How would you deal with this buyer?

juliapla

This is what happened: a buyer order some 3D models, I sent him pictures and videos in every step of the process to make sure everything was fine and make some adjustments if needed. He said everything was perfect all the time and told me to deliver it. Turns out that he was working for someone out of Fiverr and he didn’t ask for his approval at any moment. I didn’t include revisions in the order, but he asked for one because the person he was working for didn’t like the result. I did the revision and delivered. Then he came with a new revision which include many new things, literally making the whole order again but as a revision. I rejected to do so, because I did my work and my buyer was happy with the result but now he’s not because he’s own buyer out of fiverr, which is not my responsability, is not happy with the result, as he was not shown any of the process pictures and videos so he was not able to give his feedback. Now he wants to cancel the order and wants his money back, I’ve contacted CS and sent them many screenshots of the buyer saying everything is fine and is ready to deliver. I’d like to hear your opinion and experiences, what would you suggest me to do in this kind of situation? Is there any chance that Fiverr agrees with sellers or do they buyers always win?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on how many revisions are offered in your Gig. I see that you currently have 4 for basic, 6 for standard and even UNLIMITED revisions on your final premium package of the 3D modeling Gig.

Unlimited revisions are open to interpretation that you will work indefinitely until your buyer is satisfied in your premium package and some buyers can exploit that by also wanting extra work.

I would offer a maximum of 1 or 2 revisions in your place - if you don’t want to work forever for free.

It depends on how many revisions are offered in your Gig. I see that you currently have 4 for basic, 6 for standard and even UNLIMITED revisions on your final premium package of the 3D modeling Gig.

Unlimited revisions are open to interpretation that you will work indefinitely until your buyer is satisfied in your premium package and some buyers can exploit that by also wanting extra work.

I would offer a maximum of 1 or 2 revisions in your place - if you don’t want to work forever for free.

it’s a custom offer, I don’t use the gig packages

IDK what CS will do but if the buyer never stated there was a problem then I wouldn’t even have done the first revision. The buyer never told you this was for another client and you have no obligation to that client.

IDK what CS will do but if the buyer never stated there was a problem then I wouldn’t even have done the first revision. The buyer never told you this was for another client and you have no obligation to that client.

Look at this thing he said when requested the first revision: “Hi, Julia! Just went on with the guy I am doing the project for and he asked me to tell you the following: (…) Looks good to me, but my friend would like more from it.”

He admited the delivery was fine for him but is the other person, who is not on Fiverr, who doesn’t like it.

Even though I have plenty of evidence, I’m worried that Fiverr may not take us sellers seriously

That’s a really difficult one - so sorry you’re going through this.

On the basis that you were specific in your offer and have delivered per description, I’d be inclined to indicate to the buyer that your contract is with him, not his buyer. I’d also outline the fee the extras he’s asking for will incur. Be polite but firm.

@frank_d is probably the best person to advise on this - if he has the time and is so inclined. Customer journey is something he is very keen on - if he’s available and inclined to help, take everything he says on board, even if you don’t agree with it.

Wait for him to respond here - don’t bother him privately.

That’s a really difficult one - so sorry you’re going through this.

On the basis that you were specific in your offer and have delivered per description, I’d be inclined to indicate to the buyer that your contract is with him, not his buyer. I’d also outline the fee the extras he’s asking for will incur. Be polite but firm.

@frank_d is probably the best person to advise on this - if he has the time and is so inclined. Customer journey is something he is very keen on - if he’s available and inclined to help, take everything he says on board, even if you don’t agree with it.

Wait for him to respond here - don’t bother him privately.

I told him that I made everything acording to his indications and I fulfilled all his expectations, if he was working for someone and didn’t ask for his opinion, that is not my fault because as you say, my buyer is this person on Fiverr. He’s not asking for extras, he’s asking for making the order again but I did my job and I deserve the payment for what I’ve been working for weeks. Even though he’s willing to pay more, I’m not oblied to make the order again if I did my job, I just want the money for what I did and he also threatened with not giving 5 stars, I don’t mind about the stars as long as he completes the order (which he’s not going to do) but you get the idea of what kind of buyer he is.

Thanks for your comment, I hope he can help me 🙂

Thank you, it’s nice to hear that

Hi Julia, i recommend to everyone to read the “Terms of Use” i know no one read this, but this help me before. Some months ago a buyer said that liked of my work, but in the end he start to open a lot of revisions and after that tried to cancel. So i delivered again and just said to him like:

“You can’t cancel based on quality, as you said before, you liked the project… when you use the Fiverr Plataform you agrre with the Terms of Use”

THE MAIN TOPICS to help you:

• Requesting to gain more services from Sellers beyond the agreed requirements by using the Request Revisions button is not allowed.

• Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the Seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig Page. Buyers may rate their experience with the Seller on the Order Page, including the overall level of service quality received.

• Buyers who abuse the Request Revisions button to gain more services from Sellers beyond the agreed requirements.

