How to AVOID being Scammed!

rambosambo

I would like to admit that getting Scammed is not that common (from my experience) but it does happen. Below is my story of getting scammed and some tips to try and prevent it.

However I feel as if I recently did. In my scenario this guy who was looking for one of my gigs started having a decent sized conversation IN THE INBOX NOT THE ORDER PAGE with me about what he wanted, price and delivery time. We settled on about $85 for two days. He responded very quickly and convincingly each time making him seem ‘legit’. Anyway after much hard work I sent through a preview IN THE INBOX NOT THE ORDER PAGE. This preview was not the full gig but I guess it was enough for him to be tempted. For the next day I tried to contact him with no response. He downloaded the preview and ran. He got MY work and WILL use it for himself.

Anyway that’s my story and here are some tips to prevent getting scammed.

1. Only send through a preview with a watermark covering the image/video to prevent their use of it.

2. Try to avoid sending through previews.

3. If you cannot send through a preview make sure the buyer orders the gig/custom offer. Tell them it is just a preview and they can decline it. (Don’t send a preview in the inbox as they can run away like nothing happened).

4. Don’t start making the work until the buyer buys it. Otherwise you could be wasting your time.

5. Remember though that it may be a real person, stay nice and professional.

6. Instead of sending through a watermark it may work better to send through the image or video in extremely low quality. Waters marks can be removed, quality cannot be improved!

7.IMPORTANT - Don’t work from inbox messages!

IF YOU FEEL YOU GOT SCAMMED

If you feel that you did actually get scammed make sure to stay professional and don’t start having a go at them. These messages CAN be used against you. Make sure to apply some pressure. Such as telling them that you will contact Fiverr Support if they don’t respond withing the next 24 hours.

If someone really wants something that you have they will just order your gig. That simple. Don’t fall for these scams. There fake!

Tell me your scam story below.

Sometimes previews can’t be helped, my man. My new solution when dealing with new buyers is to send low resolution previews that can’t be used for print. Of course, it doesn’t stop him from cancelling and wasting my time, but perhaps it prevents him from stealing my work.

Watermarks are okay, but they tend to be obnoxious and removeable anyway. But you can’t upsize a bitmap image, baby.

I want to mention that many new sellers have been snagged by this. Not all buyers do it intentionally but unfortunately some do. I would suggest that your
tip 4 is critical. No seller should do more than 5 minutes of work (preferably none) to show proof unless an order has been placed.

Even though you can report buyers to CS for ths, CS usually can’t take steps against them. Thanks for sharing!

»» I came to tips to share a potential scam that others might see, so I’ll warn here. There is someone posting an offer in buyer requests with a $5 budget for articles. If you read the request, though, it says they will not pay you (so won’t buy a gig) but will publish your free work on their site.

They claim they will share adsense revenues with you but don’t do it. It would like require off-Fiverr contact and is clearly a fake $5 budget. If you see their post and you have leftover buds, you can send them an offer and just tell them Fiverr doesn’t allow this. When you click sent offers you will see their username and report them to Fiverr with a Customer Support ticket under Trust and Safety. Hopefully they will be banned.

I’m pretty sure I’m being scanned on my first gig ever… He had me make 20 five star reviews which isn’t that much work. But I don’t know how to work fiverr too well and when he sent his custom order i thought this meant he was locked in. There was no way for me to accept the order so I just did it and sent him the proof

Thank You for this tips…

Also I just use different method… I’m graphic designer and most of my buyers asking preview before they order. It’s really good thing. Because once you send the preview, buyer will order if he like it only. So you can avoid getting low rating and bad reviews…

But I never send preview in real size or high quality. I always use Mockup images. It is better than watermark… so they can not use Mockup :)… they will buy I it

Thank You

To be completely honest with you, the type of people who message me through inbox a million times forcingly asking me to do certain things before even purchasing end up being scammers. It happens very rarely but oddly enough when they do, it is under these circumstances.

Archived