How to promote your self outside of Fiverr?

Hey Fiverr friends,

Long story short, I tried to find the thread regarding tips/how best to promote yourself outside of Fiverr. I’m not looking to promote myself anytime soon, but I love prep myself well before I launch anything. This way, when I do I can do it the most intelligent and effective way possible. I remember seeing the Facebook pages, and blog in the thread… but that’s it. If anyone know’s which one I’m referring to link me! It would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

With that said: I’m more concerned as to what IS allowed and is a violation of Fiverr’s Terms.

For example their terms say: “Staying out of trouble: To protect our users’ privacy, user identities should be kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, Skype/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details (Other than your name) is not permitted.”

…but then I see users encouraged to share/promote ourselves though social media. Or, I’ll see users gig’s on the front page where in the gig title say “Skype” and are promoting work done through Skype. I’m not trying to get anyone in trouble, I’m just a little confused.

I want to promote myself (down the road) but I don’t want to do anything that’s against Fiverr’s terms. I just don’t understand how creating a Facebook page, or anything of that sort, that features of ways for folks to make contact with you outside is allowed, when they don’t want personal contact to be made anywhere else besides on Fiverr?

Question for any users:

If you promote yourself outside of Fiverr:

What do you do?

What do you use?

Did promoting yourself help your sales in a major way?

What would be your best tips for first time self-promoters?

Thanks for any comments and tips in advanced!

I think that as long as you work hard on Fiverr and create great work, word will get out and you will do well. I haven’t promoted myself outside of the site and have lots of orders flowing in every day.

You can do what you want outside of Fiverr. They have NO control over what you do. Fiverr just don’t want you to drive customers/users from Facebook to outside sources. It is okay to drive traffic from social media, blogs, youtube, etc. I have a capture page for my top-selling gig, so I collect visitors email addresses first before sending them to fiverr. That way, I can send emails to everyone on my mailing. Based on my website’s traffic statistics, most of my traffic comes from Craigslist (where I post ads). You need to find out where your targeted audience hang out online, then engage, not spam. :wink:

@musiclover Your insight is great, thanks! Yeah, I’m not looking to spam anyone! I literally haven’t done anything outside to promote myself. I just want to gather information so when I ever decide to do it or not. :-*

@alliemadison12 Thanks girl! :slight_smile: Thats also the way I see it but I’m very business oriented. Even if it’s just one landing page I might create one for the outside modeling, castings I do. You know, like business card for Fiverr. I seen they offered some with a 50% discount with a QR code that goes directly to your profile. I thought that was really cool, so I’m going to keep that in mind if I every do any promotions.

Reply to @thepromogirl: Yeah, I’m sure you’re pretty busy right now and don’t need to promote because the nature of your gigs are popular. The fiverr cards are cute, but the qr code for your profile is kind of pointless because Fiverr isn’t optimized for mobile devices. Its best to create a landing page with a responsive design, so you won’t lose the opportunity to get an order due to the poor navigation from mobile devices. Plus, when people go to your gig, and have to sign up, they get taken away from your gig to do so. They’ll either get distracted by other gigs or have to keep clicking “back” to go back to your gig page.

Reply to @musiclover: That’s strange! So why would they even offer a QR when Fiverr isn’t optimized for mobile? Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate all your thoughts! :slight_smile:

I used social profiles and sometimes I’ve got some orders from Pinterest and Facebook.

Reply to @thepromogirl: There are a lot of companies that misuse qr codes. Linking qr codes to regular websites will still load, but it will be hard for buyers to navigate through the site, order, and send files. Fiverr is really behind when it comes to mobile technology. You’re welcome. I’m always here to help.