How Fiverr algorithm works?

jagodesign

Hi,

I always have this in mind but recently, I am trying to really understand how this algorithm works… it seems that CS doesn’t want to talk about it so, I want to reach out to you guys so you can give me your expertise or experiences about this matter.

Do you know what factors are taking into consideration? I know that rating, completing orders, cancelation rate, responsive time maybe are involved but, I’ve never been that perfect till now in those aspects and my impressions and sales are simply dropping…

Thanks in advance,
Jago

Very good question! Those basic things you listed for sure are the main factor. But sometimes you can see super seller gigs ranked very weirdly, being overshadowed by garbage gigs with poor ratings and no orders in queue on page 10 or worse. I know a seller who’s gig was there for over a year, despite having better stats on her gig than 95% of other gigs on the whole Fiverr platform! So there’s some very weird hidden requirements as well that can explain the lack of sales. Would be nice to know more! Perhaps a Fiverr employee could share some secrets with us 😉

Very good question! Those basic things you listed for sure are the main factor. But sometimes you can see super seller gigs ranked very weirdly, being overshadowed by garbage gigs with poor ratings and no orders in queue on page 10 or worse. I know a seller who’s gig was there for over a year, despite having better stats on her gig than 95% of other gigs on the whole Fiverr platform! So there’s some very weird hidden requirements as well that can explain the lack of sales. Would be nice to know more! Perhaps a Fiverr employee could share some secrets with us 😉

Totally agreed with you! There is something very weird going on behind.

And yes, someone that can provide helpful information is very welcomed!

Yea, it is Fiverr best kept secret. 🙂 All listed thimgs are part of it for sure, but there is probably also a little bit of random sorting included.

But that “random thing” can take effect by months? I mean I have an awesome past year but this current year is going really bad so far… I hope that this can change asap…

We will never know how the Fiverr algorithm works, just as Google doesn’t share the calculations and “secrets” behind their infamous internet search algorithm. If these “secrets” were publicly known, then that would open the door for nefarious users to exploit the system to their own advantage. Fiverr and Google keep the details of their search algorithms a secret so that the system cannot be misused, hacked, or exploited.

But that “random thing” can take effect by months? I mean I have an awesome past year but this current year is going really bad so far… I hope that this can change asap…

Have you looked how your gig is listed if sorting by best selling? Is it where it used to be?

Have you looked how your gig is listed if sorting by best selling? Is it where it used to be?

Yes, I checked and is around the third page which is not bad but, I’m not sure how many buyers sort out the filter of search, for default the results show in the “Relevance” sort. So…

I am really curious about that too. Like… what is the factor that determines gigs with 4.2 rating or lower being at the first page of their category? 😛

Yes, that’s what I mean too, there are lots of things going on we’ll never find out so…

Anyways, we can’t stop trying out new things and sharing them.

I don’t know how it works, but I know it doesn’t work fine. why?

1.1. when you search any keyword, the result in RELEVANCE, BEST SELLING and NEWEST ARRIVALS are the same. So these filters are bugged or the algorithm is really amateur.
1.2. To make these filters (RELEVANCE, BEST SELLING and NEWEST ARRIVALS) works properly, the user must refresh the page.

1. In categories ranking, many top sellers (top 3 sellers) were drag down 50-100 positions in a single night, even performing better than anyone. In my case, I had to achieve the top positions again in these last 3 weeks. In other words, I lost the performance I did over 4 years in a single day, because this algorithm.

2. In categories ranking yet, I can see many amateur sellers, with low ratings and almost no reviews in the top of many categories being consider Best Selling. Maybe fiver should change the filter “best selling” to “random selling”. Example: there is a gig with 27 reviews over 7 months in front of a gig which got this number of reviews in 4 days.

PS: all these tests were made with different connections, computers, devices, browsers, and clean cookies and caches. Everything was already reported to fiverr CS, but nothing was made (not even item 1.1 and 1.2).

In my opinion, fiverr is more worried to give a chance to mediocre gigs, instead focus on those good sellers who are the real source of income and reputation of Fiverr company.

1.1. when you search any keyword, the result in RELEVANCE, BEST SELLING and NEWEST ARRIVALS are the same. So these filters are bugged or the algorithm is really amateur.

1.2. To make these filters (RELEVANCE, BEST SELLING and NEWEST ARRIVALS) works properly, the user must refresh the page.

1. In categories ranking, many top sellers (top 3 sellers) were drag down 50-100 positions in a single night, even performing better than anyone. In my case, I had to achieve the top positions again in these last 3 weeks. In other words, I lost the performance I did over 4 years in a single day, because this algorithm.

2. In categories ranking yet, I can see many amateur sellers, with low ratings and almost no reviews in the top of many categories being consider Best Selling. Maybe fiver should change the filter “best selling” to “random selling”. Example: there is a gig with 27 reviews over 7 months in front of a gig which got this number of reviews in 4 days.

PS: all these tests were made with different connections, computers, devices, browsers, and clean cookies and caches. Everything was already reported to fiverr CS, but nothing was made (not even item 1.1 and 1.2).

