Fiverr Community Forum

Hunting on Level 2

I am a level 2 seller, and I am recently finding that buyers contact me more and more only to haggle about the price.

They click on my gig - specify their jobs and then ask me ‘to give my best rate’ or reduce my stated gig prices. Hello? The gig prices are there for a reason?

I don’t think I am overpriced for a level 2 seller. I honestly ask my ‘best’ prices already - shouldn’t it be ‘what you see is what you get’? I suppose I won’t rant if it happened occasionally - but really … every single message recently?

All that I can think is that buyers WANT Level 2 service, but they are not prepared to PAY for it.

Please, guys, there are loads of sellers in the writing genre. Determine your budget beforehand and contact sellers in that price range. It is only fair.

I’ve worked hard to get here. I ask reasonable prices. In fact, with me, you’ll get more than pay for. It is very frustrating to get the clicks, but then lose the job because of the ‘price.’ You should check my gigs from the beginning!

Rant over!

26 Likes

You have probably heard this before but you should raise your prices. If this kind of thing already irritates you, then you are primed to take the next step in Fiverr.

Even raising your prices $10-$20 will help eliminate buyers who haggle. It will elevate your presence and you will probably get better buyers with bigger budgets. You have some status with being a Level 2 seller!

Also, if you aspire to be a TRS then raising your prices will bring better sellers who spend more and will get you to that level! I raised my prices 2 times as a level 2 seller and it totally changed the buyers. I had to say goodbye to some but HELLO TO OTHERS!

6 Likes

Hi Helen,
It’s your right to increase rates as per your rank. We are advised not to compromise on rates to become TRS(Top Rated Sellers). However, see, the rates should not be that high that you feel the buyers are not approaching you. Just bargain with patience and professionalism, and if feel, the buyer is ready to pay reasonable price, just go ahead.
All the best!
Thanks

1 Like

This might sound like I’m smug but what I tell clients who ask for “better” rates is that I charge based on the quality and amount of work I put in as well as the value of the product/service they get out of me. If they insist then I politely state their project isn’t for me.

I am in the writing space myself and the amount of people that want to start a blog at a budget is quite large. I get where they’re coming from but at the same time unique content writing isn’t cheap.

6 Likes

Thanks! I am going to ‘steal’ your reply!

2 Likes

Helena, I have $5 prices for many gigs and people still want a lower rate. So… there will always be people trying to squeeze as much value as possible for the lowest amount of money. Either ignore them, or just tell them that your prices are fixed. It might require to tell them a few more times.

In my case, either they place an order for the price I ask… or they just leave. Regardless, it works for me.

4 Likes

Yep, I also noticed that recently it got much more people trying to negotiate prices with me. Just a few days ago I got 5 messages in a row asking me for almost a 50% discount.
I get it that it’s pandemic and a lot of businesses are suffering. However right now I make discounts only to my returning clients who was easy to work with and for the rest I just stand firm and send the message along the lines “my prices already discounted exclusively on fiverr and I discounted them even more at the beginning of pandemic”.

I used to explain all that to my clients, that it’s quality and value they are getting and all other reasonable things. But I found it’s easier and less arguments if I just tell them that my prices already heavily discounted.

6 Likes

I’ve been a level 2 seller for a few years now. Like you, my prices are fair.

I don’t offer any discount and if anyone tries to haggle then I politely and concisely explain that they are paying for my skills and experience along with the reassurance that comes from consistent five star feedback over seven years.

If they agree with me, then I’m usually happy to go and ahead and work with them. If they still try and haggle for a discount I tell them to find someone else to work with.

I’m just not desperate enough to consider working with people that don’t value my time and skills.

8 Likes

Honestly, it doesn’t take much time out of my day to give them my reply. It’s a canned response I give to any requests for discounts. Further haggling just leads to my final refusal and that’s pretty much it. I feel this is a way to encourage them to find someone else that fits their budget/needs.

Telling them your prices are discounted seems like a good option as well if it gets them to stop faster.

3 Likes

More often than not, I find that hagglers come from countries/cultures where haggling is the norm. I lived in China for 7 years and unless I was in a mall shop, pretty much every vendor expected haggling. So, I don’t feel in some cases it’s about looking for someone to take advantage of but rather a habit.

4 Likes

I find that to be a tad contradictory. I think the professional way is to have your prices set and stick to it. Plain and simple.

That’s something I was told over and over again before going to Thailand, that’s almost rude not to haggle.

And that was by far my least favorite thing there. When you genuinely want to know something’s price and they ask how much you want to pay.

I’m afraid I never really got into it and would just give up or give preference for shops that would have their prices clearly displayed.

Also I feel that haggling over a service (specially with the provider) shouldn’t really be a thing.

