I became a Level 2 Seller in 6 months, here is what you REALLY need to know

the_mad_duck

I am a bit delayed in announcing my level 2 success, and I wanted to share my tips for reaching that level. I received this ranking about 2 weeks ago, but was crammed with exams and didn’t bother to share.

1. I would first like to point out a common misconception: Social Media Advertising. Not useful, never was, unless your gig specifically involves social media. Even if you do get a customer from social media, they will likely be just curious and not actually care to spend money.

2. Start stupidly low and undersell yourself. They call it Fiverr for a reason. Start at $5, and you can build a reputation around people who are unwilling to spend money on more trusted sellers. From there, around maybe 20 reviews, bump it a bit. Good milestones to bump prices (not too high!) are 20 orders, 50 orders, 100 orders, and after that as you please without going too high and driving off competition.

3. Make your icon simple and readable. People always think that an icon that stands out a ton is the best way to go. The secret? Be the one icon that blends perfectly with the website. Literally copy the color code for Fiverr’s green (#1dbf73). Make a simple gig icon showing your profile picture enlarged, a large and readable description in the image icon, and lace it all around with Fiverr green.

4. Never go anywhere near the buyer requests. This is a time waste, and only stingy people looking for absurdly low prices for a ton of work use this section. Don’t even think of clicking it. Save yourself sanity and time.

5. When in doubt, keyword it out. What do you think people will type looking for services related to you? Think of what you should search for, even have friends look for your service and see what they type in.

6. Multiple gigs. Do you have a wide profession? Make gigs that cover that wideness. I have 2 current gigs that are highly selling, the 3rd seldom-seen and forgotten. Both are for music, but different people need different music. Appeal to everyone you can.

Lastly, this one is kind of stupid.

7. Be more chill. The most common demographic for Fiverr is young adults. You’re not going to receive orders from businessmen very high up (One of my common buyers literally uses “UwU” and “OwO” in his messages, I know.). You will always get orders from YouTubers, young entrepreneurs, content creators, etc. Don’t be crass or profane, but keep it chilled out. Nobody is going to like you if you use semicolons; semicolons scream sophistication and a stuck-up attitude. Level with the seller, and get a read on how they act and communicate. Mirror that personality, and make it seem like they are talking to themselves, but with talent.

8. Don’t do anything stupid. I don’t know what exactly to say to define that, but if it seems suspicious, don’t do it and consult this forum or TOS. There is always someone who’s been here longer than you that knows better. Always ask someone else if you have a problem. There’s a forum for a reason.

Cheers and good luck,
The_Mad_Duck

Edit: Had wrong color code. Fixed this time.

Interesting Mr Duck;

Sadly I am a fan; and user of; which does seem to put me at odds with; those who would assume that I am there to be their bestest bumbling beer bud breaking bad bull; when I am here to help their Song shine (and by association them).

One can only be what one is. Hipster doolally I am not.

Overall I agree. I do wonder at the Fiver clone Logo though. Simple and stylish I do get. I note that now you have a parrot duck which neither green; nor readable.

🙂

On 2/26/2021 at 9:54 AM, benedictrm said:

Interesting Mr Duck;

Sadly I am a fan; and user of; which does seem to put me at odds with; those who would assume that I am there to be their bestest bumbling beer bud breaking bad bull; when I am here to help their Song shine (and by association them).

One can only be what one is. Hipster doolally I am not.

Overall I agree. I do wonder at the Fiver clone Logo though. Simple and stylish I do get. I note that now you have a parrot duck which neither green; nor readable.

It is actually a mandarin duck, and it doesn’t hurt to stick out just a little bit, hence the tip of placing your profile picture enlarged on the gig icon.

Thank you for your post!
For the Buyer Request issue, I definitely understand where you’re coming from, but you can actually find some good buyers when you use discernment. My first buyers and reviews came from Buyer Requests, and they were all easy to work with because I put expectations up front.
As for the semicolon issue, I had not really thought of it being snobbish until now (more poetic and an easy way to avoid run-on sentences), and I’ll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you!

Just an odd occurence I found. Whenever I used a semicolon I had a lower order rate with buyers. Could just be superstition, not sure.

That is really odd. I mean what are the odds?

I have never had anyone call me a snob or stuck up for using any sort of punctuation. I write the way I write - never had any complaints. Maybe it is the audience or group you sell to that has an aversion to semicolons. 😸 Well, if it harms your ability to land them as a buyer, you gotta do what you gotta do, right!?!

GG

On 2/26/2021 at 10:49 AM, genuineguidance said:

That is really odd. I mean what are the odds?

I have never had anyone call me a snob or stuck up for using any sort of punctuation. I write the way I write - never had any complaints. Maybe it is the audience or group you sell to that has an aversion to semicolons. 😸 Well, if it harms your ability to land them as a buyer, you gotta do what you gotta do, right!?!

