How do you sit when you're working?

graphtersawyer

Okay. I’m a writer. When I’m working on orders, I’m often in my bed or at my desk hunched over my laptop. I’m a sloucher. But I’d rather not do that since I feel like it hurts my back. I stop myself whenever I think about it. How do y’all sit when you’re working? Any suggestions for a better work environment or posture correction?

Yoga did wonders for my posture. It strengthens the back muscles and you can hold your back straight(er) for longer periods of time. It comes naturally but unfortunately, goes away pretty soon after you stop practicing. Also, my sister has a stand for her laptop so the screen is higher and it’s easier on the neck and the upper back. I haven’t tried it, though.

I have pretty weak back muscles so my natural position would be to nearly bend the spine in half. And surprisingly, I only started having chronic pain issues related to that after 30. Before that, I was completely comfortable sitting like that for hours.

I’m quite productive and physically comfortable where I’m at. I feel fine. I just don’t want to slouch. :woman_shrugging:

That’s the thing. You can be comfortable and ergonomically incorrect. Comfortable doesn’t mean safe and slouching isn’t the main thing you need to worry about. It’s carpal tunnel, tendinitis and other repetitive strain injuries. Avoiding slouching doesn’t mitigate those risks when you have an ergonomically incorrect set up.

I’ve just had a couple of weeks with agony in my neck and shoulder muscles - had to give in and go to the doc yesterday. Sweet relief today with the aid of anti inflammatories.

A decent chair that gives support to the lower back and encourages good posture. Keep your feet on the floor. Wrist support to prevent carpal tunnel.

Basically all the things I don’t have right now …

I use to have a nice desk and chair. Good monitor height and proper back/neck support. Then I moved and had to leave those behind. I miss them.
Only thing I can add that hasn’t already been mentioned above is be sure to have good eye-ware (if you use them). Don’t try to do computer anything without. Other than that, don’t be afraid to bring the keyboard to you rather than fouling your posture by leaning over it.

I start out with a fairly good posture, and then end up slouching. 😅

I just make sure to get up at least once an hour and do a little stretch.

Well, at least I try to!!

How do y’all sit when you’re working?

Hello @graphtersawyer!

I usually sit in an upright position as if I was sitting on an ✈️

shutterstock_1086409910.thumb.jpg.a2bfa3d2e175b5645fc224c1e062eaf3.jpg

Any suggestions for a better work environment or posture correction?

Recently, I invested in a Balance Ball Chair. I spotted them at my Doctor’s office (routine visit). Of course, I inquired about it and where they bought it from. I LOVEEEEEEEEE this chair. 💕 It keeps my posture/spine inline, perfect ergonomic support and it’s very comfy to plant my buttocks. I work out as well so it multifunctional. :ok_hand:t4:

One with handles.

fchair_arm__63353.1460689062_1280_1280.thumb.jpg.b5ce28d76719de51eb62e061891fef8d.jpg

One without the handles.

05-63057_Ultimate-BalanceBall-Chair_A.thumb.jpg.468fac5393be95b312e0d97eb77b42a9.jpg

I’m a girly girl, so looking to buy something like this:

fur-exercise-ball-desk-chairs-c.jpg.9bde3e79f2c32070137d7bc50903ed5b.jpg

@eoinfinnegan OMG, you’re hilarious! 😆

I bet you fart :wind_face:

Ugh! I found myself slouching, too. Plus sitting in other weird & crazy positions. I had to fix the issue.

I sit in a rubbish chair that’s so un-ergonomic it could kill a chiropractor.

In theory, I could work on my tablet from the sofa or even in bed. However, my brain seems to be conditioned to only work when I’m hunched over a laptop like an old lady.

That’s resoundingly my situation. 😂

How do y’all sit when you’re working?

Hello @graphtersawyer!

I usually sit in an upright position as if I was sitting on an ✈️

1a49a16fae54f0899bc82f96dde843b6abe6bce1.jpeg

Any suggestions for a better work environment or posture correction?

Recently, I invested in a Balance Ball Chair. I spotted them at my Doctor’s office (routine visit). Of course, I inquired about it and where they bought it from. I LOVEEEEEEEEE this chair. 💕 It keeps my posture/spine inline, perfect ergonomic support and it’s very comfy to plant my buttocks. I work out as well so it multifunctional. :ok_hand:t4:

One with handles.

846865e1dcbcd513853181ef5c12b3364222f769.jpeg

One without the handles.

8fe71e83b6cce3cd5da176be28a40cdf3397a704.jpeg

I’m a girly girl, so looking to buy something like this:

3788b83cff3868acd71992e6b4305e4e1bab0249.jpeg

@eoinfinnegan OMG, you’re hilarious! 😆

I bet you fart :wind_face:

Ugh! I found myself slouching, too. Plus sitting in other weird & crazy positions. I had to fix the issue.

OMG, you’re hilarious! 😆

I bet you fart :wind_face: at the screen, too! LOL

I don’t really want to know why u think I would aim at the screen but I feel I have to deny this allegation 😂

Archived