How to make buyers understand commecial and broadcast license for Voice Over?

carloscerrato

I’ve been on Fiverr since 2012 and I’ve had a good experience so far, and sales are up and consistent. My issue (I wouldn’t say problem, because it’s not a rant, and I want this topic to be productive) is that sometimes it’s really hard for some buyers to understand when and why they need to order commercial or full broadcast licenses, and some buyers just don’t want to order those, even though the script is obviously for commercial or broadcast use.

How have you guys managed it? Do you think Fiverr should educate buyers more about this subject? I would like to know about your experience with this.

I have the same problem. I have to mention it in the description, FAQ and during the requirements process and still some people don’t get it. Always point the customer to the Fiverr TOS… It explains it there.

Yes, I also have it in the description, FAQ and requirements, it’s sometimes complicated to explain and sometimes buyers just claim they don’t need to order it.

Yes, I also have it in the description, FAQ and requirements, it’s sometimes complicated to explain and sometimes buyers just claim they don’t need to order it.

I think people read the description more than FAQ’s especially now that the profile info is in between. FAQs used to be right after the description.

If you include it in the description it should be fine, but I would also recommend adding that info in the welcome message when you get a new order.

Something like “Thank you for ordering … As I understand you’d like me to … and based on your selection you need it for…”. So that way if they didn’t read the info they can contact you and extra can be added when needed before you start working.

PS. It’s bit off topic, but I almost closed your video intro after 10 seconds because the sound had a poor quality. It’s not terrible, but for some reason I instantly figured that this is the quality one would get.

Your VO samples have good quality so you might wish to go over your video sound.

if it’s for broadcast on radio TV or the internet they definitely need broadcast rights. And if it’s advertising a product service or event but it’s not live broadcasting, they need commercial rights.

the only case in which they wouldn’t need it would be for charity or a free event or if it’s for personal use.

But just like me I’m sure you’ve had plenty of obvious commercial gigs where the client insist that they are not.

I’ve even had a few clients that say that they are not sure if they will use it for commercial use or not so they don’t want to pay for it. Which in my books, is a bunch of bullshit. They’re just trying to get out of paying extra.

if something like this happens again, contact Fiverr customer support and ask them to cancel the order for you so you don’t get penalized for it.

Remember, there’s 7 billion people in the world. A few of them are bound to be a******s…

I think people read the description more than FAQ’s especially now that the profile info is in between. FAQs used to be right after the description.

If you include it in the description it should be fine, but I would also recommend adding that info in the welcome message when you get a new order.

Something like “Thank you for ordering … As I understand you’d like me to … and based on your selection you need it for…”. So that way if they didn’t read the info they can contact you and extra can be added when needed before you start working.

PS. It’s bit off topic, but I almost closed your video intro after 10 seconds because the sound had a poor quality. It’s not terrible, but for some reason I instantly figured that this is the quality one would get.

Your VO samples have good quality so you might wish to go over your video sound.

I do something similar to that. In the requirements I have them make a selection out of three choices in a Drop Box menu. One choice is non-commercial non-broadcast use, the other is commercial non-broadcast use and the final is commercial broadcast use. This way they’ve at least confirmed what they are using it for. I’m sure there are people that generally don’t understand the Fiverr system and don’t know how to add commercial or broadcast rights. But at least this way it will help them communicate it to you and you can add it as an extra.

Thanks for the tip. I thought that I should show that it’s actually me offering the gig; but I think you’re right, it’s not at all a reflection of the actual sound quality I offer, I’ll keep that in mind.

As for the topic: Yes, I have it in the description labeled as important, and also in the welcome message for the order, I think some buyers just want to trick you and see if you’d go on with the order without them ordering the commercial license extra.

I do something similar to that. In the requirements I have them make a selection out of three choices in a Drop Box menu. One choice is non-commercial non-broadcast use, the other is commercial non-broadcast use and the final is commercial broadcast use. This way they’ve at least confirmed what they are using it for. I’m sure there are people that generally don’t understand the Fiverr system and don’t know how to add commercial or broadcast rights. But at least this way it will help them communicate it to you and you can add it as an extra.

That’s a actually a good way to do it, that way you can communicate to the buyer and they can’t say they didn’t know.

Here’s the dropdown menu I mentioned and my requirements. They may seem a bit strict but after 4+ years of being on Fiverr and dealing with a tonne of customers of varying languages, it pays to explicitly lay out your requirements. Feel free to use them.

Well, I believe they look professional, rather than strict. It gives you all necessary instructions to work, makes the buyer understand the process better, as well as know that he’s dealing with a professional seller.

Thanks!

On another note, changing anything from your gig affects your search ratings? I’ve always wondered that.

Well, I believe they look professional, rather than strict. It gives you all necessary instructions to work, makes the buyer understand the process better, as well as know that he’s dealing with a professional seller.

Thanks!

On another note, changing anything from your gig affects your search ratings? I’ve always wondered that.

Not that I’ve noticed. Who knows how the algorithm works?

Archived