Fiverr Forum

I did not know becoming a buyer would be so tough!

I’m new. No plans as a Seller and have been trying to become a Buyer, very unsuccessfully. The first few months after registering I spent a heap of time reading Gig offering, comments, ratings, etc. just vetting talent in my areas of interest.

I would be lying to say the Fiverr job didn’t catch my eye, and a driving force to register but I saw an opportunity to expand what I do by using talent from around the world – on line, from home.

Working with remote services and goods is a huge plus for me and Fiverr Gigs seemed to fit my current and future needs for growth.

The cost savings would mean I could afford to attract more work and thus pass on more Gigs. Most of what I’m looking for I have the training and experienced to accomplish, but I want to do more in less time. In the venue like Fiverr I think I have a good idea what I should expect to Pay, and Tip.

I’m not looking for cheap - NOT cheap work, NOT cheap price, but fair pricing for the venue we are in. The first gig with a seller, maybe an “inexpensive lost leader”. A safe “risk” for each of us, hoping to establish a good working (and pricing) relationship.

I have the potential for quite a few up to 4X Gigs and other Gigs I would expect the fair price would be higher. The Fiverr carrot worked on me, so I registered.

If I were to sort out a half dozen honest, fair priced “go-to” sellers for the work I need without constantly needing to absorb time(money) sorting out new talent, I would be happy to return for Gigs.

With that said, it seems I’m having a harder time than the average buyer becoming a buyer.

Let me explain my first two (only) experiences to date.

Experience One:

My first Fiverr, I did a “Post a Request” for some tech work. An impressive, eight very prompt answers. I had written a short, but distinct to the job description, basically in one sentence.

It seems seven of the eight responses did not clearly read the request. They offered gigs that were extremely vague. They seemed to be “generalists” to the discipline, and either did not see or understand the details.

This could lead to possible miss/communications/language challenges (and I don’t want to pay to teach someone or pay to have them practice on me).

Number Eight, very obviously read the detail and responded to the description. This indicated to me that the request was written correctly. They were plainly spoken and honest saying they have experience in the general area, but no experience (or training/certifications) regarding the details I requested.

I respect the honesty but they offered a 20times Gig. A 10times Gig would have been acceptable if the experience was there along with a fair tip for “job-well-done” and future gigs.

Experience Two:

I followed the sellers’ note to “In-Box before ordering”. Since the job would require some Gig Extras I was looking forward to using the pre-gig time to establish a good communication base.

I mentioned I have some time flexibility in this project and I did not expect an immediate answer but could work around their schedule (Level 2 putting out a job or two every couple of days and a few jobs in the queue).

A “flexible” 4 days went by with not even an acknowledgment like, “I’ll be back to you in 2 days”.

I “In Boxed” again asking for just an acknowledgment and a date when we could start communications. Now two more days, still nothing.

EXCEPT my original “In Box” is gone sometime around 10:00 am yesterday morning. After two day I deleted the second one myself. I don’t feel I should have to chase and beg. I’m like many sellers; I don’t have to do this.

I tried to do all the suggested things… reading about, vetting, checking all the feedbacks, follow all the hints for buyers, and read way too many reviews. Thought I was getting the best I could sort out, but I’m having a real tough time being a buyer if I can’t buy anything.

Like many sellers I read, they have buyers that think they HAVE to do this and expect/demand a 20Times Gig for 1 Gig price with a lot of “I can get it cheaper elsewhere… negotiation (blackmail?) or just cheat the seller out of their fee somehow. I feel their pain.

I guess I’m the other side of the coin. I too, don’t have to use Fiverr. I can go back to using local contractors.

I’m hoping for a bunch of suggestions. Thank you so much!

-g-

Unresolved what to do next. Fiverr or local contract hire? I’m sure there are heaps of comments I would like to hear and most likely my share of helpful feedback is also due.

Reply to @gainers: as you may know now the fiverr prices are lower then face to face contractors and for a seller to make a good income means to make 5 - to 15 orders a day at average in most cases, and these means, if a seller seas someone that may be picky (looking too much to details) they feel they will spend more time on that. and when doing 5-7 orders a day that is not a good thing from seller part.

In most cases the ordering on fiverr works like this,

1.find what you’re looking for by search and gig description

2. make the order and explain very well what you need done in one message

3. Wait for delivery.

Regards

It really sounds like you just hit the wrong sellers. I am both a seller and a buyer. Every seller I have worked with has responded quickly and professionally. Delivered great products at a fair price.

I do look at the average response time on a seller. If I see a really long time, I pass on them. As a seller I work hard to keep my average response time to 1 hour or less for what I do. Now obviously some buyers don’t get 1 hour response due to time zones, but I do respond to them first thing in the AM.