In my opinion, fiverr is more worried to give a chance to mediocre gigs, instead focus on those good sellers who are the real source of income and reputation of Fiverr company.

I agree 100% with everything you said. Same thing happened to me. One of my gigs was on the first page of its category by “best selling” filter and in one night it just moved to last page. This happened about a week ago. The same moment, gigs with 4.4 and 4.2 rating appeared in the first page. This has not changed untill now. I thought it was some temporary bug in search results but seems like nothing will change.

I agree 100% with everything you said. Same thing happened to me. One of my gigs was on the first page of its category by “best selling” filter and in one night it just moved to last page. This happened about a week ago. The same moment, gigs with 4.4 and 4.2 rating appeared in the first page. This has not changed untill now. I thought it was some temporary bug in search results but seems like nothing will change.

I already reported all this to fiverr CS. But I believe as many good sellers possible do this too, maybe they change their mind

Same happened here. My best selling gig which was on the first page (best selling filter) was dragged down to 5th page within a couple of days 😕 Contacted support but didn’t get a satisfactory answer. Still scratching my head trying to figure out, how a gig with a couple of reviews and has a rating lower than 5 stars performs better than a gig with 13000+ reviews with 5 stars.

i may like to add on here !!! there is something to do with the private feedback as well !! the things we as sellers will never be able to know !! i had to get a job done from fiverr few days ago … i first contacted the seller in messages during my conversation i was asked whether the response of the seller is professional etc etc… i proceeded to place the order… with the delivery i also received an option for private feedback regarding the seller !! what i could understand from all this is that the most important factor is that private feedback!!

It’s always happened, fiverr like to change your mood from passionate to miserable from time to time, that’s how the algorithm works.I’ve been on this platform for so many years and it’s not a bug, it’s a ‘feature’. What we can do is ‘pray’ that fiverr changed it in the near future and at least have a guidance to let seller know how it works.

Same happened here. My best selling gig which was on the first page (best selling filter) was dragged down to 5th page within a couple of days 😕 Contacted support but didn’t get a satisfactory answer. Still scratching my head trying to figure out, how a gig with a couple of reviews and has a rating lower than 5 stars performs better than a gig with 13000+ reviews with 5 stars.

9-5 stars performs better than a gig with 13000+ reviews with 5 stars.

The same situation, I have around 13k reviews in the video category, I think it’s the gig with the highest number of reviews in this category, are overtaken by gigs that do not have at least 10 reviews and no level.

I hope that this filter BEST SELLING will return.

I salute your every word.

Literally I’ve been bugging with this for 2 months now.

I was getting 10+ orders easily on daily basis.Now I can’t get single order.All because of algorythm…

I can only imagine how difficult it is to strike a balance. Talented new sellers need visibility just as much as those with thousands of orders, otherwise, diversity suffers.

I’d love to be in a place where I have so much repeat business, that my rank doesn’t matter. Wishful thinking.

I think it’s easy to figure out how it approximately works. You just have to take a look at what it’s good for Fiverr and what statistics they’re making.

1. The amount of orders and how much $ they get from that
  2. You bring new customers to the platform or not
  3. How many people clicking and viewing your profile
  4. Those are new people or not. How many of them order from you.

or something like this so there isn’t any paranormal force or power at all.

It’s totally able to explain everything, for example, the guy who tells you he started with higher prices and he could reach something bigger quickly, the guy who tells you about how it’s important the EFFECTIVE marketing/promoting, the “I got 15000 reviews with 5 rating but I’m not the first one in the list” > It’s obviously a function of time, and a lot more.

So I’ve contacted CS with question what happened with algorythm,and employee,after generic reply, automatically closed my ticket,yes,closed it!
**NOTE:**I did not ask for better placement or something like that,I share my gigs myself everyday and do marketing.
After I asked why she closed it and who approved that,the other employee reopened ticket and answered me with generic reply saying:

Hi again,
Thank you for the follow up. I am sorry that you feel this way.
As we explained, we cannot provide you with any information on our search engine. Also, gigs rotate constantly, so you need to keep that in mind.
We also cannot guarantee any orders, we simply provide the marketplace for your services.
We are here if you need anything else.
Regards,

MY REPLY:
Well when will my gigs come to rotation?My earnings cut into half and more.
Im having this kind of trouble for 2 months.
Also there are a lot of us sellers complaining about this on forum,we have over 1000 reviews and cant get single order,whereas new guys who are not even rated are in 1st page in search and have lots of orders in queue.
How is that possible?
This is not right at all,fix your algorythm.
How is it possible that your colleague close this ticket without my approval?Thats just rude.
This marketplace just gets worse and worse for treating your sellers like this!
I believe I’m not the only one with this concern. Since Fiverr is the only source of income to many people, I’m sure they won’t put up with this behaviour from your side and site in general! There are for sure many other freelancing websites where many of us will definitely go because Fiverr isn’t what it used to be. It seems like that you could face a great loss and you’re not taking it seriously at all which is shown by your actions. Such a shame for a website that used to be one of the best.

Archived