How to talk to buyers who doesn't read description

careerplus

Hey @careerplus, I wouldn’t fret too much about how to approach the situation, and here’s why:

Once you’ve laid things out clearly in your gig, there’s nothing else you can do for Buyers who don’t take the time to read it - or worse, ignore it and try to manipulate you into doing extra work.

What’s key here is making sure you have a strategy for dealing with the issue quickly and getting back on track with your workload. The most important factor here is preserving your own time.

Hi Jane !

Let me introduce myself so you know that I am not speaking out of thin air - I am Anshuman a seasoned (6+yrs of exp) Business Management Pro and currently working with consultants across industries & geographies like IT, Automobiles, Retail etc…

Coming to your question - I did read very good replies from others in the community about Customizing an offer impromptu , Cancelling the Order… etc…
No body likes Bad Reviews and an angry customer - while since, you are running a business, you do not want to waste - Time = Money of either party. So, you need to balance between the both.
If majority of your customers point out that you have a False Advertising - it simply points to one Major Action Item - FIX YOUR AD !!
Now dont get me wrong - You are definitely an Accomplished Seller with over 900 satisfied customers with dazzling reviews - but The online Marketplace does work a bit differently than a proper Brick n Mortar Business.

So, use Keywords, Use Bullets, Use Highlights, Use Bold Letters, Use Capitalization - Now this is the limit of Fiverr’s Palette as of now.

Dont give unnecessary information Overload of what your capabilities are - Instead Address Customer’s Problem Statements (Generic ones) which Are Right on Target for your Offering !!

That should reduce the number of complaints regarding your Service Ads.
As for customizing a package - On a long term perspective - A business man/woman, would lose more of her time and effort and the ROI on that spent resource would not even compare to if you have a standard package with excellent ads and keyword targeting.

You would ask, then Cancellation is an option - Right ? Here, again I would say - No- because, you never know what Huge potential Customer you are denying your service to and losing him to your competition.

So, dont cancel, not unless the requirement is drastically wayward from your offerings… Just Fix your Ad and Offering Highlights !

Would love to hear your views on it !!
Have a great day !

There will always be some that will not read the description, just imagining in their head what they will receive (just had one today), no matter how well explained, in bold and highlighted, plus reminded in the instructions to get started. That’s part of the business. If I sense that the buyer genuinely needs help, maybe his/her English is not too good, I help if possible and take the risk of a negative review (which has happened a couple of times), but all in all, it works out well. In business you have to take risks! 🙂

Depending on the request/expectation I usually try to accommodate them. I view my basic $5 Gigs™ as 15 minutes worth of my time. If I can accomplish what the new buyer is wanting, somewhat within that window, I’ll try to provide it. I’m only a Level 2 seller, and have only been working on Fiverr® for a few months, so I still view my position as a brand building growth period. Customer service, and repeat client retention is paramount… it builds my portfolio, and each positive review helps new business.

My advice is to measure the time you’ll allow yourself to work on a $5 Gig™, keeping in mind the benefit for a valuable repeat client, and try to do as much within that time window to help them out… obviously communicating with them what the $5 Gig™ entails, and which Gig™ extras would be appropriate for them.

In situations like this, I keep in mind that a successful/satisfied client will likely tell their peers about the experience in their lives; and that Fiverr® as a platform is growing and gaining popularity in new markets. That means that first time Fiverr® buyers don’t necessarily know what to expect (after all, the advert they’ve heard probably says everything’s $5).

I’m pretty new to fiverr myself (about 2 months now) and also still figuring out how to cope with several “problems”. The one mentioned by you happened to me before several times. There are some customers ordering my service without reading what I actually offer.
So for example ordering to translate a document from german to english.
As it happens I’m only translating english to german and not vice versa and my gig mentions this several times.

As for all difficulties a good communication with the customer is everything. The thing that’s working for me is contacting the customer who made the “false” order and kindly explain, that this is not what I’m offering. That I’m offering only english to german translation for a reason and that’s because I’m a native german speaker and not an english native speaker. I want to provide best and professional results.
And then I offer them mutual cancellation.

So far, this approach always worked out very good for me. Be kind, don’t blame them and they will come back to you with other orders, and that time the right ones.
This happened to me twice, that I could generate orders by people who on the first attempt ordered wrong.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the time you invest for this (usually it doesn’t take me longer than 5 minutes to answer and offer cancellation). It’s a good investment if those customers later come back to you with other orders (that even can exceed the 5$ by far).

However, there will always be people who simply don’t want to read, that are diffcult to handle and always searching a fly in the ointment.
Being a seller you will always have to challenge that, and if you’re a good one, you will do it successfully! 🙂

Archived