Fiverr Community Forum

How Is It Even Possible to Get Gigs without a Degree

I’m just frustrated that no matter how hard you work, you can’t get a gig without a degree or advanced work experience.
I have taken the assessments when I have a moment to prove that I am at least capable of the skills I claim, I have written my descriptions and gigs to the best of my ability, and I have invested time researching how to develop my skills and optimize my profile that I could have been using on my college coursework. But I have still gotten nothing, even after submitting multiple job offers (that I can reasonably do a good job with, of course) to buyer requests. It’s just getting kind of frustrating, and I’m wondering whether being on here is a waste of time.

4 Likes

You joined this month. Some sellers take several months to get their first sale, some never get any. I’ll not spout encouraging-but-empty platitudes, but instead state that based on your posts, you have a good advantage in clear English.

I will caution, however, that you should NOT be relying on Fiverr for any income for the first year. Your school should, indeed, come first. I did note that you state ‘undecided’ for your degree, which is fine, but contradicts the ‘2021’ graduation year.

12 Likes

I don’t have a degree and I haven’t worked as a writer prior to here (although I did spend the past four years travelling and learning languages which in my mind is pretty similar - but I don’t have any papers to prove that).
I’m doing fine now - but the beginning was definitely rocky. It really depends on what you do / how many others provide something similar. The way I see it as long as you do a recent job you’ll get noticed at some point. Trying out different things (like freelancing, different jobs and so on) will prove to be very useful in the future as we gain experience - or at least that’s what I like to think.

4 Likes

Thank you; this is super helpful!

Try not to get hung up on the degree part. That’s got nothing to do with it.

Some people with a degree are hopeless in the real world. Some people without a degree are astoundingly talented and inspirational.

The reality is that most buyers don’t want to know about your college or university degree or experience. They want to know whether you can do the job. In fact, the more a seller goes on about qualifications - the less experienced they can appear.

8 Likes

I agree with @english_voice 100%. I do have the degree needed to do my job, but I don’t showcase that or my studies on my profile. Why is that? Because people just want to know whether you can do the job or not. They are more interested in my samples, that’s what shows them whether I am qualified or not.

Gig creation tests are a way to weed out those that don’t have the skills to offer a service, and that’s fine. Sure, some people don’t have a degree, others do, but in the end it all comes down to offering a service or not. There are qualified people without degrees that are self-taught, especially in fields like programming. And they are very good. So it’s up to the customer to identify what he likes and dislikes, in the end.

5 Likes

Hey there! Fellow word-worker here. Let me offer some gentle direction:

(My take on college, if it’s tl;dr for you, skip to the bold below)

I’m a chaotic mess of education - literally 5 community colleges, probably every elective known to man under my belt, and not so much as an AA or AS to show for it. College, barring extremely specific vocations (e.g. medicine, law, etc - stuff without a lot of wiggle room for error in practice) hypes itself up pretty loudly in a way that, at 38 years alive so far, I just don’t see bearing out in the non-academic world. Degrees are used as gatekeepers rather than actual proof you’ve learned something you can put to use - I’ve got friends with Doctorates working retail…as in, more than one.

It behooves schools that charge a staggering amount of tuition, books, room and board, etc. to position their “product” (an “educated” you) as an extremely valuable one, proof not required. With a very small handful of gimmicky exceptions, it’s a promise of value they’re under no obligation to make good on - if you flounder in the real world despite your fancy paper, the overwhelming response narrative is that you’re “just not trying hard enough,” somehow, even though you’re literally motivated by actual…survival?

(Okay, back to it!)

What I’m getting at is that, and I don’t mean this in a cruel or dismissive way, but a literal one: no one cares about what courses you’ve taken, your GPA, etc. They care about actual past performance and what you can do for them - a.k.a. results. Academic work is banned by Fiverr (on that subject, you should probably remove those mentions from your bio/gig text before your account get banned), so your performance in school has little to no bearing on your performance here. The question your gig should answer is not “Is this a good student?” it’s “Is this a good seller?”

