One of the big advantages of being a freelancer is the ability to work from home or remotely. I thought it might be interesting to share what each of us has done to make working more enjoyable and productive. Here’s mine:
- I get away from the screen for at least an hour a day during the working day, normally when I take the dogs out for a walk.
- I take regular “puppy breaks” - I prescribe myself three a day when I spend 10 - 15 minutes just playing with the dogs - really helps to keep the stress levels down!
- Myself and my wife work on separate floors in the house (we’re both freelancers), which is good for marital harmony!
- I put music on in the background when I work (normally modern classical or film scores without lyrics) as that helps me focus.
- I invested in a mechanical keyboard, which has made a huge difference to typing and ensures I am more accurate.
- I tidy my office and desk and clear my inbox down to zero every morning, which removes a lot of distraction.
- I clean my office from top to bottom, once a week.
- I use a website blocker when I am working, so I am not tempted to visit Facebook or reddit!
- I purchased a large monitor purely to make freelance work easier - I don’t like working on small screens.
Over to you, what do you do to improve your working environment?