GG

Yeah, I enjoy them as well. I tend to put on a different face when communicating, because I normally appeal to young adults. Heck, they did a study that young adults find periods in text messages to be hostile. Odd people, huh?

Not to mention my ironic use of a semicolon there lmao

Yeah, I enjoy them as well. I tend to put on a different face when communicating, because I normally appeal to young adults. Heck, they did a study that young adults find periods in text messages to be hostile. Odd people, huh?

I think there is a segment of “young people” who can find something “hostile” in anything. They live to be offended and whine.

Obviously, not ALL young people are this way - but, there are enough of them.

OK, now you all can scream at me, “BOOMER!” That seems to be the insult I see often on social media when some older person gives their opinion. All I can say to that is, one day, kiddo, you too will be old and younger people will think you are “out of touch”. 😆

GG

I think there is a segment of “young people” who can find something “hostile” in anything. They live to be offended and whine.

Obviously, not ALL young people are this way - but, there are enough of them.

OK, now you all can scream at me, “BOOMER!” That seems to be the insult I see often on social media when some older person gives their opinion. All I can say to that is, one day, kiddo, you too will be old and younger people will think you are “out of touch”. 😆

GG

I’m 16 and already out of touch. I agree with you; the world is way too sensitive and if we took the time to stop complaining and “canceling” everyone maybe we wouldn’t have the issues we have today.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:59 AM, the_mad_duck said:

I’m 16 and already out of touch. I agree with you; the world is way too sensitive and if we took the time to stop complaining and “canceling” everyone maybe we wouldn’t have the issues we have today.

Well, first off, my hat is off to you being 16 and getting Level 2 here! Keep up the entrepreneurial spirit! Your parents must be proud of you! I know I would be!

GG 

Sources to make your tips more legit!

1: AKA, ‘Share on social media’ IS NOT the same as ‘create an established social media presence’.

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011292478-The-How-Tos-of-advertising-off-the-Fiverr-platform

2: I’ll admit I slightly disagree with this one, but only slightly. It is extremely competition and differentiation dependent. If you are literally the only person offering a service, you can set whatever price you find reasonable for your work.

. How to Up Your Prices Sensibly and Sustainably - UPYOUR

. For information │ Number of services available in most competitive categories │Top countries and share

. Stand Your Ground: Setting Boundaries as a Seller

3: Also something to keep in mind is that people browsing search results will likely never see more than a 24x24 pxl circle, only slightly bigger than an emoji. For more context, our icons show up here on the forum (desktop ver.) at 45x45, nearly twice the size. In general, don’t put ANY words in the profile image.

. What is the role of profile photo in your Fiverr success?

. The Downside of Using other People's Images for your Profile

4: Mostly agreed. Use to be different, but not now. (The only main good use, currently, is for keeping an eye on demand/trends. Though, can also be slightly decent reading comprehension practice as long as it’s seen as practice, aka ‘what NOT to do’.)

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360050062693-Tips-to-submit-an-effective-Buyer-Request?segment=buyer

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360015226518-Responding-to-Buyer-Requests

5: Critical thinking skills!

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011094958-SEO-tricks-for-gig-titles

6: Huh, I don’t think I have a supporting link for this one on hand. One addendum: ONLY offer what YOU can do, and know what is and is not permitted!

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011421218-Gig-Policies

7: Stay professional, but still have fun! (Read the room, meet the mood. If you find yourself dealing with a legal documents writer for example, then you might use some semicolons.)

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011421118-How-to-make-your-Fiverr-profile-stand-out

8: “When in doubt: DON’T” and “The answer’s ‘no’ until you ask.”

. www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service 

On 2/26/2021 at 11:12 AM, imagination7413 said:
Sources to make your tips more legit!

1: AKA, ‘Share on social media’ IS NOT the same as ‘create an established social media presence’.

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011292478-The-How-Tos-of-advertising-off-the-Fiverr-platform

2: I’ll admit I slightly disagree with this one, but only slightly. It is extremely competition and differentiation dependent. If you are literally the only person offering a service, you can set whatever price you find reasonable for your work.

. How to Up Your Prices Sensibly and Sustainably - UPYOUR

. For information │ Number of services available in most competitive categories │Top countries and share

. Stand Your Ground: Setting Boundaries as a Seller

3: Also something to keep in mind is that people browsing search results will likely never see more than a 24x24 pxl circle, only slightly bigger than an emoji. For more context, our icons show up here on the forum (desktop ver.) at 45x45, nearly twice the size. In general, don’t put ANY words in the profile image.

. What is the role of profile photo in your Fiverr success?

. The Downside of Using other People's Images for your Profile

4: Mostly agreed. Use to be different, but not now. (The only main good use, currently, is for keeping an eye on demand/trends. Though, can also be slightly decent reading comprehension practice as long as it’s seen as practice, aka ‘what NOT to do’.)

