Fiverr Community Forum

How to Become a Blockchain Developer

This is an article I wrote for my gig: I will write a Detailed Blockchain Research Article.
It happens to be among the first articles I’ve written here that are now published.

How to Become a Blockchain Developer

The Blockchain sector has experienced dramatic growth over the past year. Meanwhile, the demand for programmers familiar with the technology has quickly outpaced their supply. Freelance platforms such as Upwork and Toptal have experienced exponential growth in blockchain related hirings. Experienced developers are commanding sky-high salaries, leaving many wondering how to get involved. If you’re looking to become a blockchain developer, the resources in this guide will give you a head-start.

What is Blockchain?

Blockchain is a cryptographic method for creating a ‘permanent’ record on a distributed database. Unlike traditional databases, its records are not governed or kept by a central authority. Each transaction is stored in a block that is linked chronologically with all of the other blocks on the chain, all the way back to the very first. Once a transaction is validated and recorded on the ledger, altering it becomes computationally improbable.

Bitcoin has proven the use of blockchain for creating a peer-to-peer digital payment system. It’s composed of a decentralized network of miners using cryptographic methods to validate transactions and safeguard their records. Each new block that a miner produces comes with a reward of new tokens to provide an incentive for maintaining the system.

Even if you aren’t interested in cryptographic currency, blockchain can be useful for a variety of other purposes. Businesses and governments around the world are presently undertaking research, tests, and demonstrations to determine their best use of blockchain. There are currently applications being developed in nearly every industry, including supply chain management, accounting, identity management, and provably rare digital assets such as art, software, and video game items.

Getting Started

If you’re excited about working with this breakthrough technology, you’ll want to have a solid understanding of how blockchain works. The Bitcoin whitepaper is where it all began. It’s only 8 pages long, and well worth the read. Reading at least the first few chapters of Andreas Antonopoulos’ “Mastering Bitcoin” is also recommended, along with Introduction to Distributed Ledger from IBM.

Before detailing more specific resources, it will help to differentiate the main areas where developers get involved. At the heart of blockchain are the protocols governing the network, and the ledger it maintains. Next, are the back-end applications running on top of the blockchain, commonly known as smart contracts. Finally, there are the developers building apps that interact with the blockchain but don’t require specialized blockchain expertise. The last group typically works with popular web developing languages, and interact with the blockchain through APIs.

Core Developers

If you’re interested in working on blockchains themselves, you’ll need to know the fundamentals of cryptography and distributed systems. You’ll also need to be comfortable with different data structures like Stack, Queue, Linked List, Tree, and HashMaps. An awareness of tools such as Docker containers and microservice architecture is useful as well. C++ and Java are the most popular languages for developing in blockchain, supplemented by JavaScript. Many job listings also look for experience with Python, Golang, and Ruby. If you are already familiar with these languages, the best thing you can do is get involved with some open sourced projects on Github. Anyone hiring blockchain talent will be looking for evidence that you are fit for the task.

For an extensive collection of blockchain developing resources, you are welcome to search for “Become a Blockchain Developer” and find the full article on the site called “cbstechemporium.”

You can find the gig I wrote this for on my profile: https://fiverr.com/daviddoer

Mod Note: Reviewed and approved by Moderator.

4 Likes

It’s a good article, though has the buyer given permission for it to be re-printed here?

2 Likes

Yes, I got permission this morning before posting here

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this article with us .

2 Likes

You’re welcome. I thought some sellers here might be interested in learning more about how to get involved in blockchain developing, and of course, I’m open to feedback including criticism or suggestions.