The “product” you’re offering is also extremely broad. Think of it in terms of food - right now you’ve got a big ol’ sign that reads “Restaurant.” There’s no menu, there’s no specialty, there’s no type of cuisine - people don’t get hungry for “food”, they get hungry for Tex-Mex, Japanese, Indian, etc. Figure out what type of editing you’re best at (not academic, though) and frame your offerings that way. Think about the terms people would use to search for your services on here, and incorporate them into your gig text and title. Peek at the highest-performing editors on here and see what they’re doing in their profiles, mimic that feel and positioning.

Hope this helps, and I genuinely hope you find success here. Don’t be discouraged!

10 Likes

Thank you; this is incredibly helpful! I’ll definitely specify what I do best at in my gigs/find nonacademic works to put in my portfolio.

A degree is most definitely not required in order to be successful in Fiverr. There’s a plethora of top rated sellers with no educational institutions listed on their profiles and that seemingly hasn’t hindered them at all. For sellers in the artistic/creative categories, it doesn’t seem to be an issue, but I’m not sure enough to claim it’s the same for sellers in technical/academic categories.

Personally, I did the college routine, got a degree, graduated summa cum laude, and found out afterwords that I derived no enjoyment working in the field I studied in. Since my degree is irrelevant in what I currently do and offer, I don’t list it.

Starting off on the Fiverr is definitely the toughest period of time, and starting off during this pandemic only makes it even tougher. The majority of sellers will never even obtain a single order, will become dejected, quit the platform, and leave their profile to clutter the site with the growing multitude of other inactive sellers.

Persistence is important, but persistence alone is not enough. Make certain that you are offering something that strangers are willing to take a risk to purchase from you. If you are able to establish some regular customers and develop a track record of delivering solid work, things get a bit easier and easier. Don’t let momentary frustration dictate your efforts. Create a plan, establish a routine, set realistic goals, and take appropriate action.

4 Likes

There are also Pro rated sellers without a degree so… I agree :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! I will probably take a few days to revamp my gigs and work on a new one I think would work well; I appreciate your time!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about a degree. I’m completely self-taught at what I do and it never stopped me from getting orders.

2 Likes

Hello
You once mentioned that your gig comes and go
I would like to ask about my gig. its been more a moth my gig is de-ranked and didnt came back in search again, do you have any idea or tips how can I again bring into search aagin

It’s different for everyone… it also takes a while to get a good stream of orders on Fiverr. There are also loads of people who don’t have degrees that are very successful on here.

I have a degree, I’ve been on Fiverr for almost three years, I’ve optimised my gigs and I’ve only had 6 orders. It also took me almost 3 years to get my first job out of university…

1 Like

I don’t think degree matters. They haven’t asked for my MBA yet and I did okay.

1 Like

There’s nothing you can do to “get in” search - it’s entirely decided by Fiverr and largely arbitrarily / at random. There’s an algorithm, sure, but it’s kept secret for a reason. Just follow best practices - e.g. have decent gig pictures, make sure your gig text isn’t copied / plagiarized, spellcheck your writing, and provide professional communication and results.

I popped your real estate logo gig in, and if you didn’t swipe the content in your gig text, a bunch of other people did - got at least six hits for other sellers using exact text on Copyscape.

I also got 17 hits on your bio text. I use a paid service called Copyscape, let me know if you want me to DM you the usernames so you can report them for theft.

1 Like

I think Fiverr relies on “reviews” and buyer’s complaints as an indication. They don’t have the time to screen education background…

horriblelogo

The guy who did this logo PM me the f-word yesterday, I reported it and today his account is deleted.

4 Likes

In my case I have repeat buyers, so as long as you have constant orders and good reviews, you should be fine.

Right now I received a 1-star review from a scammer that just wanted to go away with the content and not pay me. Obviously I didn’t agree, I let the order complete by itself in 3 days, and as you can imagine he put a 1-star review. I am tired of scammers, and while I could have refunded, I decided to not do so.

I assume bad reviews will have a negative impact, but as long as you get back with positive reviews all the time you will be fine.

2 Likes

I do have repeat buyers too and they are placing good reviews after getting their work done but still gig is not in search. I’m worried