I am Not a Secretary

webtelly

Writing press releases and articles for people on Fiverr has been fun. More than 9 out of 10 people are thrilled with the work they get. Every once in a while, what I write goes right over the buyer’s head. They complain for reasons that don’t even make sense. But the type of buyer that really gets me, and I have to laugh now, because I don’t always laugh when I first open my inbox; is the buyer who sends back a one-page document with over half the page covered in red. Now, I can understand someone wanting some minor changes. I can understand someone being a perfectionist. But to pay $5 to have someone write 500 words, 100 of which you are going to freely change just for the creative heck of it, smacks of something else. It smells of ego.

My first thought when someone says, “Not a bad start” is that they woke up that morning, saw a banner ad for Fiverr, and said to themselves, “Ah, there’s my secretarial pool. There’s my personal assistant. There are my employees that I am either too cheap or too poor to hire myself.” Part of it is my fault. When I see someone important-looking asking for one of my press releases, I assume that they have read my reviews, and want the product that is being advertised. I have to remind myself from time to time that some people are just looking for a typist.

If this is the case with you, get an virtual assistant. There are plenty of them on Fiverr. There are tons of people doing secretarial type work on this site. Don’t hire a professional writer, one that does press releases for a living, to type up your hare brain scheme that you are only going to re-write yourself. An order modification is just that… minor changes, not a complete revision. Sorry, buyers, just trying to educate you.

Thanks for listening.

At the end of the day you are offering a professional press release for $10 and you are

offering that service to users. Users expect that “professional” press release to be perfect so its your job to make sure you understand the undertaking / order before its accepted.

Yes - people do take the p*** sometimes but you either suck it up or ship out :).

If you are getting the odd “pain”, I would increase your press release price again as I have seen your work / profile and clearly you know your stuff.

Gl to you

Archived