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360050062693-Tips-to-submit-an-effective-Buyer-Request?segment=buyer

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360015226518-Responding-to-Buyer-Requests

5: Critical thinking skills!

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011094958-SEO-tricks-for-gig-titles

6: Huh, I don’t think I have a supporting link for this one on hand. One addendum: ONLY offer what YOU can do, and know what is and is not permitted!

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011421218-Gig-Policies

7: Stay professional, but still have fun! (Read the room, meet the mood. If you find yourself dealing with a legal documents writer for example, then you might use some semicolons.)

. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011421118-How-to-make-your-Fiverr-profile-stand-out

8: “When in doubt: DON’T” and “The answer’s ‘no’ until you ask.”

. www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service

That’s actually quite helpful! For #4, I meant that if you know you have a wide audience, make different gigs with different keywords for each demographic.

Edit: Smooth brain grammar fixed. 

Excellent list of tips!

I’ve been here almost five years and freelancing since 2014 (full-time since 2016). I have written similar posts. You hit a few key points spot on.

Thanks for spreading the word.

Maybe some newbies who came here because an “expert” on YouTube said you could get rich, quick on Fiverr discovers the truth. 

A very good list of relevant tips - let’s hope some people take note!

All I would add is that there is nothing wrong with using punctuation. Many buyers like the confidence that comes with working with someone who can write well.

As a writer and proofreader of course I would say that. But there is a big difference in being able to write well - and coming across as a snob! One of my longterm clients really struggles with communication and they enjoy working with me because they know I can use language well, but I don’t patronise.

I would also suggest that there are many professional service areas on Fiverr - such as anything language based or to do with accountancy, architecture, or even being a virtual PA - where the ability to write well is essential in order to be seen as credible.

I do agree that there is nothing wrong with mirroring a buyer’s personality (just a little) when communicating (so long as it is appropriate). While in my experience those who practice neuro linguistic programming are pretentious types, there is some truth in the basic principles of NLP - which is basically adapt your persona in order to positively influence others to achieve the outcome you want.

Like your tips, but as a soon to be Level 2 seller (after 7 months) I disagree with two points:

**2. Start stupidly low and undersell yourself.
No need to undersell yourself. I mean, certainly don’t be yet another bottom-of-the-barrel seller with $5 gigs. You have value, and skill (hopefully) which are worth something to some buyers. Not every buyer is looking for cheap. It may attract better buyers, allowing you to reach the $2000 treshold required for Lvl 2 much quicker.

4. Never go anywhere near the buyer requests
Although most of it is crap, in the beginning I was able to secure one or two decent projects from them. Once you have some clients, you can safely ignore these requests, but it doesn’t hurt to check them every once in a while when you’re starting out.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, cc_animation said:

Like your tips, but as a soon to be Level 2 seller (after 7 months) I disagree with two points:

**2. Start stupidly low and undersell yourself.

No need to undersell yourself. I mean, certainly don’t be yet another bottom-of-the-barrel seller with $5 gigs. You have value, and skill (hopefully) which are worth something to some buyers. Not every buyer is looking for cheap. It may attract better buyers, allowing you to reach the $2000 treshold required for Lvl 2 much quicker.

4. Never go anywhere near the buyer requests

Although most of it is crap, in the beginning I was able to secure one or two decent projects from them. Once you have some clients, you can safely ignore these requests, but it doesn’t hurt to check them every once in a while when you’re starting out.

The reason I said to undersell at the beginning is specifically make yourself more appealing for people who just want the job done, and don’t care for quality as long as it’s cheap. The bottom-of-the-barrel is always the most potent.

Also, in regard to buyer requests, by the time you find one buyer that is decent, you’ve already wasted more time than you would earn back doing the project. 

I would add a small advice: building your own brand. If people don’t recognize you, how can you stand out of the masses? Means also having an important Homepage, or a Blog. Being recognized helps you stand out anywhere, also on Fiverr.

Perhaps, but I wouldn’t find it all that neccesary because Fiverr already makes a page for you as a seller, where you can display your interests, skills, and gigs.

On 2/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, hedayetsaadi556 said:

Then, how will a new comer get the first sale? Do buyer orders a gig that doesn’t have a single review where there are plenty of gigs with trustworthy reviews and ratings?

You must be patient as I did. Whenever I used the buyer requests I always ended up with psychos with an absurdly low budget. You would spend the same time waiting for an order as you would sorting through requests for a valid customer (At least in my field, maybe web design isn’t as bad about that). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 2:46 PM, hedayetsaadi556 said:

Field and seller location can be important factors in this regard. If you think about web design field, it’d be difficult to find a gig on the search result page that doesn’t have a review. So chances of getting an order is almost none.

The issue is the time wasted looking through buyer requests. Out of 50 sent, I got one customer’s attention, they asked for a sample (which I gave a good 15 seconds of in a low quality audio file, imagine uploading an .ogg file to soundcloud) and then ran with it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived