Fiverr Community Forum

I keep getting ghosted, I dont know why?

I just wanted to rant, i havent seen many discussion about the topic.

the first time this happened, I had been sending progress updates to a client, ( i hadn’t open an order, mistake on me, i know) I was doing emotes for five dollars, five emotes, five dollars, (this is absurdly low price by the way) i send in some final examples, unusable obviously, he liked the first couple but not the others, so i asked him about what revisions he wanted to make, and he just, bailed, i texted him a couple weeks later but no reply, i just took the loss but was extremely frustrated, how hard is it to just give an answer??? either let me change it or tell me you dont want to work with me?

there’s been MULTIPLE instances of people opening conversations saying they want to work with me specifically, (addressed by name, I dont know if you can automate this message) i reply within ten or twenty minutes, no reply, I just assume that I took too long and they went with someone else, even though I think my response time was pretty reasonable

but the one that really ticked me off was this person who messaged me interested in my gig asking about stuff specific to my description. I replied within the MILISECOND. I was on my phone when the notif showed up, clicked on it and gave a reply on the same exact minute they spoke to me, there is no way they did not see it!! they were right there online! they sent a message at 6;32, i replied at 6:32. and nothing, ghosted me, its been days. ugh

was I too quick? if I take ten minutes its too slow, if I replied immediately is too quick? what’s with buyers and an aversion to just say, 'no sorry i changed my mind/i found someone else, ect. I find it extremely disrespectful to just leave someone talking to themselves.

for context, how i usually reply to an inquiry is by saying hello first, and affirming I can do their request, then I just ask for details. EX: hello! I read you do X in your gig description? im looking for blah blah- hello! yes I do X, are you looking for blah blah like this or like this? or alternatively, yes i can do x, are you interested?

I feel like this are very reasonable and to the point. I dont know if im being intimidating or what those people are thinking, or if my competition is online 24/7 and beat me in ten minutes, or if by chance, all of these potential buyers were struck by a meteorite and couldnt reply. but its happened to many times for comfort, and I don’t know if its something im doing wrong and can be avoid it, or people are just really weird that they want a job from fiverr and never log on again.

I just wanted to rant and see if anyone had similar issues, or had advice on how to beat this, or is this just truly part of the seller experience.

4 Likes

Buyers are a strange bunch.

I’ve waited days for responses that have either happened or not.

I think I still have a number of open convos that date back well over a year.

It happens.

I wouldn’t worry about it as the right Buyer will come along.

9 Likes

Hey There @alec_mace!

I’m a totally new seller, but I hear what you’re saying!

I have experienced some ghosting, in my very short amount of time on the site, the majority of it came from me chasing after buyer requests, and I always try to respond quickly, my turn around time is an hour generally.

I don’t worry about it too much. Sometimes prospective clients want information and aren’t committed to the buy. And that’s OK. They may come around eventually, and I’ll be ready for them!

My first two prospective clients were ghosts. It was a learning experience, as I didn’t know what to expect, and I was super excited when I thought that first gig was going to happen…and feeling momentarily let down when it didn’t.

If it seemed like a perspective client and I were tracking in a conversation on a gig ( but no order submitted or accepted) and the conversation goes dry… I’ll give them a day (life happens), send one follow up message, usually to the extent of thanking them again for their interest and time, and keeping the door open for further communication. Then I move on. :slight_smile:

Once an order was in, I wasn’t worrying about those half finished conversations, at least that’s how I felt. Keep at it! :smiley:

1 Like

Ghosting is a sign of a tiny tacker. Nothing else. Did you come here to associate with people with no honor? If so worry. If not, be sad at how many stoneless stools there are out there and be thankful that they are not wasting time you could use to do something useful like stare at the carpet.

I will say that for fine fellows such as us who write a lot, many will recoil in offense that they didn’t understand a word we said. Largely because they TL:DRd it anyway. I have tried writing less eloquently but no nubblies as people are afrightened of others who they think may be more intellimonkey than they choose to be.

You just need to understandificate who your type of peeps are and ablate the rest away.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have this all the time myself. Buyers send a message, I answer and they disappear. Other times we even set up the price for a custom order, they seem more than willing to do it, then they’re just gone.

I also had a couple cases of buyers accepting a custom order, but then they never accepted it and just ghosted me forever.

The most common issue is with unresponsive buyers when an order is active. Like someone else said before me, buyers can be a strange bunch for sure.

In most cases buyers won’t even read your gig descriptions properly and request things that aren’t part of your work or that you already covered in your FAQ sections. See them vanish as soon as you tell them, too, never expect a “thank you” nor “have a nice day bye” :smiley:

2 Likes

This can happen sometimes (very often, in fact). In relation, I would say that I answer requests more often than I then ever get an answer to them. But that’s okay for me, because I want my counterpart to be interested in my work and to be available for questions. This is how “problem cases” often sort themselves out.

I have the feeling that many people forget through the age of the Internet that the other person is also only a human being and not a machine. In the store, you don’t ask the employee about a product and then suddenly turn around and leaving without saying a word or a single “thank you”. Well, that’s just the way it is in the internet.

Sometimes something just comes up or a project is postponed indefinitely. Just a few days ago, a customer immediately bought a package from me after our first test run was over a year ago and I’ve never heard back since. It was kind of a surpise but hey - he thought about me and my service as he wanted to proceed with his project.

So, maybe some people are just testing the waters and get back to you later.

1 Like

In the store, you don’t ask the employee about a product and then suddenly turn around and leaving without saying a word or a single “thank you”.

This is a large part of why I left face-to-face selling as it was exactly the sort of thing happening. Tht is not selling, it is demeaning.

:slight_smile:

Ghosting is an act of love from your buyers. It’s a gift to you you do not realize. It is a chance to improve your response time.

haha, i think youre joking, but i did think my response time was pretty fair! i mean i replied in a second! that was honestly the ticking point. :sweat: