Fiverr Community Forum

I give up - I'm creating a Gig to help ******* people use my **** [Other Marketplace] account

I doubt if anyone comes and sets up a gig for $800 and really expects to immediately start getting sales even without any reviews. People with thousands of reviews don’t charge that much here so it’s probably that the OP is just priced out of range for the site. It’s his prerogative to charge what he knows he is worth.

A friend of mine got on fiverr and he was done with the site after a few weeks after receiving mostly up work spam. It made my enthusiasm for the site look a bit silly, but I honestly don’t remember spam being this intense when I registered in 2015. It definitely wasn’t bad enough to shape up my entire experience.

Makes me wonder what has changed since then.

1 Like

I believe it is only common on new sellers who the spammers assume have no experience. It probably works just fine and a lot of sellers fall for it, otherwise the spam would stop.
The security got tighter on most freelancing platforms and Fiverr slacked on it from this point of view (at least on the spam filtering issue) They do it now more than ever because there are fewer places to spam and on Fiverr it still works.
I read the forum from the first day and I reported about 20 so far, but most sellers don’t use the forum, so they don’t know how to react.

The thing that has changed is that the spammers have caught on that it works sometimes. Fiverr should send a notice to new sellers about it.

I can imagine some cramped dirty room with 30 spammers working away in some forsaken place.

2 Likes

In my opinion, it is the world of cyber-security. I hate Windows, but it has been easy to lock down Windows and make systems almost 100% malware and hack-proof since Windows 8.1. As a result, hackers now focus on social hack vectors. i.e. You don’t hack a computer, you hack its user.

It is also cheaper and results in a better ROI to hack a person rather than a machine. We all know, after all, that at least one in 100 newbies on Fiverr (or anywhere) will go out of their way to make some $$'s helping supposed Chinese freelancers access their machines. Sending 100 messages everyday is easy compared to actually hacking a website or PC.

Sadly, I think the number of people who are even aware of social hacking is tiny. Just yesterday, someone impersonating a famous crypto market influencer ran a scam on Twitter where they promised to giveaway free Bitcoin. All you had to do was send them how much Bitcoin you would like to double. (Send in 1 BTC, get 2 BTC back.)

I watched hundreds of people blindly start sending their Bitcoin to this person, never to get it back. You would think that such people would know better. However, with social hacking, there are always profits to be made as a lot of people don’t.

1 Like

I got an email offering that this week. I had signed up with some sketchy bitcoin site a while back.

I was sent very adult “reference” images recently. My jaw dropped. I saw things proctologists see. And when I asked what made them think it was okay to violate ToS in this manner, they told me: “Oh, it’s fine, as long as we don’t leave a review and it doesn’t show up in your portfolio, it’s totally fine.”

So yeah, there are things that are casually happening on fiverr underneath the surface and I wouldn’t be surprised that selling up work accounts is an actual business model for some around here.

The account that contacted me is now banned but they were a new account that was lecturing me about how things were done so they’ll probably just get another one.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised that selling up work accounts is an actual business model for some around here.

I think that is just an excuse the spammers use to find new sellers who are willing to violate rules, and are naive. I don’t think they really want fake upwork accounts. But I don’t know for sure.
I thought they asked for some money once they found the right sellers who would go along with this stupid offer. It takes a certain type of person to actually accept this offer.

I wonder if that offer you got that was obscene was actually just someone who wanted to send those types of images to a female. Yuck.

1 Like

I imagine people like that get VPN accounts, so they don’t have to worry about IP issues when they get new accounts for their nonsense.

Sorry this happened to you, by the way.

2 Likes

The proper etiquette if you want to commission some naughty stuff is to ask the artist first if they do something like this and then, after receiving a confirmation, send the references. Which wasn’t done in this case. In addition to that, they told me: “Let us know if you’ve received the images” which is a bit of a strange question unless you do want an explicit confirmation that the images were seen.

But then, on the other hand, they seemed to have a deep knowledge of how the site worked so it could be a bit of both, I suppose. There is some gratification to be had from someone constantly staring at one’s body parts while drawing them.

Up work used to allow people to put “No X need apply” on the job descriptions a few years back so I can see how some would want to hide their country of origin. But your theory makes more sense.

Never underestimate the deviousness of a pervert. He wanted a reaction from you.

I agree with @misscrystal, they wanted you to feel uncomfortable and upset. Some guys seem to enjoy making women feel that way.

2 Likes

You have to admit, the entire operation was kind of inventive, though.

I miss the good ol’ days when they’d just spam you with fake project briefs with dodgy links in them. I don’t get those anymore at all.

1 Like