How to get the ball rolling

hirevashisht

I started on Fiverr just under 2 months ago. At first I felt something that most newbies feel - it’s almost impossible to get orders if you’re a newbie.

Pure bollocks.

First let’s see the sort of excuses newbies (including myself at the time) come up with:

• It’s not possible to get orders if you’re a newbie
  • All orders go to Top Rated Sellers
  • A lot of orders go to Level 2 Sellers.
  • You have to have Level 1 status at the very least, in order to make sales.
  • The competition is too high
  • Buyers only order from reputed sellers
  • I don’t think my gig has any demand

Let’s get some perspective - the only one that may be true, is the last excuse. Notice I said, it may be true - in most cases, it won’t be true. All the other excuses are pure nonsense.

Sure, you won’t be ‘featured’ but you can still get orders. Fiverr provides leads to sellers - a lot of sellers somehow, end up missing the green box of leads on the home page. That displays the order requirements of a variety of buyers. You’ll also notice a blue box that has all the categories; let’s say you were selling flyer distribution; you can click on the option ‘Advertising’ located in the blue box. If you then scroll down to the green box, you will see some requests related to flyer distribution or something related to it.

Here’s what you should do next: if you think you can deliver any of the requests, click on the buyer that’s requesting the job, and SEND HER/HIM A MESSAGE! Tell them you can do it and then wait for a response.

This is exactly what I did, and I had a conversion rate of 25%; in other words, for every 10 messages I sent, I received anything from 2-3 orders. I kept doing this until I started receiving orders without me having to approach potential clients.

You’ll be surprised how well this works - one of my clients didn’t reply at all. I sent him a message once a day or once in two days reminding him about my previous message, that I haven’t heard back from him, and that I really am looking forward to hearing from him. 5-6 messages forward, and I receive an order from him saying “I normally never order from new sellers since I’m never sure of the quality - but you were so persistent, you made me want to order from you. I hope you do a good job, in which case I will order more gigs”. He did.

My main point: do not listen to people/forums, etc that claim it’s impossible to get orders on fiverr if you’re a newbie. They’re probably saying that because they haven’t been able to get orders - that ain’t the fact. If you persist and try just a little more, it’s more than possible for you to get enough and more orders.

Stay positive. Stay persistent. Have fun!

Best,

Vashisht

Guest jump2conclusion

I second that, be creative and you will make it - With an attitude of defeat before you begin you will get no where. Did’nt you listen to yoda man?? O_o

Thanks for the tips, Vashisht! I’ve been on fiverr for a little over two weeks and have received over 30 orders without initially knowing what was going on. After browsing the forums, it’s easy to find a wealth of information to help market yourself better and get more sales despite all the naysayers. As a newbie, I often worry about high competition and having a gig buried in a flood of similar gigs. Sometimes all it takes is added customer service and persistence and it will pay off huge with additional orders or referrals.

• 4 months later...
Guest chrislnz

As a total newbie here - only joined today, I am glad to see that I have already (quite inadvertently) followed Vashisht’s advice by clicking in the green box and emailing buyers on topics I know I can complete…

The follow-up to no response is good advice 🙂

Guest matt_garry

Reply to @vedmak: I get a lot of my gigs from requests and I do this by checking on an hourly basis if I can. Make sure I am the first to message. 25% is around what I get but I bet that number would be much lower if I wasn’t so diligent.

I have aply the same method as hirevashisht from the begining and I have reach Level2

For any logical reason they have took my badges and now I am like a new born in fiverr.

But I dont now if I will continue with fiverr. They dont offer support, just surprises.

I am positive, I like to laugh a lot but I will leave fiverr.

Till than I invite all of you to laugh with me and my site fragglesrock.com

Nice thread. I got my first sale 2 weeks after creating my first gig. That is the most essential order in my fiverr carrier.

On the first order, try to answer buyer question promptly, and most import ask him to leave feedback (if he doesn’t leave a feedback). Don’t forget to turn onn your ‘Live Portfolio’. 😉

Nice thread with some useful insights.

I started a month back and doing quite well without much promotion for my gigs. So, yes. too much reading , discussing on forums without any action causes this frustration. We may use the same time to make the gigs better or put better gigs and attract more buyers.

Guest thuyta

Very nice article. Fiverr is a HUGE marketplace, so there will be a ton of competition. Just try to be as original as you can!

Archived