I may go total A-hole on revisions to see what happens

This was an idea spawned in another thread, but I am seriously thinking of testing this on one of my gigs. What do you think?

The following posted as mod policy. I think it will chase off the ones that I need to chase off, and settle all arguments immediately.

“Modification Policy”

Please understand that there are absolutely no modifications provided with this gig. Even if I make the mistake, you will pay for revisions and here’s why.

Time is money, and even in the most expensive arenas, talent is paid for total time it takes to get a job done to the director’s vision. Actors on a stage may shoot a scene over and over again, the symphony may record a piece a dozen times till the producer says it’s right. Those additional takes are all “on the clock”, even when someone makes an obvious blunder, and these people are being paid huge salaries at union rates.

So, here in the bargain basement world of fiverr, it makes even less sense to do jobs repeatedly for changes in direction, tempo, inflection, or any other reason without further compensation. I support your desire to be Hitchcock, but remember all his actors were on the clock, even on the 20th take.

So, please understand that every single time you press the “request modification” button, I will be happy to accommodate you, but there will be a charge attached. No exceptions.

If you cannot accept this policy, then please save us both time and hassle, and select another VO artist who will give you the modifications you need.

I’d be very interested in seeing how the policy works out for you. In both my real-world voiceover job and here, if I make a mistake and cost you time and money, then it’s on me to make it right and I don’t charge extra. If the buyer makes a change then he or she pays for the extra time and effort.

Honestly though, it’s so infrequent for me to have sellers here make a modification request, it hasn’t become an issue. If it did, I might resort to the same policy.

I do hope it works out for you, and would love to know how it goes for you.

I wish y ou success and send greetings from Cancun.

Andy

Honestly, all my regular clients who repeatedly order and are professional, may be somehow exempt. This would be more of a sign at the bar for the folks who need it to be stated as such.

Like the “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone” sign over the register at the bar. In other words, be a jerk and we toss you. Treat the bartender well, and who knows how many free drinks you may get. But the sign is there to point to whenever needed.

I would have an extra that includes 3 revisions and point them to that if they want some.
If you are good at what you do of course your time is valuable.

Yes. a good idea, like an insurance policy. Maybe make them purchase up front?

There is no harm in offering that after they order as an upsell. You can send a custom order with a small discount when you do it.

That would alert them that you expect to be paid for your time working on revisions also.

You should say in the gig description that revisions are extra if you do this but say it in a gentle way.

Agree, as long as we close the “Mistake” loophole that they try to use for every kind of revision justification.

Interestingly, there is one country that I keep getting that request from… "you made mistake, read slower…you made mistake read faster…Often this because they did not order timed audio sync, but are trying to get it to fit their whiteboard animation.

Need to be able to kill that, because they then waste an hour of time arguing with you about it.

Send them an offer for the extra for the timed audio sync when they do this. Tell them the speed is not considered a mistake, and can be adjusted as they want with this extra.

Tell them that this kind of revision is not included in what they ordered but you will be happy to adjust the speed when they get that extra.

If it happens frequently you can do it as an automatic upsell whenever someone orders along with the other automatic upsell for revisions. You can even combine both extras into one and just automatically send it for every order.

Exactly, those kind of ‘mistakes’ where they are like, ‘it’s not working with my video’ – when they hadn’t provided any direction for speed, or order a timed extra-- I definitely try shut it down and help them understand that I was never given this information as part of the original job requirements, so now I’m going back doing extra work. It’s extra challenging sometimes when there are issues with language barriers.

I guess you can revert back to the gem they now have before they submit the order; they have to ‘agree that all information is accurate… etc’. So if they literally didn’t order a gig extra to do with timing, or in the requirements didn’t mention what they are asking for in their modification request, you can point to those terms they agreed to.

If I make any sort of mistake such as words missing, editing mishaps, I don’t charge for. I understand time is money, but I’m wasting theirs by messing up, so I’d feel bad asking for compensation.

You have a great and popular gig. How often is this happening say out of 10 orders you get? More than 1? I think it comes with the territory when you have lots of orders, purely by sheer numbers. Finding a good way to effectively shut it down without ruining your reputation is admirable, but tough to execute. As long as fiverr isn’t vetting their sellers or buyers, this stuff will always be an issue.

I like @misscrystal’s idea with a sort of ‘revision package’. Like insurance, and peace of mind for everyone. I like it, I might try it someday. It’s just hard to price, because sometimes the scope of these revisions are entire re-reads, and I wouldn’t want to do that 3 times on larger orders… hmm something to think about.

Send a message with every order saying something like this:

I recommend the revision and timing package to complete your order. You get a revision which can be a reread or any one revision, along with the timing sync to coordinate the voiceover to what it is being put on. Most clients choose this package and I want you to be completely satisfied. This will ensure you get the exact quality and professional sound you want.

