I have a tip for buyers

missashley8705

Don’t EVER EVER EVER ask a seller to complete an interview for your request. That means if you need work done, don’t approach a seller with a message like “I need this service but before I hire you please complete this short interview 1. Why do you deserve this job? 2. What are your strongest assets? 3. Do you think I’m a pompous a-hole? 4…” you get the idea.

First off, Fiverr is made up of buyers and sellers also known as businesses and customers NOT employers and job seekers. For instance, you don’t go to Walmart and ask the cashier why you should purchase your deodorant from Walmart and what makes them most qualified to sell it you.

By asking an entrepreneur/seller to interview to provide you a service is way out of line and totally arrogant/ignorant. Sending a message to a seller asking if they are willing and able to help you out… Good Fiverr Etiquette, sending a seller an interview list of questions asking why they deserve to provide you a service… Very BAD Fiverr Etiquette.

No seller appreciates that behavior. Some sellers may tolerate it better and politely tell you they won’t be able to assist you but others (like myself) will not so politely, tell you to go play in traffic.

Buyers often complain about how sellers don’t communicate and provide sub par service or no service at all. Sellers likewise complain about buyers with bad behavior. Often times the complaints are valid and understandable, however in general, remember this little fact… ALWAYS treat your sellers with the same type of respect and consideration you hope to receive. A sellers attitude will often directly reflect that of their buyers. My personal experience as a seller is that when I have a friendly, considerate buyer, I am likewise friendly and considerate. I give those buyers my 100% plus a little extra. It seems obvious that you should behave a certain way when interacting with people on Fiverr but I’m constantly reminded that in fact a lot of people just don’t get these simple concepts. If you want the best, then give your best!

Totally! Requesting a seller to provide some kind of free work before ordering (e.g., answering a questionnaire or creating a sample) is plain inconsiderate and absurd. I frequently get messages regarding my gig that go something like this: “I’m interested in your service, but before I order, edit and proofread this file as a sample so I can know if I want to buy your gig.” Ummmm, no.

No seller is okay with offering free work, and sending some kind of request for a pseudo job interview or free sample is a great way to make that seller say, “There’s no way I’m working with that guy!” and simply ignore the request or put that user on their black list.

If the buyer has a particularly big project and has concerns about spending a large amount of money on a seller they’ve never worked with, that’s understandable. However, I think that buying a $5 gig to be used as a desired sample before investing in a big order is appropriate, not asking for free work beforehand.

Most sellers simply don’t have time to be dealing with nonsense like that. And if a seller does offer some kind of free pre-order work, they’re definitely not going to be happy about it, and they’ll likely not be happy about having to work with that buyer afterwards, either, possibly resulting in service that’s not as great as what they give to their buyers who are enjoyable to work with.

Reply to @nickih: Exactly! Obviously if someone was about to sign a $10000 deal with me (I wish) and asked for a quick sample or requested I complete a short questionnaire, then sure! If someone is spending thousands of dollars then I get wanting to know what they are buying and having some sort of assurance. However Fiverr isn’t known for thousand dollar deals, it’s known for 5 dollar deals and you don’t get free previews or assurances for that.

When someone asks me to “interview” I automatically label them as a cheapskate with delusions of grandeur. Like you said, I’m all set with working with those types. I would rather go without the $4 profit rather than debase myself for their amusement.

You know it really depends on the situation too.

I had a person a couple of days ago that asked for a special demo like the OP talks about. >click–blocked.

But, I had another buyer who asked me “Hey do you think you could do the voice of a professor from the Boston area in his 60’s who recites chants for a video game?” WOAH! that was COOL. I really had no idea, so I did a quick improv and sent him the sample asking “how’s this?” And got a sizeable gig from it.

If they asked me to do something I knew I could do, I’d just say sure I can do it, but I’m not making a special demo. I already have demos posted and a couple of them took over a week to produce, being video.

Reply to @liquidlettuce: See I agree with that difference. I have done similar things. A buyer wants “Something… Kinda like… It’s hard to explain” and I think I know what they are talking about so I send them something I have previously done like that or a new rough outline of what I would do. To me a sample of something that is new territory is perfectly acceptable. I just don’t like when a buyer treats you like you came to him begging for his business and then proceeds to ask you to perform for him like a circus act.

Reply to @davidlustrup: Exactly! The guy who prompted this post had the word “billionaire” in his name and his photo is of him smiling to show his tinfoil “grill”, leaning on a beat up Cadillac from the early 90’s and wearing a suit that was 5 sizes too big and reminded me of my 6 year old son when he dresses like daddy. Once I told the guy I was all set with working with him and doing his silly little interview he says “good you not work for me. I already tell you no professional like me. You see how good I do by my picture. I who professional not u.” Bahahahahahaha yeah okay… Was my response. This guy took delusions of grandeur to a whole nother level.

Reply to @miacmht: They wanted brand names or headlines, I forgot. I do think it’s unacceptable, we’re not supposed to share private information (your real name). Even when clients ask me to write e-mails for them, I don’t give them my real name, although the can give me their real website which has their contact information. Besides, I’ve had $90 jobs with no confidentiality agreements, so wasting my time with paperwork for $15 is ridiculous.

I’ve never had someone “interview” me but they will often ask for a free sample and I apologize and let them know that unfortunately I don’t have the time to offer free samples, but that they are welcome to order a smaller gig and I will do a sample for them.

Outside of that, people will ask me what kind of microphone I use, what recording software, etc. I think those are all legitimate questions.

What I DONT like is people wasting my time with paragraphs and paragraphs about how cool they are and how they are going to make me sooo famous and then at the end they only ask if I’m willing to work with them. Lol.

Yes. I’m willing to work with you. Please tell me what you want.

This is a great tip! Many buyers like to play on sellers intelligent. Some ask questions that can’t be answered in thesis and expect busy buyers to provide just that. I previously wrote an article about this behavior and the article is now on Google’s page 1.

Level 1, 2, and 3 sellers with above 95% positive reviews are not learners. Asking for sample of previous work or fresh work is totally out of the game.

many of them have already seen sellers positive reviews, so they want his/her work to use as a template or even want to rewrite your article for buyers in other site.

Archived