• Buyers who threaten to leave a damaging review to gain more services from the Seller not related to the agreed requirements.

I hope that this can help you, if your buyer doesn’t accept your work you can send again the material and wait for the automatically close after 3 days. If the buyer accept and give you a bad review, you can contact the support and explain and the Fiverr will remove the bad review, as the buyer infringe the Terms of Use.

I told him that I made everything acording to his indications and I fulfilled all his expectations, if he was working for someone and didn’t ask for his opinion, that is not my fault because as you say, my buyer is this person on Fiverr. He’s not asking for extras, he’s asking for making the order again but I did my job and I deserve the payment for what I’ve been working for weeks. Even though he’s willing to pay more, I’m not oblied to make the order again if I did my job, I just want the money for what I did and he also threatened with not giving 5 stars, I don’t mind about the stars as long as he completes the order (which he’s not going to do) but you get the idea of what kind of buyer he is.

Thanks for your comment, I hope he can help me 🙂

As long as you delivered and he has requested an official revision, in other words the orders is tagged as a revision the order will be marked completed in 3 days anyway, might as well just wait it out. If he is threatening the rating let him, remember you get to review him also. I know many frown upon lambasting clients but you may have to do so in a professional manner if the buyer decides to go that route.

Hi Julia, i recommend to everyone to read the “Terms of Use” i know no one read this, but this help me before. Some months ago a buyer said that liked of my work, but in the end he start to open a lot of revisions and after that tried to cancel. So i delivered again and just said to him like:

“You can’t cancel based on quality, as you said before, you liked the project… when you use the Fiverr Plataform you agrre with the Terms of Use”

THE MAIN TOPICS to help you:

• Requesting to gain more services from Sellers beyond the agreed requirements by using the Request Revisions button is not allowed.

• Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the Seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig Page. Buyers may rate their experience with the Seller on the Order Page, including the overall level of service quality received.

• Buyers who abuse the Request Revisions button to gain more services from Sellers beyond the agreed requirements.

• Buyers who threaten to leave a damaging review to gain more services from the Seller not related to the agreed requirements.

I hope that this can help you, if your buyer doesn’t accept your work you can send again the material and wait for the automatically close after 3 days. If the buyer accept and give you a bad review, you can contact the support and explain and the Fiverr will remove the bad review, as the buyer infringe the Terms of Use.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful, I’ve just sent that to him and waiting for an answer. I hope he realises he is infringing the terms of use. Regarding the 3 days, I sent the revision and he requested another one because he was aware that the order would be mark as completed otherwise, so I don’t think I have that option.

As long as you delivered and he has requested an official revision, in other words the orders is tagged as a revision the order will be marked completed in 3 days anyway, might as well just wait it out. If he is threatening the rating let him, remember you get to review him also. I know many frown upon lambasting clients but you may have to do so in a professional manner if the buyer decides to go that route.

I delivered a revision and then he requested another one, so the order is currently in revision and therefore, if I’m correct, can’t be marked as completed automatically. On top of that the order is now “late”, though I delivered many days ago

Thank you so much! This is really helpful, I’ve just sent that to him and waiting for an answer. I hope he realises he is infringing the terms of use. Regarding the 3 days, I sent the revision and he requested another one because he was aware that the order would be mark as completed otherwise, so I don’t think I have that option.

he has just replied “we shall see” and nothing more, not willing to accept he’s wrong

I delivered a revision and then he requested another one, so the order is currently in revision and therefore, if I’m correct, can’t be marked as completed automatically. On top of that the order is now “late”, though I delivered many days ago

Then make sure you reach our to CS right away so when this buyer tries to lie Cs won’t be that inclined to believe them.

Hey @juliapla

I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough situation with your buyer.

It’s always frustrating having to deal with this sort of thing.

If you want my advice, you shouldn’t antagonize them by simply pasting ToS and giving them a dead-end.

It’s also important to not pass blame to them, by telling them it’s their fault. Even if it is.

ToS are open to interpretation and CS will most likely instruct you to figure it out and find a solution by talking to your buyer.

You have a very limited set of moves here from my POV.

You need to stand your ground and make sure it is clearly communicated that you did as agreed upon and that they signed off on every step of the process. Be polite and compassionate. Your buyer could be someone who meant well but never thought things all the way through. It’s possibly the first time they did this.

That being said, you also need to offer a solution.

Do not present them with an ultimatum. But you need to lead the conversation, don’t be passive.

Offer them a do-over, make sure you explain why this is a do-over and not a revision.

Offer a discounted rate and ask for more time if you need it.

In all probability your buyer is a reasonable human being who now needs to face the music on their end: risk losing their client or pay out of pocket to fix things.

Then make sure you reach our to CS right away so when this buyer tries to lie Cs won’t be that inclined to believe them.

We both contacted CS yesterday, but I’ve sent them many screenshots and evidence, I hope they can solve this but I’m still worried just because I think sellers are more vulnerable here than buyers

Hey @juliapla

I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough situation with your buyer.

