Fiverr Community Forum

How should I report a seller that copied my gig description?

So, I have read a couple of threads of people that had their gig descriptions copied by other sellers. Most of them reported the seller, and some contacted and asked them to change their description, which sounds insane to me because, uh, why would you contact someone that stole your description? :sweat: I mean… they just STOLE something from you. Besides, there’s this whole situation about not contacting a seller if you’re not interested in their gig…

But anyway, I was just wondering how I should report the seller in question. Should I use the report option in their profile or should I open I ticket with CS? I know that CS is dealing with a lot at the moment, so I didn’t want to open one if that’s not the best way to go about it. Any opinions? Have you had that happened to you and, if so, what did you do?

PS: Here’s a side by side screenshot of my description (01) and the seller description (02). He also “designed” his gig image based on mine :woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

I would just contact CS

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it is copied 100%, it’s not word for word, but obviously very close. Sadly I doubt CS would do anything about it unless it was exactly word for word.

2 Likes

I just found out he also copied the description of my translation gig - great! :slightly_smiling_face:

He has only 2 gigs and both of them were “inspired” by my own gigs. I think I’ll try to contact CS anyway and see what happens.

3 Likes

How did you even stumble upon this person with your exact identical gig!? :thinking:
But I do agree, this is quite alarming…:cold_sweat:

I was checking my gig in incognito mode and, believe it or not, his gig was one of the “Recommended For You” options. I thought his gig image was very similar to mine so I clicked on it :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I had the same issue. Some seller copied my pictures and gig description. I visited their gig click on a flag and Choose Copyright Violation. Fiverr Safety and Trust Team is strict about that. Two days later, I received Email From Fiverr Saying “We Wanted to let you know that the gig you have reported was found illegitimate and removed”. I did this several time and you can do that as well.

7 Likes

@virginiabg Yup! You should report the Seller. I think most of us have had issues with copy cats. Share the screenshots with CS. I’ve reported a few copy cats and 5r CS took action. :smiling_imp:

I find it flattering but I’m annoyed that people do not have an original :bone: bone in their body. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s OK to be inspired but use your own words. Sheesh!

7 Likes

Maybe I should do that as well. Thank you for letting me know! :blush:

I just contacted CS and attached the screenshots (I also quoted ToS and Fiverr’s Community Standards just in case). Let’s see what they will do.

Right?! And the worst part is that, on his profile, he claims to be a teacher :grimacing:

5 Likes

Are you a teacher, miss? At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if he stole even that from you. :laughing: But jokes aside, please do report it to the CS, and perhaps even mention how it was on the recommended gig’s list next to yours. That might give your complaint a bit more credibility.

2 Likes

Say what?! :woman_facepalming:t4:
Wow, that’s a crying shame LOL.

Let us know what they say. Welcome to the club, people are copied every day on here. Copy cats steal thinking people will not notice. I will say my experience with CS was great on how they handled the situation.

3 Likes

No - haha! :laughing: That part he came up with by himself. I guess it’s a plus that at least he didn’t steal my profile description.

I will! Thank you for your support, although I was hoping I wouldn’t become part of the club :zipper_mouth_face: :pensive: It’s no fun to deal with copycats and now I’m kinda wondering if I should go page by page to see if someone else is using my description (am I going crazy here thinking there is more out there? Probably).

3 Likes

While it definitely isn’t fun getting you gig copied like that, you’re only doing yourself more harm if you are picking hair off your head trying to cope with that. Report any such thing if you do come across again in the future, but try not to overthink about it. GL!

2 Likes

The sheer AUDACITY on display here is astounding! Like how hard is it to be bloody original!? I’ve had moments where I didn’t know what to write in my gig description as well, but I picked out several others to get an IDEA and then formed my own gig around that. Not just copy-pasted!!! :roll_eyes: :unamused: :expressionless:

4 Likes

Oh, and I forgot to mention… he has a writing certificate (or so he claims). And here was I thinking that for you to be a writer, you needed to know how to write… I don’t know, your own description? :upside_down_face: :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

If you only knew how often I run into practically identical gigs from two or more sellers from different countries.

Since I don’t know who is legit, I skip all of them.

1 Like

So, those that copy are harming their chances of getting orders as well as the person they copied from! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

That’s what worries me the most! That’s it, I was already considering going on a copycat hunt, now I’m more than convinced. Hopefully, I’m not going to find more people using my gig description :crossed_fingers:t3: Hopefully…

3 Likes

No, you’re not, but you might go crazy if you make a habit out of playing whack-a-mole with people who copy your description or bio (yes, some do that as well … there are, or at least were, even whole sites that just cloned whole profiles of a big number of sellers here, essentially cloned Fiverr …)

1 Like

Contact C.S. with screenshots, best thing to do.