Keep looking. There are lots of great sellers on here, I know I’ve works with some amazing talents.

Thanks for your encouraging comments. I registered as a Fiverr in May 2015 and spent an enormous amount of time since then picking a high rated, high traffic Seller with an average response time of 6 hours and 100% Positive Rating. It happens, what seemed to be the best choice was in the USA, so I figured the time zone for response .But its been close to a week.

This could be why - either first time buyers or buyers using a seller for a first time are a bit gun-shy. It may be a bit unfair, but I’m looking at sellers in an entirely different way.

I’m also in a business where it’s not necessary for me to have production done in hours. The actual work may take only less than an hour, but in most cases, job scheduling and planning, many time allows sometimes up to two weeks.

I’m even willing to have a few “bad experiences” to find the “right seller” for me. One I can go back to, time after time.

I even planned and budgeted time and funds to “kiss a few toads before I find the princesses”. I can do a lot of “kissing” at Fiver prices to find the “perfect crew”.

I will take your (much appreciated) advice and go back to “shopping and vetting and kissing”.

Yes I put your link in my Favorites in the event I need some screen time production.

Have a great day!!

I’m both a buyer and seller. I probably buy about $1000 gigs a year. There are some growing pains working with Fiverr. With all the constant changes, even veterans can throw up their hands in frustration at times. Fiverr itself does not vet the sellers, they leave that completely up to the buyers with their reviews.

Here is how i approach buying.

1. I do a copy and paste message. Fairly general, just to see if I get any nibbles.

2. I search, read and fire off my cut and paste message. Usually I will hit 5 to 10 sellers.

3. Communication on fiverr is something you can’t take lightly. So when someone contacts me, my reply is more specific to make sure they understand my needs and that their is no communication concerns. I think communication is the biggest problem on Fiverr and Fiverr can share some of the blame for a communication system that is not up to par.

4. Here is the big plus. It may take some fishing but once you find a few that hit home, it’s like finding treasure. I now have a list of regular contacts. Some I rely on more than others. If one decides to leave Fiverr (some of the goods ones do leave for better pay elsewhere), I go in panic mode – LOL.

So the time I invest in Fiverr has really paid off. I’ll admit frustration is part of the game but like I said there is treasure in them there hills and I just have to go out and find it.

Good Luck

I am a seller more, than a buyer.
i’m sorry but i have to say this .
i think that sellers that have some time in fiverr absolutely do understand picky buyers from the first inbox message, and thats the main reason.

Doesn’t sound like fun… I know I am sometimes slow to respond, especially on weekends but I do always get back if I can. I hope you can find a seller who meets you needs, quickly! Good luck!

Reply to @gailbunning: Thank you for your comments. Wow, how well I know how projects can slow down everything or is it we are all moving to d _ _ _ fast and wanting or expected to move faster. ;=)

All I expected was a “I’m very busy, but I saw you message… back in 24 (minutes, hours, days)” would have covered it all.

If it didn’t work for me, I could write back, “Thanks for the reply but our timing together is off. Catch you on the next Gig. luv-ya”

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Have a blessed day.

I really think you had unfortunate experience. That doesn’t mean everyone on fiverr is like that. I have level 2 because I was successfully a seller about 2 years ago. Then I had to take a break and returned now. But when I was working regularly, I always PM-ed people within hours of them writing (as soon as I see it considering the time difference) or about a day later at most. And when I was here seriously, I made sure I did the best job possible for the client. I am sure there are a lot other sellers that would do a great job for you.
That being said, sometimes new ways of doing something take a while to get used to. I would say give Fiverr a bit more try. Searching locally will also take you a lot of time, and depending on where you are may be more expensive. With time you will refine your search process.
Also, when it comes to the way you choose people: have you considered sometimes choosing people that don’t have 100% rating but a good one still? Or people with little or no feedback? It sounds counter intuitive, but here is why (from my seller perspective):
a. when I was active on here, I had 100% rating for a while, and then made a mistake here and there(got too many orders before I realized I have to pause the gig, so I had to cancel some) and suddenly my rating was down. That had nothing to do with the quality of my work then, and it was a calendar management mistake which I took upon to correct- but my rating won’t reflect that until I get good amount of new orders with good feedback.
b. When I had no feedback (it was a gig I don’t have now) I was very eager to go above and beyond for any client willing to leave good feedback(you can’t do that forever because it doesn’t do you good financially- you end up working too much for too little)- so if you find someone new, they may surprise you with the quality they are willing to provide for you. I have nothing bad to say about experienced sellers with 100s of reviews, but I do think new sellers are sometimes the way to go. Though I would hash out details with them before ordering, of course.
p.s. The responding timing you mentioned surprizes me more- I would think it’s a logical professional thing to do to answer your messages in the manner you suggested at least- i will get back to you in this and this time. It doesn’t even have to be individual message, you can have something you can copy-paste when you’re too busy. It’s just good business thing. In my opinion anyway.

