I feel like the person doesn’t have a clue and is throwing spaghetti against the wall

beverliemacleod

Question: kind of off topic, but tangential. I bought my first gig. I asked for a logo made to look like advertising from the 1930’s-50’s. I own an antique shop. I wanted it one colour and of a nature that I could cut it on vinyl and put it on different things- for branding. Is that a complicated request? I feel like the person doesn’t have a clue and is throwing spaghetti against the wall.

Question: kind of off topic, but tangential. I bought my first gig. I asked for a logo made to look like advertising from the 1930’s-50’s. I own an antique shop. I wanted it one colour and of a nature that I could cut it on vinyl and put it on different things- for branding. Is that a complicated request? I feel like the person doesn’t have a clue and is throwing spaghetti against the wall.

That doesn’t sound like a massively complicated request but for something like that, I would personally clarify further with the buyer to understand exactly what they are looking for and if it is something I can do for them. If I couldn’t work out the style they were looking for then I would probably ask the buyer for some reference images to show the exact style and avoid misunderstandings.

I feel like the person doesn’t have a clue and is throwing spaghetti against the wall.

In many cases I have seen with logos created here, I think the buyer would have been better off doing this and using the result. At least it would be original 🙂

I can imagine your pain.

However, if you are ordering a $5 logo, what you are experiencing is pretty much you getting your money’s worth.

But if you are ordering a logo that has a price tag of at least $100, then I think the Seller may be a bit out of their league on this one.

Professional logo designers are likely not going to do anything for under $100.

Good logo designers will cost you $500 or more.

Sadly, there are a lot of um, under-qualified Sellers on Fiverr here trying to make a quick buck and decided that logo design would be a simple way to reach that goal.

You know, with a logo rendering program on the computer, how can you miss?

Well, until a Buyer throws a specific design request their way as you have.

I hope this works out for you.

I had a similar experience twice for a logo at about $50 each attempt where I provided two modern logo references then asked for those to be merged in a sort of medieval tavern sign aesthetic for a fantasy D&D book. In both cases, the sellers blended the logos but kept everything stylistically modern. Neither seller seemed to have a very good grasp of english. I don’t think they really tried to read the text.

I feel like buyers may need to ask the seller to sort of “read the order back” to them so see if all spec elements got noticed or not before ordering.

I asked for a logo made to look like advertising from the 1930’s-50’s. I own an antique shop. I wanted it one colour and of a nature that I could cut it on vinyl and put it on different things- for branding.

So, more detailed and either simple but highly realistic (like older comic books) or an abstract combination of geometric with thicker lines and/or smooth and angular. But still needs to be solid and structurally sturdy enough to support itself when cut.

I’ll admit the one-color thing makes it tricky. 50s was known for two to three colors, one or two lighter colors, and then one that was a higher contrast, so as to stand out more. The 30-50s was also the ‘era of simplification’, so that’s in the middle of the transition from serif to sans serif for fonts. That, at least, would need to be something you specify.

Archived