How I turned a potentially terrible experience and cancelled order into a glowing review

talethia

Hi guys, not too long ago I had an experience with a buyer that started off well enough, but was starting to take a turn for the worse. I was able to keep the customer happy while respecting the value of my work and ended up with a great review!

At first they had a buget that was lower than my normal asking price, I negotiated with them to a higher price, but still a little lower than my usual.

I delievered the work and they said they were happy with it and said they even wanted to tip me. However, then they wanted to change the script a bit and have me re-read it. Now usually if it’s easy enough to jump in the booth for a few seconds and re-record a line or two, I’m happy to do the edit for free. However the script change made it so I would need to re-read the whole thing which is a lot more time. This is all explained in my “buyer requirements”. I make it very clear that if there are any changes to the script after I have delivered work, I need to charge accordingly. So I informed him that I would need to charge for it and explained my reasonings why and referred to my requirements.

This is where things started going south. He started complaining that it’s “only a few changes” and that I should do him this favor as a customer courtesy. I kept explaining to him that I would have to re-read the full script (and it was a long one) and that it’s not “just a few changes”. He kept complaining and begging me to do it, saying that “remember, we want to tip you!” As if dangling a tip over my head is going to change things.

At this point I had already done the work for less than usual, so I was ready to to tell him exactly what I thought of him and his tactics for trying to get free work. However, I kept my cool and simply explained how I have already given him “customer courtesy” by doing the work for less. I told him how I appreciate his order, but I value my time and need to be paid for it. And unless he can accept the charges for the modifications, I will consider the transaction completed.

He sent me many messages asking me to do it for less than my asking offer (again). And I simply chose not to respond. (responding to him only encourages the “negotiation”) I decided I would stick to my guns and value my work.

Not too long after that he agreed to my offer and I was able to complete the gig. He had a few other requests after that that were minor and were easily taken care of. In the end, he left me a 5 star glowing review encouraging the community to try my services. He even messaged me personally after that saying how happy he was that we could end the gig on great terms. Which I agreed was a happy ending to a potentially disastrous experience.

So even if you have a a buyer who is difficult to work with, remain polite, value yourself and your work, and see if some of those bad experiences turn into great reviews!!

On a less rosy note, “how I wasted acres of time on a cheapskate for a good review”

Not a criticism, I’ve done the same many times! I do think, however, that when the budget is already beyond what you’d be happy working with, it’s time to say no. Obviously depending on personal circumstances needs may vary, but if you don’t need the cash, then just say no, because you open yourself up for abuse. Decide what you’re worth and stick to it.

I speak as someone who usually goes on the warpath with bad buyers…(old testament style, baby) but it’s not worth the time or energy. The best thing is to just use that nice word “no” and move onto the next client who loves your work and respects you. Or at least doesn’t behave like your ex-client!

The #1 red flag that should be respected every time to help you identify clients who should be fired is when they don’t respect your fees, demand more than they purchased, and treat you like a prostitute desperate for money by dangling tips in front of your face. Fire those clients. Fire them all the way back to the bargain basement they came from.

Archived