I\'m supposed to be studying for finals

psychicbunny

Since the thread includes a recommendation against a liberal arts education (and writer’s recommendation has merit IMHO) I’m going to throw in my opposing view. Depending on what kind of life you have, what you expect to do in the future and how tied you are to things like fame, great fortune or power - liberal arts degrees have their uses.

I went to undergrad school and changed my major many times. I had a partner who made enough to pay bills. I could work part time to pay for school. I explored all my interests on both sides, switching from Biology to Forensics, on to Psychology and Horse Training, then to Teaching. I didn’t get a degree in any of those. I ended up with a BA in English with no teaching cert and no job prospect. I did half my Master’s degree but walked out.

In the long run I would have been more financially comfortable at times with a different degree, but the piece of paper counted more than the type of degree in my case. IT jobs were plentiful (per-recession) and since computers were my hobby, I landed jobs in IT for many years and did OK. Now I get to do a little of both in my varied entrepreneurial affairs.

Given my experiences, if you need fortune, fame or power (especially fast) and your heart isn’t set on anything else, take the advice to stay out of liberal arts. If your inner calling tells you otherwise, go for it. You can always get more degrees, and ignore what contempt people have. 🙂 @psychicbunny - Good luck on studies! Fiverr is slow for me, probably due to the change and the season.

(Just a post for fun - not an anti-@writer99025 post)

I had various courses in college from various fields.
I graduated with a B.A. in Business Administration. I felt lucky to be at a college that allowed us to choose from so many fields to complete our degree.

Then I went to New Orleans to become a witch-- officially. I have always been one unofficially.
I am now studying anthropology.

An MA with honors, believe it or not, political analysis being one of my secondary areas of study. The greater focus was IR, as my profile suggests (yet it’s too shitty to let me write the actual name of the course, thanks for another poorly-implemented feature that’s wide open to abuse from idiots)

It’s not all shakey-shakey hands, ya know. Actually, that’s just BS for the plebs to think everything’s OK. But I digress, as nobody is particularly interested in the horror that is reality.

It’s nice to see that you–and according toyou, 99.9% of your countrymen–have contempt for the arts. Actually, no it’s not, but who cares. You are all wrong, yet I have to agree that tertiary education is fast failing, and it has very little to do with the students and everything to do with a system that is corrupt from the inside out.

As it is, anyone who is studying for finals should be doing just that, not twittering and twattering about getting $5 or whatever off Fiverr. Because the system demands that you have those bits of paper. Alternatively, why not try getting an academic thesis written by one of writer’s countrymen, and realize why his nation has ‘contempt’ for the arts degrees–and then remember that writer also celebrates bronze tax certificates and has a weird crush on his prime minister, and lives with a bunch of servants to carry out his every whim.

Your contempt is noted, along with the ongoing situation is Kashmir that you support and celebrate. Thanks, but I’ll support the arts. The world needs more free-thinkers, not STEM-robots to worship at the alter of $$$$, which is the only reason that British kids go to uni these days anyway. Shame that 50% already are, which invalidates–and reveals–the British govt’s lie, and colluded with by the obscene hike in fees which has taken the British model from free tertiary education to $12k a year (not including cost of living) in two decades.

Quite frankly, who gives a shit. And yes, I am a diplomat when it need be. This is not one of those times.

I actually have a BCA - a Bachelor of Computer Applications, a 3-year degree that I did from the Bangalore University from the top Science college in Bangalore. I got it in my late 20s, willing myself to go to college even when my classmates were 6-7 years younger than me. I don’t attach much importance to it and don’t talk about it because I dropped out of one of the best engineering colleges India at 21. I did the BCA only half-heartedly, only to please my mom. So yes, I do have a degree and scored 82 percent at that, not that I care. I worked as an ERP consultant at IBM (SAP-ABAP programmer) for a couple of years after that, before I took up freelancing. IBM sacked about 30,000 people in India during that time and I was found surplus to requirement.

I didn’t? My response to her was only the part addressed to her which says “Good luck on studies! Fiverr is slow for me… yada.” I wish her good luck in whatever field she is in.

You responded to her post with something about contempt for liberal arts degrees (which I have) and I responded to your post with general thoughts on the matter. They have nothing to do with her degree plans, which I don’t know. Do you? You were the one with the liberal arts topic. I didn’t even say i entirely disagreed with you, so I’m not sure why I got a snippy response, but sorry for being interested in your topic.

Meh, it’s better than what some people are choosing to spout in other threads. I’d rather see mek-sells than people causing trouble. My life has been full of loved ones in trouble lately, so all I need is more trouble over something dumb. I’ll take the plain old newbies over that any day. 🙂

I probably did misread you, @writer. I thought you were saying it in an annoyed way, but honestly, I’ve been without sleep for a couple of days and there have been family members with serious health issues this week - it’s just been super rough. On top of all that, I broke a tooth and couldn’t eat much the past few days. The forum hasn’t been easy either since it hasn’t worked great and I’ve gotten some hassling that surprised me.

I guess I though you were being touchy when it was really me! I do not have a degree in diplomacy, though when I’m not having a **** few days I can usually be diplomatic! Sorry. 🙂

Archived