How to avoid cancelling orders

ynneblack

I know this is nothing new, but I wanted to share this from my experience as a seller. There are many ways to solve problems, without cancelling. 🙂 And that’s good for everyone.

0) Think twice.

Will you actually want the product? If you change your mind once the product is almost/completely finished, it's not fair to cancel because you changed your mind. Make sure you actually want it. :)

1) Read everything twice.

Not just gig title! It says "I'll do xy for $5", but that can be misleading. The prices always START AT $5, which means you will indeed get something for it, but there's a chance you want something more advanced. Some people will read 20 words of your script, some will read 200 and some will write their own - and they can all offer it for $5. Please be careful and read it, actually read it all.
(My example: it says "I'll draw anything for $5", but I can assure you I will not paint realistic landscape with a group of ten realistic people for 4 bucks. /Fiverr takes 20% of each order, which is fair, but sellers get less than you pay them/)

2) If unsure, contact the seller.

Not every kind of gig requieres contacting before purchasing. If someone will put your text in pre-made template, you only need to know how long your text can be or if you can ask for different color scheme etc. But if you want something specific, e.g.program developing, help from virtual assistent, someone to solve your website issue, or personal art/design created for you, it may be wise to ask first.
And because you read description, you would have noticed, but I'll point it out anyway:
SOME SELLERS ACTUALLY ASK YOU TO CONTACT THEM BEFORE ORDERING. Do it. They usually have a good reason for it! :) And if you follow their simple instruction, you will be much more satisfied with your result. Trust me.
(My example: my gig duration is 20+ days, but I can complete some orders in 3 days. It depends on my overall schedule and on kind of project it is. If someone contacts me, I can tell them ahead if they will get it before their own deadline or not. I can also tell in advance if I'll be able to draw that or not - as an artist, I have a clue as where my limits are, but they're not so specific so I can't list them in my gig description. Therefore if anyone orders from me before contacting me, I may not be able to do that, and I'd have to cancel the order.)

3) Make sure the Fiverr deadlines match your own deadlines.

Every seller has a pre-set time of duration for their gigs. Some people offer express gigs, so you will get your product in 24 or less hours. But some people offer gigs that take 29+ days, and if you order gig extras, it can be even two months.
If you need something super complex and difficult, not just 1 minute video of talking on camera (No offence! I'm talking about time it takes to create the thing:) ), you probably understand it will take more time. But if your boss told you to get this xy thing done, and you want to get it on Fiverr, you probably need it before certain date. Don't be afraid - share your deadline with the seller. If he/she doesn't know you are in hurry, they can't help you and they will just follow their regular deadlines.
(My example: one buyer didn't say he had a specific date, and he cancelled after I slightly missed Fiverr deadline. It was because he requested so many modifications and he couldn't decide which idea he likes most, so we were stuck on sketch for maybe... two weeks? It was ridiculous. But I couldn't deliver it sooner, and he was okay with it, and then out of blue he cancels and tells me he got almost fired from his job. I would have made arrangments to meet his date and help him as much as possible, but he didn't tell me and he took days to reply, and then we were both un-happy.)

4) If seller's basic deadline is "too late", consider paying for extra fast.

Sure, not everyone will ask you to pay them extra, but if someone offers fully coloured book illustration in 3 weeks, and you need it in 5 days, you should add a few bucks. Some sellers will be kind enough to hurry up and give you their extra time and put priority on your order without any reward, but it would be mostly fair to compensate their efforts. :) If you think they really worked hard to meet your expectations, you can always tip them after. (By ordering on their tipping gig, or ordering on normal gig and explaining it's a tip and you don't want any job in return.)
Also, many people have the specific "I'll deliver this extra fast, in xy days" under their gig offer, amongst "gig extras". If the option is there and you need it that quickly, include it in your order.
(My example: I wish I had time to put priority over other orders, but I don't. I'm okay with finishing it a few days earlier, but I can't finish my picture in 2 days just like that, unless I put other important things aside. For caricatures and other simple things I only set short time duration because I know I can handle it.)

5) If possible, communicate with seller during creation.

This is not possible for all gigs, but especially for design/art. If you need something more complex than exact re-painting of your photo or pre-made graphic template, it may be wise to make sure both sides know the goal. If possible, your seller could show you some draft/sketch, and maybe a stage or two during actual making. Not everyone will be willing to do this, but you can always politely ask them to show you some steps so you could make sure there isn't any big issue.
If you are curious and talkative and friendly, the seller will be much more likely to give you all his efforts for the best possible product. And if you comment on it as it is created, he may take it in consideration and make it even better according to your specific taste/needs.
(My example: this really goes mostly for art, but I always send at least 3-4 steps of each picture. I don't offer unlimited revisions, therefore it's useful to know if the buyer wants something changed before I finish the piece. Sketches are perfect for this, as they're simple to be adjusted a bit. Again, not everyone is willing to show the process, but it's easier to request changes on sketch than on the finished thing.)

6) Don't cancel because the result isn't exactly what you imagined.

Don't cancel based on your personal taste. If the result matches gig description and samples, there's no reason to cancel. But since you're unsatisfied, you can try to solve it. Contact the seller, this is unpleasant situation for both of you!
Ask him about the changes. If he states in his gig that he offers unlimited revisions, he may be okay with changing it for you and you can still get what you wanted.
But if they don't offer revisions, you can pay a bit of extra bucks for the changes and adjustments. And please,
don't cancel before talking with seller about the issue
Explain exactly what's the problem but be polite. Don't ask for more than what you paid for. The seller will much more likely help you if you stay friendly and you two together can figure out some solution! In most cases there's a chance you will get the product you wanted, it may just take more back-and-forth communication.

7) Please don't cancel because you don't want the product anymore.

I had this happen to me. The person asked me to draw something, I was 75% finished, they loved it, and then they asked for cancellation because they wouldn't have use for the picture for some reason (e.g. they found better gift). Please. Don't do that. This goes back to point 0).

(edit) 8) Make sure you know what you're getting.

Don't assume, just ask. E.g. for writing, you may or may not get it with specific keywords. In design, you may or may not get source files (PSD, EPS..) etc.

//Sorry if there are any mistakes, errors and typos. This is not my native language. I just wanted to share it with others. :)

Archived