Have a fantastic day, you all.

Reply to @gainers: Ok, something doesn’t add up for me here. I’m a buyer myself as well.

First I think you will have a problem if you are intending to resell a sellers work and tell them so. Most sellers, while they know that exists, don’t really want to believe their work is being resold. So just keep that in mind as you formulate this business plan to use Fiverr in that way.

But you say that you spent an enormous amount of time reading, vetting, picking high rated sellers, but did you actually just go ahead and order any gigs from these selleers? YOu then talked about how you posted a buyers request and bought from that person, so I am a little confused about your actual method.

ALso, what kind of gig did you actually buy? And how much did you pay for it?

You said that someone didn’t get back to you after a few days, was this for a gig you already paid for? Techncially once you pay for a gig, there is a window/message that pops up fromt he sellers for you to input your instructions. In some cases you will not hear back from the seller until it’s delivery time, so that may or may not be an ok thing with you. Not all sellers or all gigs will be a constant communication like you would have with a local or direct vendor.

Reply to @sincere18: Thank you so much for your feedback. I’m sorry I wasn’t clear on some points. I have not purchased a gig yet. In the first group, I posted a buyers request, none were qualified, only #8 addressed the challenge details (still not qualified to do the work).

The seller I referred to that didn’t get back was from the initial - “in box me before you order” the seller requested. The remainder of the suggestions I understand but nothing ever happened, never heard from the seller.

The way I initially heard of Fiverr is from more than one business person that recommended Fiverr. Every one of those are very busily using Fiverr daily and each one of the (many) sellers they use have full knowledge that they are “resellers”. They have a good working relationship with their sellers including fair-market pricing and tip on a regular basis. More than one seller has told them (the re-seller buyers) they appreciate the business because they are reaching extended buyers that would never find (or even want to look or deal with) Fiver-buyer/seller relationships.

In my search for gigs I am not mentioning I am “re-selling” as it is not pertaining to the immediate relationship, quality of communications, pricing, quality of work, tips, etc.

I thank you again for your insight - I value it, you’ve been successful with Fiverr for a long time, I’m the newbie. Have a blessed day.

Reply to @albanokofsha: Thank you for taking the time to write back. Sounds like you have had some interesting transactions along the way.

Help me here… “Picky” being a good thing or …??

Yes, I have a pretty good idea of what I need, etc. and the verbosity to blather on about it, but maybe not precise enough for some sellers ears ;=)

Thank you for taking your time to comment. It is valued. Have a great day!

Reply to @steveeyes: Wow, thank you so much for your answer and comments. You put into an organized, Step 1, 2, 3,… what I had a gut feeling I needed to do… “kiss a bunch of toads to find the princess” 'cept you make it sound organized and professional while I’m out there tossing five dollar bills around.

You offered me “good luck” and I thank you. You’ve been at it many years and judging from your gig page, it’s been talent and damn hard work (it shows) … with a bit of the luck, of course.

Thank you for sharing your years of insight. Will make my next steps lighter and easier.

You have a blessed day.

Reply to @gainers: ah, ok, thanks for clarifying. So the seller that never answered that was just a general inquiry that you never heard back on. Many sellers say contact me before ordering, it doesn’t necessarily correlate to how good their customer service skills.

But the reality is you just have to start buying a few gigs as a test. Forget all the labor intensive review reading that you are doing. Just find a few good ones that you think are decent and buy a few basic gigs. Then come back and let’s talk about your experience at that point as a buyer. You aren’t really a buyer until you actually start buying something :slight_smile:

Actually I think part of the issue maybe that you have to kind of transition your mindset that this is a little different than workign with local vendors. It’s a complete anonymous site and personal information cannot be exchanged, so that creates a whole different ballgame. If you are looking for long term relationships the only way to do that is after you buy a gig and it comes out well and you have a good experience working with that seller.

Reply to @gainers: picky can be a bad thing :frowning: Some sellers don’t want to deal with people that they feel are just going to waste their time, or have such complicated instructions and discussions before even ordering a gig.

Reply to @gainers: but that is what we are trying to say, you are not going to get those kinds of messages on a site like Fiverr, you have very different expectations in some areas with working on a site like this. Sellers reply when they can give you an answer.

Reply to @sincere18: Thanks for all the above feedback. I’ll respond with just this entry.
I don’t think my posted request was too general or too long. One detailed sentence long, if I remember correctly, under 25 words. Eight responses, but all sounded unqualified (I detailed all of this in my first post)

Second was “in-boxing” as requested. Basically, I’m interested in your gig, I’m in=boxing as requested— what is it that you need to instruct me and when.

