I just found out that a seller USED all the content that i PAID FOR in another website

What do you think i should do?

I just found out that someone who i been paying for a lot of gigs posted all the content that she wrote for me in her own website, before i posted it on mine.

I’ve been paying her to write content for my blog. Is there something i should do? What do you think?

I’ve read all of your replies. I don’t think that she should work 12 hours for 5 dollars or anything like that. She clearly told me that it takes her 15 minutes to complete the gigs because of years of experience, and i’m paying her anyways. I’m not paying 2,50 because of that. So it’s the same from both sides. If it takes her 10 minutes or 10 hours and she agrees to do it, the content should be mine, as the title clearly states “Write articles…” not “Copy articles…”.

markp, i can see that you understand my problem.

That’s exactly my concern… publishing this is useless, but i paid for 16 gigs and i would like to use the content anyways, but google knows that it is copied from another website, even if my users have no idea.

solow, i’m planning to ask her, my i’m curious about what can I do if i don’t get a good response from the other end.

On the gig she writes:

"Would you like your article to be posted to my blog as well as giving you the article to post on your own site? I can do that, and give a link back to your website as well. You can find this service in my gig add-ons. "

This is charged $20 (Yes 20) extra dollars. I NEVER asked for any of this, as it is useless for me.

So instead of insulting someone before talking to other people, i decided to ask you guys in this community. You probably spent a lot more time in here than me, so you know the TOS for example, and you told me that the content is MINE, not hers after I paid for it.

That’s pretty terrible. I think the best thing to do is get in touch with customer support and report the seller!

I actually found one of the articles in someone elses website. So there’s already two websites with my exact same content

I’m not sure there’s much you can do. If it’s content that they wrote, it’s their content, regardless of who pays for it. That’s really horrible customer service, but I don’t think it’s against any policies or laws. I would alter your reviews of your orders, based on what you’ve found out, and then take your business to someone else.

Let’s be realistic. This is not Madison Avenue. You come here to pay peanuts for work that would otherwise cost you hundreds of dollars anywhere else. Plagiarism is a relative term these days, when you look at the sheer volume of short blog articles that have to be written everyday. A seller trying to recoup some of their time by recycling content is not exactly plagiarism, nor is it unethical. You have to understand, some sellers make their entire living here. Do you work for $5 per hour? No, so why do you expect sellers here to. If a seller can earn more money per hour by conserving and recycling content, I say more power to them. You should be happy for them. What are the odds that someone on the web is going to see your website, and the one with the same words on it? Zero to none. And if they do, so what? It’s website words, it’s not War and Peace. I say, take a more mature attitude toward the community here, which is a nice way to say, “Get over it.”

Reply to @amandygran: Technically, if the buyer pays for it, it becomes their property, according to Fiverr’s TOS.

Did you ask for and/or receive a refund for the content? If yes–then it’s hers to do with as she pleases.

If not–then, you should ask for your money back or at the very least tell her she needs to take the content down from her blog. You paid for it, it’s yours. She no longer has the rights to use it. From Fiverr’s Terms of Service:

“Buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work, unless otherwise specified by the seller on their Gig page. Note: some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for commercial use. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights to the delivered work without purchasing the Extra. If you intend to use it for business purposes, you will need to buy the Extra.”

Reply to @webtelly: In this case, if the buyer paid for the content and didn’t cancel or file a dispute, the buyer does own the content. It’s not a matter of mature or immature, it’s a matter of professionalism and copyright. Let’s say you got a great deal and bought a nice bicycle extra-cheap from a stranger who lived down the street from you. You really need the bike, but when you go out to ride it to work, you find that the bike seller just walked to your house and without asking you, the took the bike for the day. After all, they sold the bike to you for way less than it was worth, so more power to them if they want to use it too, right?

The best thing you can do is to ask the seller why she used your work on her blog too.

Doing this has can have serious consequences for the buyers site. They paid for the content and it is theirs, not theirs and ten other persons as well. Do you know who is going to see the the buyers website and another website with the same content on? Google is and if the seller put the content on their own site first it is basically useless for @tonga88 and if a lot of content has gone up like this it can negatively impact the site.

If the gig states that this is unique content or they will write you an article, not provide you with rehashed or shared content then you are entitled to expect the content to be yours. This is unethical and underhand and you might as well go and copy an article from an article directory and put it in your site because you are going to get exactly the same result from this. Zero.

@tonga88 I would contact the seller and tell them you want fresh content and if they do not comply report them to support. If they offer to remove the content from their site that is useless as well because if Google indexed the content on the sellers site first, which you seem to be implying, then as far as Google and other search engines are concerned that content is theirs (the sellers) and removing it is pointless. If you are buying a lot of articles I would also invest in copyscape or similar which will catch a lot of underhand behaviour like this.

Reply to @webtelly: Probably the duplicate content will not be noticed by any of the buyer’s customers…not to mention what kind of impression it will leave on people if someone does notice…

But search engines will certainly notice and this will have a negative impact on the buyer’s ranking (because their site put it up after the seller).

Reply to @webtelly: I’m surprised that as a writer with 30 years experience in sales and marketing that you don’t have a better understanding of IP, copyright and work-for-hire law. You might want to brush up on that before you end up with a boat-load of DCMA, etc., issues to deal with. Check out Wikipedia for a start.

I do agree with you that Fiverr has to be treated as what it is. What it is being an agency that primarily enables the buying and selling of lower cost, micro jobs. However, that does not mean that the site’s Terms are irrelevant, laws can be disregarded or ethical business practices have no place here.

Any user of the service is free to conduct themselves as they see fit - take the money and run, or provide exceptionally good work at insanely low rates - but if rules and laws are ignored, there is always the chance of not ‘getting away with it’ at some point.

Reply to @tonga88: That’s an extremely weird extra to offer. Why would you want her to post the exact same content on her blog, even if it is linked back to your website? Unless her blog is extremely high quality and very heavily trafficked, it’s not exactly going to be an effective backlink.

Definitely try to get some response from her. If she doesn’t respond, refuses to take down the content, or refuses to provide a refund, I’d ask Customer Support what they can do in the way of either making sure she takes down the content or getting you your money back.

It makes other writers who try to make a living through this site look bad when someone does this–that’s why I’m a little keyed up about it.

emasonwrites said: That's an extremely weird extra to offer. Why would you want her to post the exact same content on her blog, even if it is linked back to your website? Unless her blog is extremely high quality and very heavily trafficked, it's not exactly going to be an effective backlink.

I'd say she's simply hoping to 'catch' the folks who don't actually know anything about how backlinks actually work (or don't). She doesn't understand it either - she obviously thinks 'the more words on-site, the better regardless of what they are or where they come from', so I doubt there's anything other than ignorance of the internet and 'up-sell anything I can!' at play.

And don't worry about it being a poor reflection on you. Everyone who spends five minutes on Fiverr understands that there are quality providers as well as the hacks. Peeps can tell which camp you're in.