Fiverr Forum

How to sell anything?

I’ve watched a video a couple of days ago entitled ,How to sell anything" (pretty viral, maybe you’ve seen it) , it’s a guy who’s giving 1 2 3 tips on how to be a successful seller but the advice that really caught my attention was to target his emotional side and then he posts the ,Sell me this pen" scene from The Wolf of Wallstreet, great scene, great acting and very manipulative, true, but then reality comes and gives you a wake up smack. It doesn’t always work like that. Techniques? Enthusiastic about your product, positive attitude, ,make him say yes", emotional manipulation ( this is the most effective one btw ) - they’re great but it all comes down to ,Does he REALLY want to buy your product?" , I know from experience that when he really and I mean REALLY wants to spend his money on a product, you can be the most boring, negative grumpy seller, and he will still give you his cash and on the flip side, you can be the perfect seller in the world, if he doesn’t want to buy from you 'drumrolls" … he won’t.

3 Likes

On this platform, I agree with some of what you’re saying. Outside of this platform, I tend to disagree.

Now, you said a lot, so I’m going to try to speak to all of it.
Yes I’ve seen the video and he’s doing a lot of ‘manipulation’ for sure.
Now let me spin this another way, because we ALL do this, constantly.

When you were a kid and wanted a piece of candy, you broke out your sales pitch. Sometimes you won, sometimes you didn’t. The fact is, when ANY 2 or more people are talking about ANYTHING, there is a sale going on. For instance, you are selling us on your thoughts here and I am mine. Any interaction, there is some level of selling going on, even when people don’t say a word.

Now after 30 years of sales and marketing, I’ve learned how to NOT SELL. And that takes a lot of practice and patience.

I’ve made a cold call to a guy that was hanging up on me, before I could say hello. By the end of our conversation, he spend $20k [b2b sales] on a one call close. He did not have his buying britches on that day, but I sold him.

Now to the moral implications, it’s simple really.
If you believe that your product is of value to your client, you have a moral obligation to do everything you can, to make sure they purchase that product. For example, I have a software, that I know for a fact, will increase my markets revenue by 10% - 30%. For every $1 they give me, they get around $10 in return. It’s a perfect win/win. When I get to talking to someone in that industry, I feel OBLIGATED to make sure they clearly understand what I have to offer. If I don’t sell that person, I failed them. It’s definitely a perspective thing.

Maybe on this platform they get on a ‘gotta buy it’ bender and the rest don’t matter [that can happen once in awhile anywhere]. But if you have good copy and the other guy selling the same product has poor copy, the guy with good copy will win more often than not.

Words Sell!

You’ve just sold something.

@OP You can say the same thing the other way around. One can have a horrible product and sell thousands whilst someone with a truly good product doesn’t know how to market it.

1 Like

even if it’s a no, it’s a sale
the guy saying no won the sale

1 Like

WOW!

You can make those strings do magic!

@nicolaevici1 you are a very talented musician man.

Sorry I didn’t listen to your stuff earlier.

1 Like

First of all, thank you, glad you like my playing :slight_smile:

In my opinion, at the end of the day, it all comes down to the client, if he really and I emphasise the word ,really" wants to give his hard earn money to you/product. Because if I (and I’m pretty sure most people think the same) REALLY want to buy something, wether it’s an app, tech gear, car etc. I can care less if the seller or entrepreneur is crappy, grumpy and un-enthusiastic, just give me the product, I’ll pay you the money, goodbye.

On the other side, if you need to use manipulative tactics and stay on the phone 30 min with the buyer, being enthusiastic and trying to make him believe that your product is worth it, you are a-ok, your job is done, but the client is confused, he doesn’t know if he wants to buy your product, he didn’t knew even before talking to you.

And 90% of the time after the conversation is done, he will say either that he will think about it or he will give you a straight no, not because of your fault, I repeat, you did your part, but because he is and was confused from the very beginning.

Conclusion: Does he really REALLY want it or is he a confused mess even though you did your entrepreneurial moves? Only the buyer will know.

First of all, why are you taking it personally? I didn’t even said that entrepreneurs who try to convince clients to buy their products are shady, at least not all of them, why do you attack yourself? Hmmm :wink:

Anyway, I’m not either positive or negative about this, I’m just expressing MY opinion about something that I’ve experienced myself, you come up all personal, good for you if your business is working, I wouldn’t care less to be honest.