Clients need to be guided on what to purchase. They don’t know and think they can get the whole works and do it on the cheap and this lets them know that they can have a much better experience by parting with a little more $.

You know, it’s is probably only one in 50 actually, but what annoys me is that I know as soon as it starts, it’s an hour of explaining that not reading their mind is not considered a mistake. All in all, most buyers are really good, and fortunately the vast majority of my buyers are repeat folks, who I would never hold to such a rule. Thats’ because they don’t try to take advantage.

You are wise to bring perspective to it. I posted this because I spent the better part of an hour and a half on this issue today with a $10 order, trying to explain that it isn’t a mistake because it doesn’t time exactly to your video, when you didn’t order sync.

Of course, what makes it really intolerable is when they message and say, “sounds good but redo please it is too fast” Then you send the offer and they reject it and hit you with the “But you made a mistake and read too fast” argument"

I just listened to your samples. If someone gets you for only $10 that is a remarkable bargain. You are the most professional sounding voice I’ve heard yet on this site.

Wow, thanks so much for the kind words. :grinning:

I totally hear you. I am having a similar issue right at the moment with somebody about a $10 graphic. I overdelivered (did 5 versions instead of the usual 2-3) because they gave me next to no guidance, and now it’s been an hour of back and forth. Such a waste of everybody’s time. The graphics are not my main gig and they’re the only thing I ever have trouble customers with, so I’m seriously thinking of just deactivating that gig altogether as my other gigs never seem to have this issue and I have lots of lovely repeat, very easy-to-work-with buyers. I hope you can find a way to implement the changes/boundaries you are looking for smoothly.

Yeah I hear you. The difficult ones, though somewhat sparse (still not as sparse as I’d like in my week), do take up the most time out of our day. It really is quite unbearable sometimes. Some don’t understand how hard we work. And it comes down to me looking at the cancellation button and rationalizing losing the money and time I already put in to save me from the garbage arguments people have. I don’t cancel often, but there are times when I’m at my wits end.
One time I initiated cancellation after a multi-day back and forth and the buyer was like ‘no way, you are the best for the job, I really think you can nail it, etc…’ and refused it, then finally paid up to have it done over again. Ughhhhh lol, after the excessive back and forths. *sigh. Just pay me after you asked the FIRST time three days ago and I would have gladly done it no questions asked! We honestly wasted both of our time.

I will add though, ever since I raised my base price to $10, the amount of difficult buyers I’ve had has dramatically decreased. Slightly less orders, but much more sanity.

I absolutely agree with this!

I love the idea behind this but I have tried it myself and I just can’t pull it off.

I’ve just had a $30 order for a supposedly 30-second explainer video run for over a week due to revisions to have extra scenes inserted, new buyer graphics added, and the overall script amending. All of these revisions should have been paid for BUT almost every time I send a request for more cash, buyers either switch to rude mode or start arguing about Fiverr revision policy with me.

I do now never cancel orders if a buyer says they don’t like my work. That’s just tough. Also, I try wherever possible to filter out problem buyers at the messaging stage.

One thing which I have noticed is that people who are not dealing with me directly ARE happy to pay for revisions. i.e. On quite a few occasions, someone selling my work has asked me how much a piece will be to revise so that they can pass this cost on to their end buyer who they say didn’t supply them with adequate details. In this case, maybe we should all pretend that we are middle people rather than the original creators of our work?

I think you just invented the position of fiverr agent. “You want a modification, I got your modification right here.”

Interesting point - but I disagree - and here is why.

I work with code, so your mileage may vary - On fiver there is plenty of opportunity to discuss the specification prior to agreeing a purchase. If I give a spec, I expect the deliverable to meet that spec, if it doesn’t the work isn’t being paid for because it’s not the work I specified. This is the cruel reality of business to business transactions.

You, I’m afraid, are not my employee, you are an entity which I have contracted to deliver a something, not someone with whom I’ve agreed to pay to work on it for as long as it takes. We have agreed a specification, we have agreed a price, there isn’t really any room for negotiation.

Now, for that to work, you as a seller really need to choose your contracts and clients carefully. There are those of us who are reasonable and understand what we’re asking for, you shouldn’t put unreasonable terms into your general terms to save you from vetting the contracts that you take on.

edit removed coding specific point

You mentioned paying for your mistakes? this is crazy -the person who contracted you has also had to wait for you and spend time checking the work and realising that it’s not to spec - so they have been inconvenienced already - why should they pay for something with mistakes in it?

All that refusing to correct it will achieve is that you will loose good customers when what you need to do is spend longer defining the specification.

Just to clarify - I have no issues with charging to change the specification - but mistakes and or rework required to hit the specification are not costs that should be passed to the buyer!