How do you keep the focus on your work?

writer99025

I get distracted by politics in India, the day to day movement of the stock market, the latest outrage on Twitter and basically get disturbed when anyone anywhere says anything negative about India or PM Modi. And I worry endlessly about the future of India. This is affecting my productivity and taking my focus off work. Well, this has been the case for 3 years, so guess I would write many more articles, would have had a much shorter delivery time and made more money if not for this. So what distracts you and how do you get over it?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

On top of that, I find that exercise (running, especially) greatly increases my ability to focus.

Yeah, I want to do that too…[The problem with website blockers is that they are not permanent, I block and unblock Twitter 10 times a day…]

You distract me by always talking about Indian politics, nationalism, and your fabulous life of Indian prvilege. I should be working right now but here you are at it again, taunting me with the carrot of procrastination.

You fiend! You knowest what thou do!

Oh, I lose focus ALL the time. Every 10 minutes in fact, hahaha.
If it’s a translation gig, I tell myself “OK, I’m gonna really concentrate and work on one paragraph.
After that I’ll watch one youtube clip to entertain myself and take a short break. Then move onto the next paragraph” …and repeat that cycle.
If I’m lucky or I get “into the groove” should I say, I can go on non-stop and finish the file very quickly.

Strange thing is for my illustration gig, I can go on forever as long as I have some sound in the
background. I usually play random youtube clips. 🙂

In my case, it’s really difficult to be focused because of a hard job that I’m working next to fiverr.
every time I get home really tired, I feel like someone’s pushing me to start working on my orders.
one thing that makes me focused is that I’m always trying to deliver my works as fast as I can(as soon as I come home). who knows how busy my next day will be.

but in the other hand a whole situation gives me a motivation to work on new stuff every time I get free days 😃

I can think of 2 possible solutions, either get involved in politics or stop following the news.
Personally i stopped reading news papers years ago and haven’t owned a tv since 2009, still these days its almost impossible to avoid the news and politics completely. Despite all that i mostly just worry about things like family health issues, keeping food on the table and some sort of roof above my head in the winter.

I can think of 2 possible solutions, either get involved in politics or stop following the news.

Personally i stopped reading news papers years ago and haven’t owned a tv since 2009, still these days its almost impossible to avoid the news and politics completely. Despite all that i mostly just worry about things like family health issues, keeping food on the table and some sort of roof above my head in the winter.

Completely agree with you.

Archived