—I was kind of interested in what albanokofsha meant by “picky”.

Probably to help clarify, the gigs I will use most are technical in nature. Folks around the world recognize that we are in a “picky” industry. In the profession, we call it “being detail oriented”. An absolute necessary skill-set to stay in the industry with any degree of success.

The fact that in my first example, 7 of the 8 respondents didn’t recognize the detail, signaled me the gig would likely end in a mess. The 8th did recognize the detail and responded in kind, but admitted they had no experience. A mistake, even unknowingly, can have a far reaching negative impact. It’s not like a logo drawing where the Red color is not quite perfect, but very much usable.

The one where I followed the sellers request to “in-box” I don’t get it. I guess from now on I’ll keep my first response to “in-boxing” to under 10 words.

How about, “I want your gig, what do I do next?”

Since I started this post this morning I’ve already taken steeveys (and yours) coaching and with a small budget, (try) to buy a bunch of small gigs and see what develops. I suppose spending it here is better than buying 50 lotto or powerball tickets. Ya, think?

Thanks again

Reply to @gainers: Ok, I see a few problems. One is I wonder why you are dancing around saying what kind of gig you are buying, what does “technical in nature” mean…are you buying HTML programming gig or what? YOu must be clicking on certain titled gigs, so what are they. We can help you better if you share that and what you are actually looking for.

Yes, I read your first post above. Buyer requests are not the way to go here if you need really detailed technical info, you will get random replies from sellers. Plus keep in mind that not everyone is native English speaking so many will not even understand it properly even if you do write it.

Also, this is not what “contact me before ordering” tends to mean. It’s not for you to simply say what is it that you need for me or what do I do next.

What many sellers mean by that is, please give a brief description of your gig so they will know what it will entail and whether they will do it or not, or if it needs to be a custom quote or how many “extras” or gig “quantities” you will need to buy.

So any in-boxing that you do needs to be a bit more more like “I am looking for this kind of gig, I need x, y, and z done, in the colors of red and yellow with a photo of the golden gate bridge in the background with a oragami photoshop effect on the logo part. Is that something you can do and about how long will it take? Which extra gigs should I purchase for this? Thank you.”

Or if you have a detailed buyer request written up with what you need, in-box that to a few sellers you are interested in.

Reply to @photograhicsoul: Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights. Yes, I’m going to try your suggestion of trying a newer seller (now in progress as I write)- wanting to get going with their sales. I agree, it sounds a bit counter-intuitive, but I really do understand the phycology. But only with the subjective projects. Here is why.

I know how to take into account the differences between sellers in group A & B (below). In either case, I am extremely aware and respectful of a sellers time.

Group A. Some see the services from a Subjective point of view. Very much artistic. Like the example given just above describing how I should handle a logo request. I understand that method and have no problem with that. I also plan the budget to allow for more than presentation to choose from.

I have purchased a lot of art work over the years (elsewhere). I always respect the subjective points of view. Of course there is some compromise, give & take, and a heap of opinions. Everyone’s eye see thing differently. Here, in this office of five, on subjective items, the majority wins. 3 out of 5 takes it. 4 to 1 is rare. I don’t know what I would do if all of us agreed on the same subjective item. (wonder if that could ever happen-HA!)

A business card design may look good to the artist and 40% of people, the other 30% “hate it” and the last 30% didn’t notice or maybe don’t care. Just like what fruit you like to eat, or what music you like. Us humans are all over the board with our likes and preferences. (a real good thing)

When a (art/subjective) presentation is very close to my ideas, I buy, because perceptions vary. Also, time (being too “picky”) is probably money wasted. Besides, I realize some are just not going to like it anyway. (ask me about the last brochure I had made for an marketing campaign…ouch. Oh, well, I had fun trying!)

Group B. Some see the services from an Objective point of view or technical in nature. Precise, very detailed oriented, accurate, no room for error. In the technical world, there is little to no room for error. Call me “Picky” if you will.

The big difference here (without diminishing the subjective, human element) is, *IF the business card or brochure is a marketing flop due to visual perception/acceptance, I toss them and write off a hundred bucks of printing. Go back and try a different perspective. Oops

If, in (my) technical world, a technician/engineer (seller) doesn’t preform to industry (again, call me “picky”) detailed standards-and on time… hundreds of websites stop, email doesn’t get delivered, ecommerce stops, etc. And that is just the beginning of the problems. No room for Oops.

From your comments, I’m sure you are well aware of this. Thank you again for being so open with your past experience and insight. I wish you well and success in your return.

Have a real blessed day!