Learn to listen an opinion in a neutral state, don’t take it personal.

The emotional angle is for amateurs. There’s only two things which sell. One of them is too adult to mention here. The other is masonic/Illuminati subliminally implanted numerology.

Scatter some random 33 percents and subliminal mentions of bikinis everywhere, and you can sell Dodo steaks to vegans.

Hugs and Cuddles???

1 Like

Yes. The special kind which exist between birds and bees. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think key is to really find out the customers needs. They don’t just come out and say all of the details that will ensure your ability to match them with the best product. You have to ask them the right questions, once you really know their needs, its easy to sell\produce.

I mention this because I have family members who are top sales in their company, and they don’t do any of the emotional manipulation kind of stuff. They insist that all of the top sales professionals they’ve worked with made every effort to find the customers needs.

The other reason I mention it is because it translates perfectly to working on fiverr where customer satisfaction is based on the exact same thing.

I always ask a million questions to find out all of the additional helpful information about the customers needs. Which might have something to do with why I’ve never had someone message me and not order from me, unless I told them specifically “no I’m not the best person for that job” and tried to help them find the right person too. Similar to how my top sales professional family members have succeeded in retail, which I’m only now making that connection.

1 Like

Jay Abraham is amazing at sales through service, which is what you’re speaking of.

The best salespeople and businesses in the world focus on the clients, their problems and the benefit they gain from your product or service. The other 90%+ of the world talks about , their company, their services or solutions and how much you have to pay them.

Features Tell
Benefits Sell

1 Like

The problem with this approach on Fiverr, is that sellers need to factor in the discovery phase of identifying a customer’s needs into their pricing. If I can write a sales copy for $20, that price does not include any kind of customer consultation. The gig itself is targeted at buyers who know what they want and know how to articulate this in 1 or 2 messages.

In the real world, yes, of course, a professional sales person will spend a lot more time discovering a client’s needs. In that case, though, you are talking about much higher value orders being at stake.

On Fiverr, the important thing to remember is that a significant number of buyers aren’t the end users of material which you will be providing for them. They are resellers. Ones who are likely adding an 80% to 100% markup on work. Worse, many amateur resellers simply can’t articulate their own clients brief, no matter how extensive a consultation a seller is prepared to give them FOC.

Fiverr is all about time and product quality. If you can deliver high-quality services, you will get more interest in your gigs. More interest means that there simply isn’t always the time to hold every buyer’s hand. For the sake of maximizing workflow and productivity, it is, therefore, essential to weed out needy buyers, so you can focus on buyers whom already know what they want and how they want it.

If a buyer messages me saying: “I need a video.” Or “I need content for my website.” I simply say I can’t help.

If a buyer messages me saying: “I sell X, this is my website, do you think you can write X amount of words for our homepage?” I usually reply in the affirmative.

If I didn’t water out the buyers who can’t articulate what they need, I would be taking on lower value orders and spending at least 50% more time on each.

Of course, all this changes if you offer services at a much higher price tier. As it stands, though, lengthy discovery conversations for orders at $5 - $50 price points simply aren’t worth the trouble.

2 Likes

Your comment reminds me of the idea that there are only two things that ‘motivate’ a human.
Pain
Pleasure

We run from pain or fear, pain can manifest in a lot of ways.
We run towards pleasure, also a lot of forms.

If you think about it, that causes a person to take ANY action, boils down to these two things.

That’s a very good point. I’ve been thinking about what’s going to happen when I have so much business that I have a difficulty in putting in the effort for communication.

I think I’d rather go the direction of higher value orders than sacrifice the quality gained by a discovery phase.

1 Like

You don’t necessarily sacrifice quality when a client provides you with all the information you could possibly require in the first place. My most lucrative writing sales at present, come from a site where there is zero client/seller communication. I simply get provided with a list of jobs available every day and choose which I want to accept.

The buyer instructions there are concise, clear, and contain everything I could ever need to know. Conversely, many times when I have engaged in in-depth discovery with clients on Fiverr, problems have still arisen later down the line. - Fiverr buyers are simply a different breed of animals. Thankfully, ramping up prices does seem to deter the most troublesome/needy ones.

1 Like

Read again, but don’t come back to me with another novel, go practice your successful business instead :wink:

Handbags at twenty paces please ladies.

1 Like

handbags

i’m the one on the left