If you want my advice, you shouldn’t antagonize them by simply pasting ToS and giving them a dead-end.

It’s also important to not pass blame to them, by telling them it’s their fault. Even if it is.

ToS are open to interpretation and CS will most likely instruct you to figure it out and find a solution by talking to your buyer.

You need to stand your ground and make sure it is clearly communicated that you did as agreed upon and that they signed off on every step of the process. Be polite and compassionate. Your buyer could be someone who meant well but never thought things all the way through. It’s possibly the first time they did this.

Do not present them with an ultimatum. But you need to lead the conversation, don’t be passive.

Offer them a do-over, make sure you explain why this is a do-over and not a revision.

In all probability your buyer is a reasonable human being who now needs to face the music on their end: risk losing their client or pay out of pocket to fix things.

⬆️

This, Julia - don’t argue. Take a long slow breath. Think about what @frank_d suggested … and then do it.

A do-over will get you paid twice … and getting it sorted will mean you can contact CS to tell them you’ve sorted it out with your buyer - extra brownie points.

Hey @juliapla

I tried to make him understand the situation many times before sending him the ToS, but he just wants me to make everything again or cancel, is not a reasonable person. He even told me, in a very rude way, to stop talking and let CS solve the issue. It’s not even his first time, in fact we did another order together, that wasn’t a bad experience, though he expected free changes to the model after accepting the deliver, and when I refused he said my work wasn’t that good even after he has said many times, even now, that my work is very proffesional. I shouldn’t have taken another order with him, but I did and this is the result… i’ve literaly tried to reason with him in every way.

Thank you so much for your answer and advice 🙂

⬆️

This, Julia - don’t argue. Take a long slow breath. Think about what @frank_d suggested … and then do it.

A do-over will get you paid twice … and getting it sorted will mean you can contact CS to tell them you’ve sorted it out with your buyer - extra brownie points.

But the thing is that he doesn’t want to accept this order and make a new one, he wants it done as a revision

I tried to make him understand the situation many times before sending him the ToS, but he just wants me to make everything again or cancel, is not a reasonable person. He even told me, in a very rude way, to stop talking and let CS solve the issue. It’s not even his first time, in fact we did another order together, that wasn’t a bad experience, though he expected free changes to the model after accepting the deliver, and when I refused he said my work wasn’t that good even after he has said many times, even now, that my work is very proffesional. I shouldn’t have taken another order with him, but I did and this is the result… i’ve literaly tried to reason with him in every way.

Thank you so much for your answer and advice 🙂

I missed that part of the story to be honest.

OK so it seems like there is a pattern here and your buyer most likely knows that they can get their way since it worked last time.

So now you have an even more limited set of moves.

You need to either refund them or be OK with whatever review they will leave you after the order is accepted.

Having customer support involved will only complicate things, as they are tasked with resolving things as quickly as possible.

If both of you opened a ticket then CS will either get confused, will make a snap judgement or side with the buyer to keep the money rolling.

Even if they agree with you, best case scenario is that they will tell you to keep delivering and won’t cancel it for you.

So you need an out and at the same time, you want to do some damage control.

Is the line of communication still open and is the buyer friendly?

I missed that part of the story to be honest.

OK so it seems like there is a pattern here and your buyer most likely knows that they can get their way since it worked last time.

So now you have an even more limited set of moves.

You need to either refund them or be OK with whatever review they will leave you after the order is accepted.

Having customer support involved will only complicate things, as they are tasked with resolving things as quickly as possible.

If both of you opened a ticket then CS will either get confused, will make a snap judgement or side with the buyer to keep the money rolling.

Even if they agree with you, best case scenario is that they will tell you to keep delivering and won’t cancel it for you.

So you need an out and at the same time, you want to do some damage control.

Is the line of communication still open and is the buyer friendly?

I mean, he gladly accepted the order last time, I got the money, he just wanted free work later, I said no and it ended there, this time is different because he doesn’t want to accept. I don’t mind having a bad review, in fact I would be very happy with a bad review because that would imply he has accepted the order and I’ve been paid for my hard work, but he’s not willing to accept the order. He’s not friendly, this is the last thing he said “Man, LEAVE THIS DAMN CHAT ALONE, PLEASE!!! CS will take care of it.” and I’ve always been polite.

OK seems like you have antagonized him enough, he appears to be confident in his decision to call in CS and have them cancel the order.

Looks like you don’t have any moves to make but that’s OK since you are only interested in getting your money.

All you can do is wait for CS to respond to your ticket, hopefully sooner than they get to his.

You could also keep delivering the files -do not deliver without the files uploaded- and with the same message of “here are the files you signed off on. I am available to discuss a fair rate for the re-do your client requested “.

Do not fight with them. And only re-deliver once a day. Don’t spam the order page.

Also when talking to CS, don’t add to the overall frustration.

Let them know honestly that you did what your buyer asked for and delivered as advertised .

Don’t assign blame or escalate things on your end.

This will play out soon enough.

Hope everything works out!

Archived