How the say "No" to potential buyers?

raubrim

I’m currently chatting with a potential client (making pixel assets for a Sy-Fy theme game) and after discussing the initial scope of the project, the amount of time it’ll take me to do it, and price for the work, the buyer asks me hours later if I could show any work of mine related to their requirements. I don’t have much Sy-Fy themed work and told/showed them as much. My spidey senses told me that the buyer isn’t too thrilled about the portfolio and I’ve reminded them that it’s perfectly reasonable to look for other sellers. They responded back that they believe I might be able to but is concerned if I “will be able to match the style I want?”

I might be jumping the gun here but in my experience, buyers I’ve worked with who’ve done this either dragged on the conversation (usually trying to get more work for a lower price or free drafts) before ghosting altogether. Other times, I convinced them I can do the work, and get stressed out from excessive micro-managing throughout the project and constant revisions during and after delivering for, arguably speaking, below minimum wage.

What I’m asking is, are there ways I can decline a request like this and still be professional?

Mine goes something like this:

Thank you so much for offering me the opportunity to work with you. After assessing the project details and deliverable(s), I don’t think I’m the best fit for this project. I hope you find someone who is and wish you the best of luck for this! Sincerely, [name].

Mine goes something like this:

Thank you so much for offering me the opportunity to work with you. After assessing the project details and deliverable(s), I don’t think I’m the best fit for this project. I hope you find someone who is and wish you the best of luck for this! Sincerely, [name].

Thank you so much for this suggestion!

You’re right to be concerned and say no.

I just say “I’m not suitable for this project, but thank you for your interest.”

If I they keep pushing, feel free to be more forward:

“As I said I’m not interested. Have a great day.”

Thanks so much! I really appreciate this suggestion too!

Archived