I know how this looks, but there is a very good reason

idostuff4u

Guest sophiesvoice

You’re an inspiration! I love gardening but haven’t been able to do any this year. 🌱

Hey @idostuff4u, you have to come back and share about this photo! I want to know what you are growing and stuff. Your planting method there reminds me of something new (to me) that I tried this year. I’m in a small place that’s a rental, so instead of making a big permanent garden, I tried this “square foot gardening” that I read about in blogs. So far some of it has worked and some of it hasn’t, but I sure have enjoyed it! I’m managed to grow a few edible things - tomatoes, peppers, green onions, squash. I’ve got herbs too - chives, basil and oregano mainly, plus a few others.

If we misunderstood your photo, I want to hear that story! Either way, you have to come back and fill in!

Guest sophiesvoice

Hey @idostuff4u, you have to come back and share about this photo! I want to know what you are growing and stuff. Your planting method there reminds me of something new (to me) that I tried this year. I’m in a small place that’s a rental, so instead of making a big permanent garden, I tried this “square foot gardening” that I read about in blogs. So far some of it has worked and some of it hasn’t, but I sure have enjoyed it! I’m managed to grow a few edible things - tomatoes, peppers, green onions, squash. I’ve got herbs too - chives, basil and oregano mainly, plus a few others.

If we misunderstood your photo, I want to hear that story! Either way, you have to come back and fill in!

I love square foot gardening!

Guest sophiesvoice

I’m amazed at what works in small spaces! Now I just need it to water itself for the rest of the summer. Are you growing a garden this year?

Yes, small gardens, even container gardens can be bountiful.

Sadly, no garden for me yet. I had surgery earlier this year, when it was prime plotting time. After I reasonably recovered, this long rainy season descended on my neck of the woods.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to get something going once things dry out a bit. 🌱

Good for you, Idostuff4u! I wish I had a garden. That said, I did successfully grow Ox Heart Tomatoes, chilies, and a lot of herbs on my tiny back balcony a couple of years ago. The only problem was that as my tomatoes started to take off, they were invaded by pests.

Naturally, I didn’t want to use pesticides since my dog is on the balcony a lot and I was eating what I was growing. However, I heard that getting fresh mint, making a strong tea with it, and putting this in a spray bottle to spray plants with could be used as a natural pesticide. It didn’t work completely but I did see a big reduction in bugs to the point where I could just pick the rest off if I was patient enough.

Oh! Me too, that’s so weird. I’m renovating our back yard’s flower beds and trying to get some exercise and sunshine in the mix! 😎 We’re in Southern California so I’m focusing on succulents for the moment to be drought-minded.

Keep us posted on the plants! I’d love to see what harvest time looks like! 👍

Good for you, Idostuff4u! I wish I had a garden. That said, I did successfully grow Ox Heart Tomatoes, chilies, and a lot of herbs on my tiny back balcony a couple of years ago. The only problem was that as my tomatoes started to take off, they were invaded by pests.

Naturally, I didn’t want to use pesticides since my dog is on the balcony a lot and I was eating what I was growing. However, I heard that getting fresh mint, making a strong tea with it, and putting this in a spray bottle to spray plants with could be used as a natural pesticide. It didn’t work completely but I did see a big reduction in bugs to the point where I could just pick the rest off if I was patient enough.

Neem oil for pests. 🙂

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the feedback. Here are some more pics (because you asked. 🙂

This is what I look like when I’m exhausted.

It looks like in one of those movies where people prepare for the apocalypse 😃

Archived