How to sell the copyright?

avrora

Signing a paper would mean sharing your personal contact information with the buyer, and that’s a violation of the Terms of Service, unless you have obtained the permission from Customer Support.

The Terms of Service state that, once the buyer pays and the sale is complete, he gets all the rights, unless otherwise specified in your gig description.

I thought that copyright is transferred only if you choose “commercial use” on the gig. If not, buyer only get it for noncommercial use. Or do I have always mantion whether I agree or not commercial use. Otherwise, why do we need this “commercial use” button? And how could I sign paper when I work distantly?

I thought that copyright is transferred only if you choose “commercial use” on the gig. If not, buyer only get it for noncommercial use. Or do I have always mantion whether I agree or not commercial use. Otherwise, why do we need this “commercial use” button? And how could I sign paper when I work distantly?

copyright is transferred only if you choose “commercial use” on the gig. If not, buyer only get it for noncommercial use.

According to the Terms of Service, it’s the opposite. (Not all gig categories even have an option for a commercial use extra.) If you don’t list an extra for Commercial Use or mention that copyright costs more in the gig description, the buyer automatically gets ALL rights. That would include commercial, resale, re-use and so on. The seller retains NO rights unless it is specified on the gig page somewhere.

As far as signing a paper, if a buyer wants you to do some sort of electronic signature by reading their “contract” sent via attachment and putting your Fiverr username on it to show that you agree, it’s up to you if you want to do so. If they insist on you providing your legal name or any other personal information, you can decline and just give them a statement via attachment or order messages that tells them what rights they get upon completion of the order.

copyright is transferred only if you choose “commercial use” on the gig. If not, buyer only get it for noncommercial use.

According to the Terms of Service, it’s the opposite. (Not all gig categories even have an option for a commercial use extra.) If you don’t list an extra for Commercial Use or mention that copyright costs more in the gig description, the buyer automatically gets ALL rights. That would include commercial, resale, re-use and so on. The seller retains NO rights unless it is specified on the gig page somewhere.

As far as signing a paper, if a buyer wants you to do some sort of electronic signature by reading their “contract” sent via attachment and putting your Fiverr username on it to show that you agree, it’s up to you if you want to do so. If they insist on you providing your legal name or any other personal information, you can decline and just give them a statement via attachment or order messages that tells them what rights they get upon completion of the order.

Well that’s weird. As we have on fiverr the choose to include “commercial use” in order details. Why do we even need if all the rights go right to the buyer if other not mentioned in the gig?

Well that’s weird. As we have on fiverr the choose to include “commercial use” in order details. Why do we even need if all the rights go right to the buyer if other not mentioned in the gig?

we have on fiverr the choose to include “commercial use” in order details. Why do we even need

As I mentioned, not all categories even have that extra. IMO we don’t need that extra at all, but some people love it. It just gives you more choices. You can choose not to mention copyright and the buyer gets all, you can choose to use the extra that affects only commercial rights, or you can choose to just specify in your gig exactly what rights you offer.

For example, some sellers offer all rights but state that they retain the right to show in work in their personal portfolio on their own website. They charge extra if the buyer does not want it shown. There are dozens of ways you can use or not use copyrights. Remember, most of them would be nearly impossible to actually enforce anyway, much of it is on the honor system after the deal is done.

we have on fiverr the choose to include “commercial use” in order details. Why do we even need

As I mentioned, not all categories even have that extra. IMO we don’t need that extra at all, but some people love it. It just gives you more choices. You can choose not to mention copyright and the buyer gets all, you can choose to use the extra that affects only commercial rights, or you can choose to just specify in your gig exactly what rights you offer.

For example, some sellers offer all rights but state that they retain the right to show in work in their personal portfolio on their own website. They charge extra if the buyer does not want it shown. There are dozens of ways you can use or not use copyrights. Remember, most of them would be nearly impossible to actually enforce anyway, much of it is on the honor system after the deal is done.

It says here:

"On the Fiverr platform, buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work, unless otherwise specified by the seller on their Gig page.

Note: Some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for commercial use.

This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights to the delivered work without purchasing the Extra. If you intend to use it for business purposes, you will need to buy the Extra. Fiverr retains the right to use all published delivered works for Fiverr marketing and promotion purposes. If you have more questions, visit our complete Terms of Service."

So I can understand it as if I charge an Extra for commercial use, then buyer have no rights to use it for commercial before payed for the extra. And if I do not charge an extra for commercial and do not mantion in te gig that I don’t sell it for commercial use, buyer then get’s the rights for commercial use. ?

It says here:

"On the Fiverr platform, buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work, unless otherwise specified by the seller on their Gig page.

Note: Some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for commercial use.

This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights to the delivered work without purchasing the Extra. If you intend to use it for business purposes, you will need to buy the Extra. Fiverr retains the right to use all published delivered works for Fiverr marketing and promotion purposes. If you have more questions, visit our complete Terms of Service."

So I can understand it as if I charge an Extra for commercial use, then buyer have no rights to use it for commercial before payed for the extra. And if I do not charge an extra for commercial and do not mantion in te gig that I don’t sell it for commercial use, buyer then get’s the rights for commercial use. ?

if I charge an Extra for commercial use, then buyer have no rights to use it for commercial before payed for the extra. And if I do not charge an extra for commercial and do not mantion in te gig that I don’t sell it for commercial use, buyer then get’s the rights for commercial use

That’s right. If you do use the extra and they don’t buy it, technically they shouldn’t use it commercially.

If you don’t charge extra or mention copyright exceptions on your gig page, “buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work” as stated in the excerpt you quoted. (All rights would include commercial and everything else.) Spot on.

Buyer can send you a PDF document to sign, you can print it, sign the printed document, scan the signed document, and send the scan to the buyer.

Or you can show the relevant part of the Terms of Service to the buyer, and tell him/her that you are not going to sign any papers.

When buyers ask me if I’d accept to sign a NDA or a contract or anything, I politely inform them that I’m not going to do that, and advise them to search for sellers who have stated in their gig descriptions that they had obtained the permission from the Customer Support to sign NDAs.

Also if sign the paper digitaly then I have to have digital tablet or smth? If I don’t how could this be possible, or if I do that’s sounds strange to me anyway.

@avora This is one reason that it’s difficult to really protect anything in a serious way via anonymous online sales. It’s legally ambiguous. However, even the IRS in the USA allow people to type their names on a tax document and that’s considered an electronic signature.

If you state to a buyer that you are authorizing a particular right or agreeing to an NDA and that your username typed on the document is your electronic signature, it’s up to the buyer to decide if that’s enough. As @catwriter said, you can decline or sign by scan. You can really handle it any way you want to. Fiverr considers sellers the owners of their own freelance business and Fiverr is just the platform. There is no way to guarantee much when dealing with global law but good sellers honor the agreements they make.

I have not mentioned this before on any posts, but one of the many reasons I use a site like Fiverr is because of the rights/copyright issue already being taken care of.

If I buy something, I own the rights to it, UNLESS otherwise agreed upon (as already discussed here).

The “default setting” is - I own the rights. This is a BIG deal to me. Using Fiverr gives me proof (should I need it) that I have the right to use what I bought wherever I choose to use it.

If this was not the case, I would not use this site, or any other site like it - for anything. The risk would be too great. I don’t think many people understand the risks involved, or maybe they just don’t take them too seriously? 😐

Archived