Fiverr Community Forum

How New Sellers Can Avoid Being Scammed on Fiverr

Fiverr is one of the largest job sites on earth. In such a huge market, there will be good and bad people. Therefore, it’s essential to be careful with who you work with.

Freelancers are business people earning a living, helping buyers meet their project needs.

Fiverr must have anticipated that people would try to game the system and has put in place Terms Of Service (TOS) to keep buyers and sellers in check.

However, for some people, rules don’t matter. They would do everything to take advantage of any loophole to cheat others.

After five years of working on Fiverr, I have observed three key areas some buyers take advantage of sellers for a scam.

If you are a new seller on the platform, here below are four red flags to avoid being scammed on Fiverr.

Promising a 5-star rating

Any buyer who talked you into accepting a job at his dictated price on the promise of 5-star and an excellent review is dubious! In the first place, influencing the rating system is against the Fiverr TOS. But in any case, you should not accept a job because of a 5-star promise.

Promising more jobs

Are you kidding? Do you need the guru to tell you that only a quality job can guarantee you more jobs? Now, the buyer who doesn’t want to pay you the right amount would push the bait of more jobs.

Please don’t fall for it! A buyer should deal with you on the quality of service you render, not on the assurance of more jobs.

Threatening to report you to Fiverr if you don’t accept his offer

I have seen this quite a lot! Some would even boast Fiverr gig is $5 flat!

Well, I know that when there is a dispute between buyer and seller, it’s mostly in favor of the buyer; this has made some dubious buyers use it against inexperienced sellers to get cheap jobs from the seller. As long as you follow Fiverr TOS, fear not!

Asking for a test job

I think Fiverr has secured both buyers’ and sellers’ interests in any transaction. Whether a seller likes it or not, when a buyer is not satisfied, they can get a refund. So where is test job coming from? The Truth is the dubious buyers use this method to get a professional job done without paying for it.

Imagine a buyer who needs an article written; he contacted the first seller to write a test on a given topic. After that, he moved to another proof-reader to edit the content as a test. He got his job done by moving from one seller to the other.

Never accept a test job from any prospective client. If they want to work with you, let the order be placed and deal with it.

Working on Fiverr is cool, and it has been my primary source of income for the past years. But, at different times, I have been scammed because I didn’t know how things work!

Therefore you need to understand how the system works.

As a seller, this is your job. Treat it as a business and learn how to survive on the platform.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for reading.

58 Likes

thanks for the information really it will help us

7 Likes

I’m a new seller and I didn’t know these things. Thank you very much for sharing.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing with us. Very helpful post

3 Likes

As a new seller I get many important suggestions from it

6 Likes

Very informative really helpful…Thank you

4 Likes

This is not true. Fiverr terms of service are clear - when a service is provided as agreed, quality of delivery is not grounds for cancelation. Otherwise, I could hire whomever I want for whatever I want and just get a refund claiming “I didn’t like it”. That’s absurd.

I’ve had this happen in the past, some “smart” buyers trying to get away with it. Didn’t work. I refused cancelation, and CS sided with me.

9 Likes

This is really informative. I appreciate it the most. But most new sellers won’t read. Wouldn’t come to the forum to acquire such insight like you just did.
Thanks once again.

3 Likes

It’s very informative. Thanks

3 Likes

Lot of information here…

3 Likes

Actually - that used to be true, but now … not so much.

CS tend to answer buyers first and as a result they cancel without checking. You can fight it, particularly if you as a seller got there first with your CS ticket … but CS is trigger happy to get things done quickly …

Or at least that’s my current experience, as well as that of many others here.

7 Likes

It will depend on order value and seller status. A no level seller on a $5 order probably won’t be as lucky, as CS won’t waste time on that. A Pro or TRS on a $500 order will be much more likely to get them on their side, specially if they get in first and explain their case well.

3 Likes

As I said - that used to be true. Not now.

Levelled sellers are finding the same thing, no matter the value.

@mariashtelle1 - was it you that mentioned this kind of issue a while back? You won, eventually, I think …

5 Likes

I had a couple of experiences lately that confirm what I said, but ymmv. I even got a refund from Fiverr on a cancelled order in one instance (and it didn’t count for cancelation stats).

3 Likes

Pro or TRS … ? I believe Pros are guaranteed an answer in 2 hours … and insured for cancellations …

3 Likes

What you said is correct, but different sellers with different experiences. However, from my interactions with sellers, the pendulum always swing in the direction of the buyer. This protection is enough for any buyer who has no ulterior motive to place order after discussing with seller without thinking he would deliver a poor job.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

2 Likes

Mee too. What happened was customer was annoying and was being rude, so I contacted customer care and told them to cancel the order. They did cancelled the order but also gave me the full order amount because I was right at that time.

CS does care about the orders. I always make sure that I do my best to give my best service according to the budget.

4 Likes

Yes, CS cares about the order because customer is always right! Its only annoying when some dubious buyers take advantage of it. Thanks for sharing your thought!

3 Likes

Ahahahahah! I needed a good laugh, tbh.

4 Likes

Umm, Nope!

giphy

2 Likes