Fiverr Forum

I can speak English "Honestly"

I have had a few issues with understanding some of my clients. In their profile they say they can speak English, but communication is almost impossible as they really have a very basic skills regarding English language. I have one right now and however many times/different ways I explain my watermark will be removed on delivery they don’t understand.

What are peoples thoughts that Fiverr should have a basic test, if you say you speak another language other than your native language.

Lol, My English isn’t that great after reading through my above rant :slight_smile:

Hey, don’t worry, this is The Ranting Pot~ No grammar police allowed!

customisemytee said: What are peoples thoughts that Fiverr should have a basic test, if you say you speak another language other than your native language.

That probably enters some discriminatory or profiling area, Maybe you don't speak Spanish or French very well. But good enough to ask directions, order a meal or do some shopping. Should you be tested for a Spanish or French speaking web site?

Buyers should give Sellers a test of their own. Before purchase, write to the Buyer and ask a couple of simple, straight-forward questions and evaluate the response.

I have seen gigs with amazing work and have written to the Buyer. Some of the answers are the stuff great comedy movies are made of. If a Buyer is defensive, arrogant, a know-it-all or misses the mark. Test over.

The funny moment is when you get a message that you can’t understand, even a single sentence, then you look at the person’s flag and … it’s the american or english flag :).

I must find that blog!

It will fit nicely with my perusal of the annual Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest submissions, which celebrates purple prose. (E.G. Bulwer-Lytton wrote this over-wrought first line in a 19th century novel: “It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents, except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the house-tops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.”)

And I found another good writing contest recently: Bad Sex in Fiction Award. Sounds like deliciously awful reading…honestly!

:">

Eh. The world hasn’t stopped spinning yet. (:expressionless:

Negative — there are grammar snipers all over these parts.

On that note there are probably many with accounts that may believe they speak English but in reality its a choppy version they’ve put their names to. Its the same problem when people want to save money and go with article writers from places like India or other countries like it… yeah their willing to do a large portion of writing for the bare minim but the quality you are going to get will indeed show because the English their using is the supposed proper one found in generic text books. This is the same problem many run into when they just learned a language but they learned a clean version from some academic resource. The Spanish of Rosetta Stone will not be the same Spanish you will recognize in the street and English is no different.