I am Off to a Slow Start in May--Here is What I'm DOING About It

jcmcbride

I only have one order in my queue. I have not had as many conversations as I usually do. It looks like my impressions, clicks, and views are down as well. Is it Fiverr’s fault? I don’t know. It doesn’t really matter. I eat what I kill. I have been self-employed for over 15 years.

There are always peaks and troughs in any business. It is my responsibility to find enough paying work to support my family. Here is what I am doing during my current work slow down to get the money flowing again:

1. I will be adding two new gigs over the weekend. This gives me more chances to connect with clients.
  2. I will be shortening my deliver times on my existing gigs. This will help me show up in more searches.My typical turnaround is 7 days for most of my gigs. That is slower than most in my category. It’s fine when I’m busy, but when orders slow down its time to shorten my turnaround.
  3. I am going to visit my contacts section on Fiverr. You can sort the data by how much buyers have paid you. I am messaging the clients that have spent the most money with me to let them know that I am taking an extended vacation in June (I am very excited for the break) and that if they have projects they want me to work on they need to get their orders in sooner rather than later.
  4. I am contacting my clients that I work with from my own site to let them know the same thing.
  5. I am going to run another Facebook ad campaign for my Fiverr gigs. I have only run one and had disappointing results. But, I have learned from my mistakes and am going to try again.
  6. I am spending more time working on some of my other income streams, trying to boost them to make up for my slower than usual May earnings.
  7. I am sending out cold messages to prospects that I believe I can help to try and get more income outside of Fiverr

April was above average for me. I have a little cushion. I also realize that is it still early in May and my numbers may bounce back. That is what usually happens.

But, I have survived as a business owner and freelancer because I refuse to just sit and wait for work to come to me. I can’t worry about things I have no control over. I cannot force people on Fiverr to hire me. I can control how hard I work to market my work.

Your mileage may vary. But, I have found that when my income from Fiverr slows down, if I make some changes and reach out to my repeat customers, I am usually able to right the ship. I am also realistic enough to know that it is best to have more than one income stream.

If you are struggling on Fiverr, I hope this post can give you some inspiration on what actions you can take to boost your income.

I only have one order in my queue. I have not had as many conversations as I usually do. It looks like my impressions, clicks, and views are down as well. Is it Fiverr’s fault? I don’t know. It doesn’t really matter. I eat what I kill. I have been self-employed for over 15 years.

There are always peaks and troughs in any business. It is my responsibility to find enough paying work to support my family. Here is what I am doing during my current work slow down to get the money flowing again:

1. I will be adding two new gigs over the weekend. This gives me more chances to connect with clients.
  2. I will be shortening my deliver times on my existing gigs. This will help me show up in more searches.My typical turnaround is 7 days for most of my gigs. That is slower than most in my category. It’s fine when I’m busy, but when orders slow down its time to shorten my turnaround.
  3. I am going to visit my contacts section on Fiverr. You can sort the data by how much buyers have paid you. I am messaging the clients that have spent the most money with me to let them know that I am taking an extended vacation in June (I am very excited for the break) and that if they have projects they want me to work on they need to get their orders in sooner rather than later.
  4. I am contacting my clients that I work with from my own site to let them know the same thing.
  5. I am going to run another Facebook ad campaign for my Fiverr gigs. I have only run one and had disappointing results. But, I have learned from my mistakes and am going to try again.
  6. I am spending more time working on some of my other income streams, trying to boost them to make up for my slower than usual May earnings.
  7. I am sending out cold messages to prospects that I believe I can help to try and get more income outside of Fiverr

April was above average for me. I have a little cushion. I also realize that is it still early in May and my numbers may bounce back. That is what usually happens.

But, I have survived as a business owner and freelancer because I refuse to just sit and wait for work to come to me. I can’t worry about things I have no control over. I cannot force people on Fiverr to hire me. I can control how hard I work to market my work.

Your mileage may vary. But, I have found that when my income from Fiverr slows down, if I make some changes and reach out to my repeat customers, I am usually able to right the ship. I am also realistic enough to know that it is best to have more than one income stream.

If you are struggling on Fiverr, I hope this post can give you some inspiration on what actions you can take to boost your income.

My personal experience has shown me that immediately after a really great month, comes a slump in sales. That’s not random at all.

I had an incredible April, followed by almost a week of 0 sales and just 1-2 messages.

I am convinced that the system is currently designed to spot when you have too many sales in queue and when prospects are being turned down -inbox inquiries that don’t turn into sales- and you get benched for a bit until conversion picks up your queue clears out.

EDIT: Solid tips and great POV @jcmcbride !

My personal experience has shown me that immediately after a really great month, comes a slump in sales. That’s not random at all.

I had an incredible April, followed by almost a week of 0 sales and just 1-2 messages.

I am convinced that the system is currently designed to spot when you have too many sales in queue and when prospects are being turned down -inbox inquiries that don’t turn into sales- and you get benched for a bit until conversion picks up your queue clears out.

I am convinced that the system is currently designed to spot when you have too many sales

Same here. I noticed since the beginning of February that when we start to really do well the system punishes us.

I am convinced that the system is currently designed to spot when you have too many sales in queue and when prospects are being turned down -inbox inquiries that don’t turn into sales

It’s not too many sales in queue etc., it’s simply you earned too much money too fast. Someone on fiverr thinks that means you are somehow taking sales away from the others who are beneath you.

Someone is charged with the task of figuring out how to improve sales for new sellers and Pro sellers, and the way they think that can happen is to stop the sales of the best sellers.

I am convinced that the system is currently designed to spot when you have too many sales in queue and when prospects are being turned down -inbox inquiries that don’t turn into sales

It’s not too many sales in queue etc., it’s simply you earned too much money too fast. Someone on fiverr thinks that means you are somehow taking sales away from the others who are beneath you.

Someone is charged with the task of figuring out how to improve sales for new sellers and Pro sellers, and the way they think that can happen is to stop the sales of the best sellers.

Actually it’s a bit more automated/complicated than that.

There’s an algorithm that checks:

-how many messages are turned into sales

-how many orders in queue

-how big those orders are in terms of $$$

-how long it takes to deliver

-how many times a revision is requested

-how many of those orders are closed by the buyer leaving a review

-how many of those reviews are positive

When the system detects that you have so many orders that delivering/order completion takes long (not longer, just long), your gigs get temporarily benched

I noticed since the beginning of February that when we start to really do well the system punishes us.

That’s interesting. I have enjoyed steady revenues for the past nine months. But, my number of orders has fallen sharply since February. The difference was I had several very large projects.

It seems like Fiverr would maximize their revenues by driving traffic to gigs/sellers that have high conversion rates, higher prices, and a strong history of great reviews.

If what @frank_d is describing is how the algorithm currently works, that would fit with what I have seen. I have had fewer orders because my bigger projects have taken a longer time. I have also turned down several offers from my messages because they were not the right fit for my skills or price range.

In the past I have noticed a correlation between getting a 5-star review and getting new orders. But, for me that correlation has been much weaker since February.

But, since I can’t control the Fiverr algorithm, I’m not going to worry too much about it. It seems like the best way to maintain regular income on the platform is to develop a set of loyal, regular buyers, and to learn how to drive your own traffic.

I noticed since the beginning of February that when we start to really do well the system punishes us.

That’s interesting. I have enjoyed steady revenues for the past nine months. But, my number of orders has fallen sharply since February. The difference was I had several very large projects.

It seems like Fiverr would maximize their revenues by driving traffic to gigs/sellers that have high conversion rates, higher prices, and a strong history of great reviews.

If what @frank_d is describing is how the algorithm currently works, that would fit with what I have seen. I have had fewer orders because my bigger projects have taken a longer time. I have also turned down several offers from my messages because they were not the right fit for my skills or price range.

In the past I have noticed a correlation between getting a 5-star review and getting new orders. But, for me that correlation has been much weaker since February.

But, since I can’t control the Fiverr algorithm, I’m not going to worry too much about it. It seems like the best way to maintain regular income on the platform is to develop a set of loyal, regular buyers, and to learn how to drive your own traffic.

Let me put it this way:

Fiverr loves efficiency.

And by efficiency, I mean the sooner the $$ clears, the better.

So while big ticket items translate to a higher profit, risk also goes up and time till clearance is also considerably higher.

Again, you did not hear this from me, but Fiverr likes small/medium sized orders with snappy delivery and an even snappier acceptance by the buyer.

Let me put it this way:

Fiverr loves efficiency.

So while big ticket items translate to a higher profit, risk also goes up and time till clearance is also considerably higher.

Again, you did not hear this from me, but Fiverr likes small/medium sized orders with snappy delivery and an even snappier acceptance by the buyer.

Fiverr likes small/medium sized orders

I get large orders which make my sales stop. What would be a medium sized order? $40? It seems like a big order would cause an increase but it does the opposite.

Let me put it this way:

Fiverr loves efficiency.

I don’t agree - I can’t see Fiverr being anything but happy with higher ticket sales.

In terms of efficiency, I do think delivering ahead of time is valued highly.

As my average price goes up, so does my busyness, so does my income - all the while, I get more new-to-me client messages than I used to get. Its been growing that way for around 6 months and has probably/possibly been helped by the badge since March.

Then again, who knows - things can change just as soon as we think we have a handle on things 😃 We could both be right depending on the day.

I get limited to only two orders at a time usually since the beginning of March. My gigs get only shown in Malaysia. My prices are the same since the beginning of January but somehow it made me be penalized. I know I’m one of the top five earners in the category. So somehow I must be doing something wrong.

@frank_d

Personally for me, holding no level, this has been one of my best months.
I’ve always been selling higher priced gigs. My gigs are search ‘featured’ and I am always responding to inquires within 3-5 minutes. (Within my work time online)

Don’t forget, I don’t sell alot of gigs, I sell higher priced, goal driven and longer delivery projects.
Fiverr seems to like that.

@frank_d

Personally for me, holding no level, this has been one of my best months.

I’ve always been selling higher priced gigs. My gigs are search ‘featured’ and I am always responding to inquires within 3-5 minutes. (Within my work time online)

Don’t forget, I don’t sell alot of gigs, I sell higher priced, goal driven and longer delivery projects.

Fiverr seems to like that.

Do you get limited usually to no more than two orders at a time? I never deliver late, never get chargebacks, never give refunds or have cancellations, so I have no idea why fiverr acts like I can’t be trusted with several orders at a time.

It’s like they see I have $500 worth of orders in only two orders and think that they need to limit some kind of risk. Maybe it’s due to the category I’m in, but it’s counterproductive to both me and fiverr.

I don’t agree - I can’t see Fiverr being anything but happy with higher ticket sales.

In terms of efficiency, I do think delivering ahead of time is valued highly.

As my average price goes up, so does my busyness, so does my income - all the while, I get more new-to-me client messages than I used to get. Its been growing that way for around 6 months and has probably/possibly been helped by the badge since March.

Then again, who knows - things can change just as soon as we think we have a handle on things 😃 We could both be right depending on the day.

My personal experience differs.

I’m talking about projects in the 4 digits that take about a little over a month to complete when taking into account revisions and all.

Again it only happens to me when I am actually overwhelmed.

As soon as that happens inquiries and orders from new prospects/buyers slow down and only regulars message me.

Coincidence?

Do you get limited usually to no more than two orders at a time? I never deliver late, never get chargebacks, never give refunds or have cancellations, so I have no idea why fiverr acts like I can’t be trusted with several orders at a time.

It’s like they see I have $500 worth of orders in only two orders and think that they need to limit some kind of risk. Maybe it’s due to the category I’m in, but it’s counterproductive to both me and fiverr.

At a time? I’m not sure what that means but I guess yes. All higher priced. They require a longer delivery period - and lots of communication.

Fiverr see’s that the project takes time and is worth money, hence they feel proud to prominently feature the service.

I don’t mean to boast. But the system is really intuitive. And it’s in Fiverr’s best interest to pair buyers with sellers that deliver.

My personal experience differs.

I’m talking about projects in the 4 digits that take about a little over a month to complete when taking into account revisions and all.

