Fiverr Community Forum

I made a buyer request | advertisement for my gig

I was curious and open to see what people could do to advertise my gig, so I made a buyer request.

I received roughly 15 responses. All of them were written in poor English and vague “I will do good job” “I understand job sir.”

I stated my budget was open and only one person went above the stated amount by $5. Are people reading the buyer requests they apply for? I think in total one person mentioned the word gig.

The amount of views they promised ranged from 200 to… Millions. Yes millions. For $20. And the kicker? I checked my Fiverr gig analytics to see if a single person viewed the gigs they would be promoting. Nope. Not a single person.

What. Fiverr need some sort of stricter vetting.

2 Likes

Yeah - buyer requests can be an interesting challenge. Mainly due to newbies being told “answer 10 buyer requests a day” - which is, of course, rubbish. Sellers should only answer the buyer requests that are relevant to their skills.

You’d be better doing a search on the main site. A quick search of “promote fiverr gig” brought up over 4k results. You’d certainly have to do some filtering, but at least most of the results had some kind of relevance to what you wanted.

2 Likes

I think Fiverr is just like a street market. You go to the seller and ask “Are these strawberries local or from Spain?” and the seller looks and says “local, local naturally”. And the buyer is all happy and buys and leaves. If I approach him and ask are they from Klingon empire homemade local business, he will say… YES. Because he is there to sell whoever wants to buy. Buyers need to be smarter. And do more research when buying. So far more than 40% of my research for proper seller turns out to be the person who sells thing I get for free on the internet (PDF to word converter, OCR retyping document, Excel file creation from the printed table, proofreading, translation, raster to vector, etc) All of that you can do by yourself for free on the internet. just type what you need in the google search box instead of the Fiverr search box.

2 Likes

You can get proofreading for free on the internet? Do you mean a simple wordchecker like Grammarly? If anyone has a large and important document, I would recommend starting out with a spellchecker like Grammarly, but in the end, having human eyes on it is always worth it. Humans catch mistakes and errors that machines can’t.

Edit:
An important thing of jobs like these, I think, is the fact that people dislike them so much that they’d rather pay others to do them for them. If I were to publish an ebook, I would go to Fiverr and pay someone to format my manuscript, simply because I know it’s hell to do it by myself.

3 Likes

Yes, Grammarly Basic for necessary checks. Right now, on Fiverr, if I go randomly through GIGs descriptions, I will find 80% grammar errors that Grammarly free version would pick up. I am a teacher and lead instructor, so for us, we have access to free web pages and programs that were created by our students that do grammar check but also structural checks and other things. Many colleges have it. I also have paid PRO Grammarly to compare with free options on the internet, and it is more than enough for emails and short stories and messages. If you need to go through entire book then you pay for PRO version of programs. I am not saying program is better than human, but program is better than the pain of searching for the right human to do it on Fiverr and geting offers: Me make god jub for you. i can prufthis verifast. Veri veri.
I am compelled to hire this person ASAP for my proofreading English papers.

AND YES, 100% of my requests on Fiverr are jobs I can do but I fell I can to other more important things with my time than that so why not pay some small fee to get the work done by someone else while you do mayor things.

1 Like

Machine translation can be of some help, if that’s all you need, but if you want proper translation, it has to be done by a human (not someone who’ll just use Google Translate, of course).

A few do. The rest are applying to everything they can until they run out of offers, and then cry on the forum that they have sent 300 offers but nobody buys and Fiverr is a scam and old sellers are taking all the jobs for themselves and why won’t somebody give a chance to the newbies.

4 Likes

Regarding translation, I would say that the beta version of the doc translator web page that can only be accessed on Mozzila is fantastic. I teach in my native language and English, but sometimes I get foreigners who are weak in English, and since I do my job for 14 years, I know my ppt slides without looking at them. I tried translating my entire PPT with that web page to Hungarian, Spanish and similar, and I asked people is the translation good enough, and they said there was small minor grammar error. Still, overall translation was perfect, so I love that I can get a semi-professional translation of all my files for free in a matter of minutes on any language. The only trick to achieve this is that the English version you put in for translation has to be superb and perfect.

I write in both my native language and English, and have translated entire short stories back and forth (after or before which I had translated them myself). There are always minor imperfections, small grammatical oddities, a syntax error here or there. Of course, for personal use, such things are a bit overkill, but if you are serious about something, it’s best to get it perfect.

That said, I feel a little bad for derailing Olie’s thread.
A potential vetting could be a very basic English test to allow sellers to send requests, just so they don’t scare potential new buyers off the platform.

1 Like