How much sleep do you get daily?

ollydave

I was discussing about a prospective project with one of my regular and high profile clients.

I always reply him quickly (within 5 to 30 minutes).

He sent me a surprising message this morning.

“Hi Olly, I love working with you and you deliver excellent videos but I just want to ask only one question, do you get any sleep?”

I was really surprised. I chuckled and replied him that I definitely get a good night’s rest daily. I have a wife and kids and always try to keep myself fit and healthy. I sleep about 8 to 10 hours daily. Not a doctor but I hope that is enough.

What about you? How do you deal with your business life and sleep?

Just curious

When I was in my final year in university, I had a discussion with a couple of my classmates about sleeping patterns. I was surprised to know that I was the only one that believed in getting the right amount of sleep.

Most of them depended on coffee or soaking their legs in freezing water and other methods to stay awake and read for lengthy periods during examinations.

If I don’t get the right amount of sleep, I can’t function. My productivity level rises to an amazing level after a nice rest.

My usual sleep routine is h9 pm - 10 pm till 6 am or 7 am. Anything below or above that will make me gruggy for the whole day.

I make sure I have time to sleep first. Business comes second.

I value my health, and sleep is a vital part of a healthy lifestyle.

As long as you understand what you need to do to balance health and work, you’re in a good place. 🙂

I agree. However a lot of people think they can cheat sleep and it haunts them later.

Wow…Isn’t that too little? I will be groggy the whole day if I tried that.

Too little, perhaps. But I’ve never been one for plenty sleep. At least, not since I started dictating my sleep time. Those few hours I sleep I’m totally lost to the world, like completely. But when I’m back, I’m back.

True Secret

You know, I’ve actually gone almost 48 hours without sleep on more than a few occasions. That’s when I got to know you can’t cheat nature. I found myself sleeping while awake. Oh, and I never take coffee… it comes naturally, I guess.

I found that you can go with as less as 4 hours of sleep, your body gets accustomed to the systematic lack of sleep eventually. But this will have it’s toll on your body. Your immune system will not fight the infections effectively, you’ll lack concentration, you’ll feel irritated from small things, you will get headaches, constipation, eye strain, muscle and joints pain and so much more, the list is really long. Not sleeping is a very unwise thing to do. 8-9 hours is optimal. 7 is okay. Less than 6.5–7 hours is dangerous.

Too little, perhaps. But I’ve never been one for plenty sleep. At least, not since I started dictating my sleep time. Those few hours I sleep I’m totally lost to the world, like completely. But when I’m back, I’m back.

True Secret

You know, I’ve actually gone almost 48 hours without sleep on more than a few occasions. That’s when I got to know you can’t cheat nature. I found myself sleeping while awake. Oh, and I never take coffee… it comes naturally, I guess.

Wow. 48 hours.

About 12 years ago, I had to rush my mum to the hospital around 10pm.

A lot happened that night/morning and I stayed awake till 5am.

While I was driving back home on the highway, my eyes shut for about 10 seconds. Luckily it was a straight road and no cars were on the road. I kept the steering straight.

This taught me a lesson about sleep.

For years I slept only 5 hours a day and it had it’s toll. For the last couple of years I can actually sleep whenever I want, but I’m a night breaker and most of the time I go to bed when other people get up. I try to sleep at least 6 to 8 hours a day.

It’s actually better to go in bed early in the morning. The phone keeps ringing during the day, and everybody needs you, and you have no time. When everybody sleeps, I have some time to do some “things.”

Wow. 48 hours.

About 12 years ago, I had to rush my mum to the hospital around 10pm.

A lot happened that night/morning and I stayed awake till 5am.

While I was driving back home on the highway, my eyes shut for about 10 seconds. Luckily it was a straight road and no cars were on the road. I kept the steering straight.

This taught me a lesson about sleep.

I get it. You can only push so long. Sometimes, I have to take a break and sleep during the day. This is mostly on days that I catch no more than 3 hours sleep at night. Somehow i just feel restless when I sleep more than 4 hours at a stretch. And when I wake I can’t go back, even when I’m jobless. When I just graduated from school, I found it difficult taking in more than 2 hours sleep at a goal because of my school routine. I had to be forced and cajoled somehow.

It’s funny though, the one time I wanted to stay up so bad and decided to hazard the use of coffee, I slept through the night, like a baby.

Archived