Again it only happens to me when I am actually overwhelmed.

As soon as that happens inquiries and orders from new prospects/buyers slow down and only regulars message me.

Coincidence?

I’m talking about projects in the 4 digits that take about a little over a month to complete when taking account revisions and all.

Fair enough, I am more talking about low to mid 3 figures. Not sure there are enough doing 4 digit gigs that we could really hear from others about it 😦 I think for most of us, there are probably Low, Medium, High where it is <$50, $50-150 and $150+. 4 figures dont come up very often as fitting that size order into one month is next to impossible for me.

Could it be that your conversion rate drops and therefore your positioning drops. I know when I am really busy, I won’t push clients to order or might tell them to hold back for a few days/week. Perhaps you do the same, even subconsciously.

Let me put it this way:

Fiverr loves efficiency.

Fiverr likes small/medium sized orders with snappy delivery and an even snappier acceptance by the buyer.

Interesting. it makes me sad to hear @misscrystal say her orders went down, starting in Feb. Inversely, my orders went up. Nothing against the amazing @misscrystal, but as she said her gigs are longer in delivery terms. My orders usually get delivered within 2-6 hours from the order being submitted because of how short they are. Yes, they are of smaller profit margin but they get ordered/delivered/completed within 6 hours (3-7 times per day).

Again, just throwing my info out there as what has happened on my end.

Fiverr likes small/medium sized orders with snappy delivery and an even snappier acceptance by the buyer.

Interesting. it makes me sad to hear @misscrystal say her orders went down, starting in Feb. Inversely, my orders went up. Nothing against the amazing @misscrystal, but as she said her gigs are longer in delivery terms. My orders usually get delivered within 2-6 hours from the order being submitted because of how short they are. Yes, they are of smaller profit margin but they get ordered/delivered/completed within 6 hours (3-7 times per day).

Again, just throwing my info out there as what has happened on my end.

My orders usually get delivered within 2-6 hours

This is good information, thanks. And thanks to everyone who is sharing info. We need more of this type of sharing of experiences.

I’m talking about projects in the 4 digits that take about a little over a month to complete when taking account revisions and all.

Fair enough, I am more talking about low to mid 3 figures. Not sure there are enough doing 4 digit gigs that we could really hear from others about it 😦 I think for most of us, there are probably Low, Medium, High where it is <$50, $50-150 and $150+. 4 figures dont come up very often as fitting that size order into one month is next to impossible for me.

Could it be that your conversion rate drops and therefore your positioning drops. I know when I am really busy, I won’t push clients to order or might tell them to hold back for a few days/week. Perhaps you do the same, even subconsciously.

Oh I absolutely do that.

I turn down complex projects, and when something good comes along, I ask them to wait for me to clear my schedule somewhat.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining.

As I said before it only happens for me when I am truly overbooked and so I accept how the system works.

I’m just sharing some insights as to how the system works.

Oh I absolutely do that.

I turn down complex projects, and when something good comes along, I ask them to wait for me to clear my schedule somewhat.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining.

As I said before it only happens for me when I am truly overbooked and so I accept how the system works.

I’m just sharing some insights as to how the system works.

It sounds like we are all just fumbling around in the dark. I understand that Fiverr cannot explain how its algorithms work exactly because then everyone would try and game them. But, some clear messaging about what they would like sellers to focus on would be nice.

I have gotten contradictory information from different people in the company about the best way to setup a gig and what the system is setup to reward. That’s why I just have to let go of anything related to the algorithm and focus on what I can control.

It sounds like we are all just fumbling around in the dark. I understand that Fiverr cannot explain how its algorithms work exactly because then everyone would try and game them. But, some clear messaging about what they would like sellers to focus on would be nice.

I have gotten contradictory information from different people in the company about the best way to setup a gig and what the system is setup to reward. That’s why I just have to let go of anything related to the algorithm and focus on what I can control.

It sounds like we are all just fumbling around in the dark

I prefer the term “writing hypotheses” but yeah, pretty much.

some clear messaging about what they would like sellers to focus on would be nice.

giphy.gif.fb1a663debde4f99076a17586170e68a.gif

Archived