8 Likes

I am there with you. Being aware of this, however, is important when it comes to communicating with buyers and being professional. Not everyone is out to low-balls us and knowing this can help keep stress levels in check :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree to a certain extent, however many of my clients are from Western / European countries where haggling is not the norm.

I’m just not interested in entering into discussion over my price. Either they pay or they don’t.

1 Like

Tbh, I don’t mind re-exploring rates in certain scenarios i.e., if I have already written something for a buyer and they need a revised version with slight modifications, etc as long as the new rates are reasonable from my end as well.

But these rude “give me your best price / do it for $___ or else / I got better offers” hagglers really test my patience. I just send them packing nowadays. Kind of reminds me of a very typical vexed Indian teacher dialogue - “Is this a school or a fish market?”

Like @yannisenglish mentioned, maybe it is a habit for certain people. In that case, I guess they’ve take the ‘marketplace’ part of Fiverr’s identity to heart. Ah well.

3 Likes

I`m facing same issues. most of time my gig rank but due to this my gig de-rank again :slight_smile:

Hey English_Voice,
That’s pretty good that you have made your standards in price and budgeting as level 2. Obviously, it’s your right to demand as high as your skill is. At times, we come across buyers who value our work, skill and experience however, many are such as don’t bother about the pains the sellers take to finish their projects.
Good luck to your never-ending success.
Thanks.
Naheedmir

Hey @helenabester, my friend - long time no speak!

I have absolutely the same experience that you do, as far as “gnat” clients buzzing in my ear, tossing out half my stated rate like it’s some kind of favor. I used to second-guess myself constantly, worrying that anything less than giving in would mean I’d never get work.

Then I hit about 100 reviews and realized that I didn’t have to give in. I was good. More than half my clients were repeat clients, and at least 1 in 10 was a referral from a previous client, and that had to mean something. Now I’m cruising towards 500 reviews and I’ve made a few things standard practice:

I start at x. If my base gig is for, say, 100 words, I’m not going to write 50 words just so someone can pay half price because that works with their budget. Think about it - it’s ludicrous. If they have the need to hire a skilled freelancer for their business and balk at the cost of a nice lunch out, then they aren’t ready to hire a skilled freelancer. I don’t play with nickel and dime stuff anymore - that $15 or $20 base rate is the price of admission for yours truly. Whether you need 10 words or that standard 100 words, you’re paying the base rate.

I do not enter my content into the client’s site/store interface directly. They get a word document, they can cut and paste it where it needs to go. I am kind but firm on this - I almost had a woman make off with $300 of work because she locked me out of her Shopify interface the second I was done and tried to cancel the order here on Fiverr. A form letter on intent to file DMCA notices on her site and ISP changed her tune, but I learned a valuable lesson that day - documents only.

I do not exchange more than five back-and-forth lines in a message without asking them directly if they want to order off of my gig page, or if they want me to send an offer. Way, way, way too many time wasters on this site who want free ad hoc business consultation, or want to get 20+ messages deep only to act shocked that my rate is X, when it’s clearly shown on the damn page they contacted me through.

ANY permutation of “I’m a startup / can’t you just / money is tight / can I get a discount / etc.” gets a kind word and an end to the conversation. “I certainly understand how difficult budgets can be, particularly for a start up. You may not be aware, but I am a level 2 seller, which means my work costs more because of my experience. It sounds like you need a level 1, or maybe a beginner writer - there are some excellent ones here on Fiverr that I’m sure could help you. Thanks so much for your interest, and best of luck to your business!” - we’re not negotiating, I don’t have to justify my prices to anyone, and I have nothing to apologize for. I’m not mad, I’m just done with this conversation and I’m on to people that pay me what I charge, the end.

The trick is to plant your feet and don’t let them budge you. Do not be afraid to end the conversation if they aren’t “getting it.” Don’t leave them any room - e.g. “Well, I wish I could but I…XYZ” - they will IMMEDIATELY treat XYZ as a challenge to be solved/circumvented rather than the denial it is. I am declining this project, as we are not a good fit for one another - no hard feelings, but I do need to get back to work now - good luck!

4 Likes

If they insist then I politely state their project isn’t for me.

@thatwordchick

Hey! It is so great to hear from you. Thanks for your absolutely great reply. I am going to print it out and use all your wording in my future correspondence. :smiley:

Even after three years here, I think THIS is still my problem. Why do I do it to myself? I AM GOOD, too.

Can I hire you as my life coach? :heart: :smiley:

1 Like

Higher level badge and prices don’t mean that the haggling will (completely) stop, by the way … only standing your ground will help … and making good use of canned replies (I too often forget I have one for pretty much any specific occasion already…) makes it less time-consuming.