work by Fiverr, and the client got what he wanted (way over and above what he had paid for–but at least I was remunerated in full).

So, in this case, the solution was to continue working with the buyer but at the same time, give great detail to Customer Support AND stress to the buyer that in the event of cancellation and refund they had no ownership of any of my work. I also made clear to the buyer that in the case of revision requests, they should send them all in one hit–not one after another for another nine months, ha. This then enabled customer support to see that the humongous list of revision requests actually was for work never included in the job spec–and I was finally encouraged to walk away (paid)!

Oh, and imagination7413 is correct. Although your Dashboard may show order LATE in huge letters and with glaring colours–it is not late, and won’t be treated as late by Fiverr if you sent in a final delivery within the timeline allowed. Any revisions can continue for weeks and months and despite the ‘LATE’ note on the Dashboard, it’s been delivered on time. Of course, if all the buyer’s messing about did make the delivery late or if a final delivery was never made to the buyer (I am unsure of that, but will re-read what you said), then yes, it’s late.

Best,

Annie

3 Likes

To avoid this I always say to my clients to prepare me a full list of adjustments they would require. It’s important because in the past I had buyers writing me literally 20 times a day (during night and day). The adjustments were really small and insignificant but the problem is when they split a revision into 50 different messages in different moments. So whenever a buyer starts writing me too frequently about adjustments, I say that I’ll start revising it as soon as they send me a complete document with all of the updated work required.

4 Likes

An update, I made the mistake of accepting to help a student. Now she has asked to cancel the order, there is no way that I can stop her from using my work. I am tempted to decline the cancellation but, on the other hand, I want to keep going with the other work I have and stop wasting my time. My only concerned is that my unblemished five-star record is gone and I have wasted the best part of a week. I need to concentrate on other clients but I am not doing anything for the moment, let her stew for her refund! (I know it is a woman, she was complaining about stress and waiting to give birth)

Aaah the old emotive you can’t come back on this approach. I bet there is no baby. The number of times I sold cars to happy people who suddenly had major family traumas or even had God tell them it was the wrong car - yet the very same vehicle they got through a competitor late in the same day they signed a contract with me was the right car and by same car I mean exactly the same car taken from us and put on a truck.

Don’t get tin the emotional sandpit they lay out for you.

As for students, if this was a student getting their homework done for them that is a TOS violation. If you know what school, wait until they have submitted, then email the doc file and conversation to the school so they can burn the student for cheating. Ha!

:wink:

3 Likes

Just in case you helped that student with their assignments for school/uni knowingly, you might have a bigger problem than keeping your five-star record unblemished (not as important as you might think, by the way; there are even not so few buyers who actually seem convinced that someone who has only 5* must be some kind of a scammer, buying reviews, whatever, as we can read on the forum sometimes; plus the kind of sensible buyers you’d usually want probably are aware that it’s almost impossible to please everyone 100%, 100% of the time, that there are difficult customers, customers who never give 5* “because there is no perfection in this world”, etc.) if support gets involved. Helping people with academic work is only allowed in very specific cases (do a forum search on “academic work” if you need more info on that).

2 Likes