How to write a gig description [ARCHIVED]

palabara

Hey everyone,

I’ve been hanging out on the forums, and learning from others as I was growing myself and now that, I feel I’ve achieved a steady footing. I want to give some back and give some tips on how to write a gig description.

When I first started on Fiverr writing a gig description was really hard… You don’t know what to say or how to say it. Always seems like its a challenge to find the right words or seem inciting enough. I’ve developed my own system of writing a gig and I’ll break it down, and hopefully it will help some of you 🙂

You’re allowed 1200 characters for your gig description my advice is use as much of it as you can! A good gig description tells a lot about the seller, it shows how well you introduce and explain your gigs as well as how much effort you put into them.

The way I write my gig consist of 3 parts can break them down into the (head, body, and feet) I’ll break down each one in detail.

So we open with a starting paragraph. Which is the head, the way I like to think about it this is your starting pitch assuming people don’t read from the middle start reading from the top… I like to open my gigs with a sales pitch… get the people exciting a little bit. So I introduce it with a sentence description… For example (I will do this and this for you… followed by the purpose of it… such as you can share it, post it, show it etc… I implant seeds of thought to get the people thinking in terms of utility.) As they think about the opening pitch we we go into the.

Body.

The body of the description gives the technical details… what are you getting for your money? for $5 you will get this and that and this… So there is no surprises… Feel free to list your extras here to say what you will do for additional charges. The idea is after you’ve given your sales pitch you give the people the technical because after someone is “interested”. They would like to know well how much, and what do I get and boom you got it covered.

Finally from the body we go down to the feet.

Here I put down the final bottom line… Check out my other gigs, let me know if you have any questions, I offer guarantees, Ask me about custom order, contact me, contact me, contact me. I cannot stress it enough… A buyer might walk away if you do not present him with a welcome mat. Encourage the buyer to reach out to you… Most business occurs through conversion. If you have anything else you want to add that is not sales pitch or technical specification that can also go down in the feet of the description.

As I’ve stated above use all your characters.

Use bold and highlighter but don’t use caps. use keywords in your description, repeat them and use other keywords if related in the description within a sentence, don’t just throw keywords implement them.

Don’t sound needy in your description be bold, direct, and to the point. Use humor, make people smile and put in your personality… People like to deal with friendly people.

Take your time to write a description, don’t rush it. Write it in word, or on piece of paper read it out loud, before typing it in. Your description is your 1st impression, before the buyer knows who you are they know your description. WHEN they scroll LOWER they see your feedback if any, but before that your 1st impression is based on your description.

I hope that new people will find this helpful, and its very possible to get a solid footing here on Fiverr. Buyers don’t rain from the sky, so when they do land on your gig you want to make sure that your description is up to par!

Good Luck!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are very welcome, you have a neat gig, but keep in mind that. You need to work hard, in order to obtain buyers, by self promoting, and reaching out. If you opened a business, like a physical one, you would advertise it, and display it and do what it takes to get the word out about your location. Fiverr is no different, you can’t wait for people to stumble upon your gig, you need to go after to the people. Being proactive. I for example spend a lot of time on here, adding gigs, changing gigs, advertising my services, talking to clients, etc… its constant amount of work. The best way to go about it is, asking yourself have I done all I could today to advance myself? and into the next day and so on and so forth 🙂

There are no standard rules, some people write like an ad, others like a human being, others do a combination of both. Some overpromise, underpromise, etc.

I like to see how others do it and then I might borrow a line or an expression but never the whole thing. After all, anyone can say Satisfaction Guaranteed Or Your Money Back, that’s a public domain expression.

Informative. One can be brief and capture all the necessary details, or one can also be expressive and be just as effective. This sometimes may come down to the gig category and of course, how you choose to lay it out.

Bottomline - Clarity, simplicity and accuracy are key.

Regards,
Speedy876

Archived