Fiverr Forum

How to overcome the fiverr monopoly

I am a writer, and I offer 500 words for $5. I was looking at the front page, and a guy was offering 250 for the same price! I don’t understand how he could be getting orders. I do okay, but that guy is banking on half the work I do! So I guess my question is, how do I do that? And how did he?

I’m not sure how to answer your question. However, I believe it’s best not to compare yourself to other sellers. Not sure how long the seller you’re referring to has been around, however, you’re new (me too!) and the focus should be on offering a great service for your gigs. Also, usually writers on the front page are featured and will naturally have more buyers because of the added exposure. Now, that’s not to say ignore the market, either. My opinion probably is bollocks, and I’m sure more successful writers will chime in.

Change your description! That’s all. :slight_smile: Just say that you’ll write 250 words for $5. When I first started on Fiverr, I was offering (2) 300 word articles for $5. After that, my offer went down to (1) 300 word article, then (1) 250 word article. I didn’t have as much feedback as you, and yet the orders increased. If I were a buyer, I would actually be less likely to purchase the million words for $5 gig.

p.s. My article writing gig is suspended from taking orders. Although, you can see it here:

http://www.fiverr.com/typingservice/write-2-articles-with-300-words-native-english-speaker

I suspended it because there are other services I’d rather focus on. But yeah, just change your description and try it.

I just want to say, as writer who does offer a copious word count, I get many great buyers–no problem.

It’s different for many sellers. If anything, experiment with a lower word count, and see how buyers react.

I think that’s how everyone starts out on here. They do the most for the least to get the initial reviews and move up prices as their rating, experience and quality grow. If you feel you are offering higher quality then the gig is worth, increase the price.

I started out offering my services super low, $5 an item( which is insane for the time it took), but as I gained reviews and experience I was able to eventually quadruple my price for the better service/quality. I usually never have a full order less than $45.

That being said, I do not get tons of orders but I do not get any cheapo give me free stuff or I’ll hold you hostage buyers either( only one so far in my fiverr history). I do have enough orders to keep me busy though and have beat my record for monthly profit :slight_smile: .

Although my gig is at a higher price than most of the gigs in my category, my buyers have left some awesome reviews and I can showcase my work to prove the quality is worth the price.

I think it’s all about finding that sweet spot, don’t want to charge too much for your service that no one buys or not enough to where you burn yourself out and provide lower quality work.

Reply to @accessgirl:

Great advice.

Reply to @accessgirl: Great analysis! I feel like that is how they came to be. Also, I feel like being a fiverr seller in the early days pays off for them now, because I think the fiverr economy inflated a bit. One guy offers 200 for $5, then another offers 300 for $5, then it kept going till people offer 1,000 for $5 (I’ve seen this, and I can’t imagine coming up with 1,000 words about random topics without it sounding like the inner mind of a rambling fool.)

bigmish said: I can't imagine coming up with 1,000 words about random topics without it sounding like the inner mind of a rambling fool.)
=))

That's why I don't sell writing gigs.....that's how ALL my writing efforts would sound!

Reply to @bigmish: "…One guy offers 200 for $5, then another offers 300 for $5, then it kept going till people offer 1,000 for $5…"

Race to the bottom! lol. There are writers offering low prices. Usually it’s a lot of spun content, fluff, and gibberish. Buyers know this. If they’re trying to get content for their Made for Adsense website that they couldn’t care less about, perfect! On the other hand, if they need quality content, they’re happy to pay for it. Don’t undervalue yourself as a writer.

I think you’re talented. Your competition is not the “writers” selling articles at 1000 words for $5.

Reply to @typingservice: I’m trying out a slightly lowered word count. I’m going for 400 instead of 500. I can always go back if I need to. Plus my gig extra of 800 words looks a lot better in comparison.

Also, thanks for the complement! I try :slight_smile:

I had 53 orders in the queue this week. Even at 200 words a pop, that was hell. Not a moment to breathe. I’ve cancelled 25 in the last two days due to illness sadly.

My advice for you, add a little arrogance to your gig. Just a tad. People will believe you’re talented if you do.

Reply to @joethorn: Lol, add a little arrogance. I like that, I might try it. :wink: Sorry your not feeling good, hope you get better soon. :slight_smile:

I don’t write articles. But I’m going to try out a lower word count in July, and test the waters. I can manage my word count fine (but I’ve also got long-ass lead times…), but I want to see if lowering it will make any difference. shrug

As far as who is a “real” writer, that’s up for the buyers to judge.

Reply to @celticmoon:

Ha! I’d feel that way doing what you do. If I tried to knit, it would look less artsy and more like my cat hocked up a yarn-y hairball. And, I don’t even own a cat!

I’ve been debating that myself for awhile now. I have yet to move it. I started a new gig recently that reflects a lower word count. I actually had a long-time buyer tell me that lowering the word count could actually be more beneficial. And, I agree… but I worry about what my long-term established clients would think (not this client persay).

I will say it’s nice to get feedback from a client, as it would affect him too. Course, after nearly 100 transactions with this client, I don’t see him as just a client anymore. So, it’s quite helpful…

Good luck!

Reply to @emeraldawnn:

Same. I figure if the clients really do like your work they will pay up anyway. But maybe that’s me being too optimistic?

Reply to @joethorn: 53 orders? That’s amazing!

I did a thread when I first started asking why you would/wouldn’t buy my gigs based on the descriptions and such, and the first thing that was mentioned was that they were too arrogant, actually! I consider it selling myself, but I mellowed them out substantially anyway. It’s hard to find the right balance between understating your abilities and sounding obnoxious.

Anyway, hang in there. I hope I get to the point where I have 53 orders in one week! Nice job, hope you feel better. :slight_smile:

Reply to @bigmish: Sounds good! :slight_smile:

Reply to @edwriter: I don’t think that’s too optimistic–people are willing to pay for quality, especially when they get it consistently and without any drama or trouble.

Reply to @emeraldawnn: Hey, we do similar gigs. When did you see your gigs pick up in business? I get about 1 order a day or so, but that isn’t that much. So how long did it take you before the orders started rolling in? What caused it?